Anybody with a stove (log burner)?

jaymd

I looking at installing a multifuel stove in the next couple of weeks but as yet undecided which make/model to go for.Having down a little research and knowing that i need around 6/7kw (with no back boiler) but looking for peoples opinions on makes/models.

Installation will be fine as a real fire was originally installed when the house was built and flue will be cleaned before fitting.

Price wise they do vary,but budget is £1300 max for just the stove and i think i swaying towards cast rather than steel.

Cast iron is better than steel - radiates heat better and lasts longer

Have you seen this website: whatstove.co.uk

Yes have looked on whatstove.:thumbup:

Get a chimney smoke test first, as if it needs lining that will add a few hundred quid to the cost.

Smoke test has been done,as father in-law did that a few weeks ago.

A guy I work with recommended these people, they are kind of in your area.

Cheers i will give them a ring.:thumbup:

We have seen a few we like that range from £700-£1200.

My favourite is the Morso.

I don't have a stove, but I know a few people who have.

Did you see the Gadget show last night? John Bentley tested 3 log stoves. This was their best buy. http://fwd.five.tv/gadgets/home-garden/home/home-gadgets/stv-30-compact I can't find any info on the other 2.

Here is the vid if you didn't see it. http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/jon-test/wood-burning-stoves

Edited by Jim H

I don't have a stove, but I know a few people who have.

Did you see the Gadget show last night? John Bentley tested 3 log stoves. This was their best buy. http://fwd.five.tv/g.../stv-30-compact I can't find any info on the other 2.

Here is the vid if you didn't see it. http://fwd.five.tv/g...-burning-stoves

Yes i did see them last night,but way out of my price range.emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Dad's got a stove. Awesome bit of kit and his lounge is roasting hot in the winter. Needs to find a way to get that heat to the rest of the house. :D I am not 100% but with wood burning stoves you usually need the chimney lined anyway. I know Dad had a liner fitted to his.

Excellent source of cheap heating too. I think all Dad has paid for is the outlay and maintenance of his Stihl chainsaw and a MOFO hydraulic log splitter tool. All the timber he has got from advertising in the local rag for any fallen down trees, etc. Essentially disposing of unwanted timber at no actual cost. :thumbup:

I have two stoves in my house! wouldn't be without them. nuch more efficient than an open fire and nice to look at.

My brother has a log burner in his living room that he got off eBay iirc, it's made by tiger, was brand new and was a fair bit cheaper than anywhere else he could find the same model !

It doesn't half give off some heat too and the logs seem to take a while to burn so you don't have to keep chucking them in

I'll try get some pics :)

Had a Stovax stockton 5 in my last house, it was the mutts nuts. Had it fitted with a liner pipe, hearth, chimney pot for £1400. Most quotes were 2 grand plus!

You must have a big room if you need a stove that big?

Been helping Dad with firewood today. :D Thats the downside of having a stove is the effort to make firewood. Today was chopping of "long bits" to small bits and these can then be split using his log splitter device. It is one MOFO of a machine - Like this one below (but not quite the same) I found on google images.

10-ton-hydraulic-log-splitter.jpg

Not got any photos but Dad's been helping himself to bits of fallen tree (with permission :D) and we are talking about branches which are about 18" in diameter, sometimes a bit more. The chainsaw only has a blade of about 24" so it struggles sometimes. However, the machine makes mincemeat of bits once they are cut down to about 18" in length, regardless of diameter. 10 tons+ of pressure on highest power. :D Dad used to have a Iron splitting spike thing that you hit with a sledgehammer but it was unpredictable and tough work, unlike using the machine. :D

MIL got one, yes they are good, but you have to source a matured dried out wood supplier(expensive) Green wood may not be used, OH it burns OK but after eight weeks you need your chimney lining swept and RESIN gundge removed along with the pretty glass front replaced/scrapped

MIL has passed on now, house sold and the new owner chucked out the oneyear old £1870 wood burning heater :-( in a skip, wish I had known I would have given him a fiver for it to take it off his hands and not have to pay for a skip then stuck it on ebay

The only PROBLEM was getting good mature wood, we sourced a supplier but the transport cost was as much as the two ton load AND its storage

The local Garden centre sold the wood in 1 cwt bags, self transport, expensive due to small quantity, and also it was stored outside IN the rain, so very wet, it had to be dried out

No problem to me stack it around the wood burner, err not in the sitting room Jimbo :-) instructs MIL

Grand heat though, just fuel supply and storage of same was a problem Oh and cleaning the ashes out every day

Spoilt by GAS

National aka Jimbo

I have a bodart and gonay jubilee fire and its the dogs danglies!!:) Just make sure to use "kiln dried" wood as seasoned wood isnt very good and doesnt have the same heat output!!...i buy mine in bulk from a forrestry company and they charge 250 euro for 750kg delivered.....homebase/B&Q and such carge 7 euro for a 10kg back of seasoned !!!

My heating goes off at six in the evening and the fire takes over heating my downstairs to between 26-28 degrees all evening :)

K:)

we have a Town And Country Little Thurlow

http://www.townandcountryfires.co.uk/MultifuelStoves/LittleThurlow/tabid/62/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

I think that it is rated at 6kw and heats our living room very nicely.Sits low but takes a decent length of log 15" Ours sits out of the chimney breast on the hearth so less heat is lost into the wall. Although our chimney was in good condition I also had a flexible flue liner fitted all in all cost when we had it done 5 years ago was £900 fitted. Prices for trades/goods are fairly resonable in our area. An excellent investment but we have a ready supply of free wood and can buy trailer loads fairly cheapley if required too.

Few things to consider: Plan ahead re your wood supply. I try to burn at least two year old wood.

Do not be tempted to get a bigger stove than you need. Too big and you will have to vacate the room.

I would get the chimney coming out the back rather than top so in the event of a power cut you can heat a kettle.

possibly get a multifuel rather than just a woodburner. That way if wood is scarce you can easily burn coal.

Town and Country a good mid range make. Clearview probably one of the best.

If chainsawing fallen trees/branches consider training. It is very easy to get injured and at least three people locally have been killed in the last few years.

This is a small manufacturer of stoves near to us. I know of several people that have had them for a number of years. Although not to my taste they are said to be very good.

http://www.stevedowling.co.uk/dowlingstoves/

Edited by loskie

we have a Town And Country Little Thurlow

http://www.townandcountryfires.co.uk/MultifuelStoves/LittleThurlow/tabid/62/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

I think that it is rated at 6kw and heats our living room very nicely.Sits low but takes a decent length of log 15" Ours sits out of the chimney breast on the hearth so less heat is lost into the wall. Although our chimney was in good condition I also had a flexible flue liner fitted all in all cost when we had it done 5 years ago was £900 fitted. Prices for trades/goods are fairly resonable in our area. An excellent investment but we have a ready supply of free wood and can buy trailer loads fairly cheapley if required too.

Few things to consider: Plan ahead re your wood supply. I try to burn at least two year old wood.

Do not be tempted to get a bigger stove than you need. Too big and you will have to vacate the room.

I would get the chimney coming out the back rather than top so in the event of a power cut you can heat a kettle.

possibly get a multifuel rather than just a woodburner. That way if wood is scarce you can easily burn coal.

Town and Country a good mid range make. Clearview probably one of the best.

If chainsawing fallen trees/branches consider training. It is very easy to get injured and at least three people locally have been killed in the last few years.

This is a small manufacturer of stoves near to us. I know of several people that have had them for a number of years. Although not to my taste they are said to be very good.

http://www.stevedowling.co.uk/dowlingstoves/

Building Regulations: Approved Document J - Heat Producing Appliances

* J1/2/3 Heat producing appliances

Any boilers and/or fires burning oil, solid fuel or gas including incinerators, must be ventilated sufficiently to allow full combustion and exhaust. Chimneys and flues must meet safety regulations and fireplaces must resist the heat produced to keep the building safe.

Building Regulation Booklets

Click on the image to download J

There are regs ,