Quick wins for preventing condensation/fogging inside car

I know this has been done to death, but rather than talking about causes, are there any quick wins to keep condensation to a minimum? Every day my front and rear screen have condensation on the inside, the rear screen inparticular suffers. No water in footwells or spare wheel recess etc. I have tried putting silica gel packets on the parcel shelf but this hasn't helped to much. I've also cleaned all the glass but I think there is too much mositure in the car for that to be effective. How else can I keep this at bay?

Incidentally the hunch for my problem is water collecting inside the trim on the tailgate - it goes particularly heavy when we have frost suggesting there is frozen water inside :dull:

Anyone have any hints and tips - I'm hoping this topic will also help others

Quick ones only please, we have topics for the fogging complaints :rofl::thumbup:

I have the same problem, think it's where the car has recently had a full valet and not had time to properly dry so there is still moisture in the car. Also it's not helped that the car is warm during the day, and when the temp drops quickly that's the problem.

As has already been said, if you leave a window slightly open it levels the temp. Not the best solution, but the only one i can think of.

The weather we have at the moment doesn't help.

If the car is sat in bright sunshine, but low temperature, over the course of the day it will warm and eventually be warmer than the outside air. When the sun goes down the outside temp drops quickly but the inside temp can't keep up; condensation is inevitable. The better the car is at letting the air flow, the less pronounced the effect.

Edited by Lou_O

not sure why yours is getting damp though, I have an 06 vRS which doesn't suffer at all, there has got to be water ingress somewhere

Surely you don't have to have water ingress (ie a leak) - you only have to get into the car wearing a wet coat or wet shoes - that's enough to leave residual dampness overnight?

Apparently if you drive with the temp as high as possible for 5-10mins and then open the windows when its cold outside it lets all the warm moist air out and brings in the cool dry air! I try it every few days and its not only refreshing but seems to work! :)

ive always had this problem with my Leon,Takes 10-15 mins of the Blowers to clear it :thumbdown:

Seems to be common on MK2 leons aswell wondering if its commong on MK2 Octavia and MK5 Golf aswell

Do you normally run with the air-con off?

I only ask because it in itself is a dehumidifier. So a long journey with air con on should help.

I've had problems with interior condensation freezing during the recent unpleastness. Two culprits - melting ice off my shoes pooling on the rubber mat (only condensating on windscreen directly infront of drivers seat), and a damp frost guard thrown in the passenger footwell in the mornings. I now throw it in the boot instead with the load cover pulled over and seems to help.

Yours sounds a good deal wetter. If it is residual "trapped" moisture rather than an active leak you could aways run a dehumidifier in it for a morning some weekend?

Niall

I have the same problem, think it's where the car has recently had a full valet and not had time to properly dry so there is still moisture in the car. Also it's not helped that the car is warm during the day, and when the temp drops quickly that's the problem.

That is a real problem at this time of year. It's why I'd never get the inside of a car valeted until at least the Spring.

You suspicion of the rear tailgate is probably the right one, if you're sure other areas are dry, and it's particularly bad on the rear screen. Is your rear washer working properly?

Might be worth popping the tailgate cover off and checking: http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/tailgate-cover-removal

Steve

i always run with "ECO" mode on my Climate Control

I thought in "ECO" mode it's behaving as a heater only, that is, with the dehumidifier switched off.

The air con only works when outside temps are above about 2 deg C, so you won't get any dehumidifying effect if its 2 deg or below outside.

Even when the outside temperatures are below 2C I have noticed that changing from "AUTO" to "ECO" results in the windscreen beginning to mist up, hence I think your assertion isn't entirely correct.

Edited by AnotherGareth

I'm getting this on my new 60 plate VRS and it's really starting to **** me off.

It takes me 10 minutes to drive to work in the morning and I normally have to spend 5-10 minutes clearing the inside front and back glass before I can drive. I park next to a couple of the guys in my team who arrive at the same time as me (one in a 56plate Clio, the other in an 99 Passat) and yet when leaving the office at 5pm my car is the only one that's got all the thick condensation on the inside.

I'm going to get it booked into the local dealer for them to have a look at as I'm sick of it happening, especially when there is nothing wet being left in the car. I simple walk 6 paces from my front door and get into the car so it's not even as if I'm wet or carrying water in off my shoes.

Thanks for all the input. Condensation is the achillies heal of the Octavia so you are lucky if your car is fully water tight.

Part of my problem is that it is only a 5 mile trip to work for me and takes less than 10 mins. as such having to spend a few minutes wiping windows or with the airocn and heaters on to clear condensation is a pain as I can't make teh time up on the road. I gnerally have the aircon on which should remove moisture as mentioned, but there is clearly something else at work here.

Cheers for the comments Wardy - my rear wash/wipe does work as I use it often.

Even when the outside temperatures are below 2C I have noticed that changing from "AUTO" to "ECO" results in the windscreen beginning to mist up, hence I think your assertion isn't entirely correct.

This always tend to cause a bit on confusion really. The ECON button is defined as one 'for switching off cooling system'.

In this mode, the interior temperature cannot be lower than the outside temperature (not really an issue at this time of year). The interior is not cooled and the air is not dehumidified.

Page 131 of the Owner's Manual (Pre-FL).

FWIW, I only tend to use the 'ECON' mode when I've got the windows open. As there's no point in having the air cooled/heated and de-humidified, for it to go straight out of an open window :)

Steve

Cheers for the comments Wardy - my rear wash/wipe does work as I use it often.

It's just to check that any of the fluid isn't leaking out really, as the design of the pipework isn't the best. Presume you've checked the boot floor and spare wheel well? Usually if you do have a problem it'll seep through from inside the boot lid over the seal and down into the boot.

I am convinced that people who have a major condensation problem do have a leak into the car.

My vRS (bought new in Oct 2008) has never had this problem and has been bone dry inside all through the current winter weather. It has stood out in the recent heavy rain and no misting problem at all.

When setting off on a cold or damp morning there is some condensation on the windscreen and rear hatch, but using the Demist function clears it within a mile.

I always leave the aircon on the AUTO setting.

Appreciate that hauptmann but leaks are a common problem on Skodas, the number of other threads in this forum suggests that. This thread if for quick wins to try and create a better environment inside the car of shift the fogging quicker.

I'll check it out Wardy, assumed that as rear wash worked then it would be ok

I know this has been done to death, but rather than talking about causes, are there any quick wins to keep condensation to a minimum? Every day my front and rear screen have condensation on the inside, the rear screen inparticular suffers. No water in footwells or spare wheel recess etc. I've also cleaned all the glass but I think there is too much mositure in the car for that to be effective. How else can I keep this at bay?

Incidentally the hunch for my problem is water collecting inside the trim on the tailgate - it goes particularly heavy when we have frost suggesting there is frozen water inside :dull:

Anyone have any hints and tips - I'm hoping this topic will also help others

Quick ones only please, we have topics for the fogging complaints :rofl::thumbup:

I've had problems with interior condensation freezing during the recent unpleastness.

Yours sounds a good deal wetter. If it is residual "trapped" moisture rather than an active leak you could aways run a dehumidifier in it for a morning some weekend?

Niall

A great thread (although the number of replies will have told you that already!) I too have had the same persistent & frustrating issue - seemingly fixed for a short while but back again big time !

I don't have any earth shattering answers - been thro' all the trial & error stuff - rear wash wipe/pipework faulty, door seals, pollen filter etc etc. I've done all the window cleaning, scraped ice off some mornings, sit every (ok most) mornings (& nights) before I can drive.

Personally I am sure the water is collecting in the car when it is wet outside or it's washed ! - always seems worse after a wash. I've cleared all the door drain holes etc, don't have damp carpets etc. I can run every day with the heaters on full pelt to clear the windows (but haven't tried the opening the window trick - will do now !)...to no avail.

Hearing that someone has the same issues with a 60 reg car puts me right off buying another (& it was the plan for a while).

I get bad misting occasionally. It takes a while to clear but seems to occur if the temperature/humidity changes a lot.

Never a problem if cold and dry all the time or wet all the time. I leave my system on AUTO all the time and do not have an ECO button .

Surely you don't have to have water ingress (ie a leak) - you only have to get into the car wearing a wet coat or wet shoes - that's enough to leave residual dampness overnight?

I've had loads of wet feet going in and out the car and it doesn't suffer from condensation. Personally I'd keep the aircon on, air recirculation off, temp set to about 23-24 and take out the carpet mats (just incase) replace with rubber ones in winter.

Other than that it must have water ingress, even a very very small leak will make it happen. You may not see wet carpets etc. etc. but its usually always water ingress. Check the front screen is sealed correct too if its ever had a replacement these can cause trouble going on past experiences with my other cars.