THE DEFINITIVE Top gear Skoda Yeti thread!

fuzzybunny

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I got mine before everyone else now wanting one!

Were there two Monsters? He intially described a 1.8 TSi but badges and engine note were 2.0 CRd 4x4. I'm also sure that there were two different styles of alloy wheel shown but colour and registrations remained the same.

Now off to watch it all again on the magic box to check it out.

But - and this is crucial - it DIDN'T break!!

I was expecting them to give the Yeti the same treatment they famously gave the Toyota HiLux a few years back (submerssion in Severn Estuary etc.). That certainly did Toyota's reputation no harm...

I was particularly amused when they bought the Range Rover into the test... as I just sold my 08 one and we use the Yeti instead. :rofl:

Sums it up really, great car for the price. :thumbup:

Yeti is trending world wide on Twitter, which is a big thing for those not conversant in Twitter.

Just goes to prove all those naysayers about Clarkson wrong- like him or loathe him, he is a very accomplished road tester and knows his cars.

As others have said, as an 'early adopter', feeling quite smug at the moment.

Edited by mwas123

I'd buy it if I didn't have mine already. That car will have so much provenance that when it visits classic car shows in 25 years time, it'll be the star :rofl:

There was ONE negative...

...apparently all you Yeti owners are old :giggle:

Interesting that, I thought. I have never thought the Yeti was aimed at any particular age group.

I personally thought it is more youthful than the VW Golf, but a lot of my coursemates are driving those!

Good review,looks like the waiting times will go up by a couple of months with the increase in orders!.

I remeber when I was going to order mine back in April, the waiting list was 3 months!

Luckily for me they had one in stock in the spec I wanted and had it registered etc in 5 days!

I have owned a Felicia, Fabia, Octavia and now since Jan 04th my brilliant Yeti. I know I'm preaching to the converted on this 'smug and happy' forum but it is without a doubt a fantastic piece of kit. Happy days :rofl:

Whatever the negatives, I thought it was a good review if a bit extreme - the fire, Donnington and that stupid tattooist but it proved a point and I liked it. It made far more sense than dumping a Beetle in South Africa or for what it's worth, buying an Atom that as no radio, cup holders :rofl: or other creature comforts. Back to the film on five now for me.

Quite a funny thread really. Many people automatically assumed that JC would slate the Yeti. Others just go spare about him and the whole Top Gear method of entertainment.

Then the review is of one basically of high praise. All the Yeti owners are delighted - as well as SUK I would think. How much is 10+ mins of free advertising BBC2 on a Sunday evening worth?! Perhaps James will let us know if he has a quiet Monday....

So, to sum up. JC and TG like the Yeti (as per the related magazine). TG continues in its previous format and the vast majority of car liking people (and many others who don't particularly like cars) have been entertained. That's what it is all about.

No doubt plenty of people who hate it, watched it all the way through just so they could complain afterwards. Funny old world.... emoticon-0105-wink.gif

PS In a bit of a 'doh!' moment posted this on the second TG thread..... emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Edited by aerofurb

Given the tweets, I think many non-car people / snobs now have new answers to their original jokes, converting from answer (A) to answer (B):

How do you double the value of a Skoda?

(A) Fill it with petrol. (B) Get on the waiting list

What do you call a Skoda on a hill?

(A) A miracle. (B) A Skoda or a muddy hill? A Yeti

What do you call a Skoda convertible?

(A) A skip. (B) They don't make one

What do you call a turbo power Skoda?

(A) A lawnmower. (B) Almost all of them are turbo powered...

Still don't like Clarkson........but I wonder how much a second hand Yeti is worth now :rofl::rofl:

Just out of interest, how much IS one worth now? Sept 09 Amazonian Green 140 bhp TDi (if that's the correct letters - diesel manual) Elegance WITH sunroof (no satnav or park assist though). Just up to 20,000.

TK

Scarborough

From a thread on the Rotorheads flying forum on PPRuNe [ http://www.pprune.or...-gear-good.html ]

'As the organiser for this shoot, can I just step-in before the barrack room spins out of control?

Car manufacturer design engineers (VW) consulted on loadings, mounting points, CoGs etc. Platform built and installed by the world's best film "action vehicles" engineers. CAA consulted and approvals obtained.

(The Yeti, by the way, I would buy tomorrow. Excellent strength and load capabilities. No additional strengthening was needed and the "pad" bolted direct into the pillars that go straight into the main monocoque of the chassis. Standard roof loading no problem.)

Whole exercise rehearsed successfully in incremental stages several weeks ahead. Speeds agreed. Course agreed. 2-way radio contact between car & heli. Agreed "break, break" procedure controlled by observer in camera car talking to pilot direct.

So, topendtorque, hope you enjoy the real facts. And the 22 is an Instrument Trainer (no longer made) which spends its active life in instruction. The lights are a requirement by the UK CAA for night-flying by 22s. 44s also have similar kit for night.( When the 22 was first allowed to fly in a UK night it had to have a flare kit!)'

[And I still haven't sussed how to embed links on this forum!]

From a thread on the Rotorheads flying forum on PPRuNe [ http://www.pprune.or...-gear-good.html ]

'As the organiser for this shoot, can I just step-in before the barrack room spins out of control?

Car manufacturer design engineers (VW) consulted on loadings, mounting points, CoGs etc. Platform built and installed by the world's best film "action vehicles" engineers. CAA consulted and approvals obtained.

(The Yeti, by the way, I would buy tomorrow. Excellent strength and load capabilities. No additional strengthening was needed and the "pad" bolted direct into the pillars that go straight into the main monocoque of the chassis. Standard roof loading no problem.)

Whole exercise rehearsed successfully in incremental stages several weeks ahead. Speeds agreed. Course agreed. 2-way radio contact between car & heli. Agreed "break, break" procedure controlled by observer in camera car talking to pilot direct.

So, topendtorque, hope you enjoy the real facts. And the 22 is an Instrument Trainer (no longer made) which spends its active life in instruction. The lights are a requirement by the UK CAA for night-flying by 22s. 44s also have similar kit for night.( When the 22 was first allowed to fly in a UK night it had to have a flare kit!)'

[And I still haven't sussed how to embed links on this forum!]

So who needs a sunroof when you can have a CAA approved helicopter-pad :giggle: So come on SUK when will that become an option :wonder: :rofl:

Oh Skoda Auto CZ I think you can now safely up the roof loading limits and include aircraft in the accessories brochure ;)

Brilliant good old Snow Monster B)

TP