Staging and Needle Sweeping?

My_Yeti

I am currently driving a Citroen C5 that has fog light cornering and it is very good. It is surprising how much easier it makes seeing around a corner.

A colleague has just picked up a new Audi. The first thing he did was make me sit in the front seat and do the needle sweep thing. He practically did a dance he was so excited. Each to their own, and I am not going to mock as I am the person who likes the red wine/cream interior mock up that James at Allams posted yesterday.

I might be the only person who feel this, but I always thought "needle sweep" looks quite cool, needles going up and down, left and right, all singing all dancing. Makes the car feel more alive??!!!............

I won't be getting it done to my car if I did not like it myself!!

So +1

Its VCDS(Vag-com) name for needle sweep

So the OP wants to get his instruments to do the "needle sweep" dance twice? :p

Oh well, little things please.......................................(complete as required)

So the OP wants to get his instruments to do the "needle sweep" dance twice? :p

Oh well, little things please.......................................(complete as required)

Im sure it says a lot about me in your eyes but I actually think the start up needle sweep is a nice little touch and looks cool to boot! Would I get bored of it after a while? Maybe. Does it do any harm? Nahh! :thumbup:

Im sure it says a lot about me in your eyes but I actually think the start up needle sweep is a nice little touch and looks cool to boot! Would I get bored of it after a while? Maybe. Does it do any harm? Nahh! :thumbup:

I think it's a neat feature to, I love it when the bike does it :) and I like the way that on my Avensis the instrument lighting fades in and the needles sweep on turning on the ignition. Little things maybe, but if we where all the same, then the world would be a boring place.

Im sure it says a lot about me in your eyes but I actually think the start up needle sweep is a nice little touch and looks cool to boot! Would I get bored of it after a while? Maybe. Does it do any harm? Nahh! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

+1

I activated the staging feature on SWMBO's Yeti a few weeks back.

I also activated the cruise control information, when cruise is activated you get the speed info and some other bits and pieces come up on the maxidot screen, works a treat on the Yeti but won't activate on my Superb emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Oh well.

I also activated the cruise control information, when cruise is activated you get the speed info and some other bits and pieces come up on the maxidot screen, works a treat on the Yeti but won't activate on my Superb emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Oh well.

Did YOU do it (if so, how?) or was it done by a dealer with the necessary computer gubbins?

Oh well.

AH another thing to add to my list. Can you please list the exact codes to change? To help the VCDS person doing it.

And what does the screen show now when you activate the cruise? Does it override what is there normally? Do you still have a choice as to what is displayed? Can you show some pictures please? Thanks.

AH another thing to add to my list. Can you please list the exact codes to change? To help the VCDS person doing it.

And what does the screen show now when you activate the cruise? Does it override what is there normally? Do you still have a choice as to what is displayed? Can you show some pictures please? Thanks.

I have tried this on my Octavia long ago and nothing happened. Only the green light indication on dash lights up. :wonder:

Edited by alberg

Hi!

The set speed shows in in the left bottom corner, and when

1) the cruise control is "on" and

2) the car is moving

the cruising speed that has been set shows, whether the cruise control is activated or not. But since I have a KM/H reading I can't be sure if the cruise speed shows in MPH or KMH - can anyone who has tried this with a British car confirm. When the cruise control is "off" the stock info, ie total travelled distance, is shown in this place.

And when confirming this outpout (if I may call it so) with a standalone TomTom GPS unit, this reading is very accurate (usually 1 kmh more than TT speed) as opposed to the speedo that shows 5-6 kmh more than the actual speed.

Hi!

The set speed shows in in the left bottom corner, and when

1) the cruise control is "on" and

2) the car is moving

the cruising speed that has been set shows, whether the cruise control is activated or not. But since I have a KM/H reading I can't be sure if the cruise speed shows in MPH or KMH - can anyone who has tried this with a British car confirm. When the cruise control is "off" the stock info, ie total travelled distance, is shown in this place.

And when confirming this outpout (if I may call it so) with a standalone TomTom GPS unit, this reading is very accurate (usually 1 kmh more than TT speed) as opposed to the speedo that shows 5-6 kmh more than the actual speed.

Thanks raz.

I found your picture on this thread that shows it (sort of!). But enough to understand what it does.

MFD.jpg

I would have done a how-to but I literally stumbled across the cruise control option when activating the staging and lock/unlock beeps (as found on my Superb) at SWMBO's request.

In a nutshell - Open 17-Instruments, open Adaptation and 'cruise control display' or similar will show up in the drop down menu, click on it and enable it, Job done - providing your dash allows it.

The cruise info that comes up looks very similar to what you get on the B6 Passat.

The set/resume speed is shown in smaller numbers if the cruise is not active, the numbers become larger when cruise is active. Turn the cruise off and the Odo reappears.

Edited by dstev2000

• 4 weeks later...

A small comment on the fuel consumption calibration: I ended up using either 101 or 102% (can't remember exatcly) so the maxi-dot is quite accurate even to start with. My five or so test always gave a figure that was between these two, and I never got around to try if the setting can bet set on decimals as well. Anyway the car's displayed consumption matches very well to the calculated one.

And I know the needle sweep doesn't provide any real use, but it looks nice!

My Maxidot seems to be consistently 9% out.

Remind me, where in VCDS do I change and what figure do you suggest?

Hi!

It's in Instruments -> Adaptation, and if the actual consumption is 9% more than the maxidot shows, enter 109 for the correction factor. That seems unreasonably high error margin, how are you checking the actual consumption? I got tired of trying to fill up to the brim, since that method either took forever or I ended up with big differences in how full I was able to get the tank, so I changed tactics: I now fill until the pump snaps off the first time. If possible, I try to always use the exact same pump, but also with various pumps I get accurate figures, so this works much better. As a downside the total range decreases, since there's still room for several liters of fuel after this.

Thanks the_raz. That is what I wanted to know. Yes it does seem high, but it is also fairly consistent.....

Maybe I'll just go by the first click from now on, it will cost me less to fill up emoticon-0140-rofl.gif, just have to do it more oftenemoticon-0106-crying.gif

I'll check it next tankful.

Mike