Detacheable Tow Hitch On Yeti

Ajhas

Hi,

I am ordering a 1.8TSi Yeti Elegance and need to have a Towbar fitted when vehicle arrives at UK dealer.

I have already specified the " Towbar Preparation Option" on the factory order but the actual Tow hitch

will have to be fitted here.

I have seen a Westfalia detacheable ball installation on a thread from member "aerofurb" back in March 2010

which looked really neat and good quality . Also Westfalia website is very good and gives lots of details and

pictures etc . The Westfalia detacheable ball assy looks really neat and excellent quality.

However my local dealer seems to prefer to fit a " WITTER " ball assy. Unfortunately I cannot find any photos

or details of what the Wittter detacheable hitch looks like or how it works.

Do any forum members use the Witter and if so what do they think of it compared to Westfalia?.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks John

There are many threads on towbars on a Snow Monster. keep looking....

And this one is a thread that is on the forum front page as we speak... http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/154315-towbar-costs-again/

I have a Westfalia detachable and the manuals that came with it (and indeed the whole towbar) have Škoda part numbers and say things like "Thank you for ordering a genuine Škoda detachable towbar..." The towbar itself also has a ready made area for it in the boot box... I think that says it all. You won't get something that is that genuine fit-for purpose from any other make I'd wager.

Hi,

I am ordering a 1.8TSi Yeti Elegance and need to have a Towbar fitted when vehicle arrives at UK dealer.

I have already specified the " Towbar Preparation Option" on the factory order but the actual Tow hitch

will have to be fitted here.

I have seen a Westfalia detacheable ball installation on a thread from member "aerofurb" back in March 2010

which looked really neat and good quality . Also Westfalia website is very good and gives lots of details and

pictures etc . The Westfalia detacheable ball assy looks really neat and excellent quality.

However my local dealer seems to prefer to fit a " WITTER " ball assy. Unfortunately I cannot find any photos

or details of what the Wittter detacheable hitch looks like or how it works.

Do any forum members use the Witter and if so what do they think of it compared to Westfalia?.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks John

Try the Chester Towbar Centre 01244 324034 and test their advice. You may be adviced to go for the detatchable as the fixed may affect the reversing sensors.

Incidentally who is your local dealer? Skoda Dealer prices are higher.

Edited by Terfyn

A point to remember is that if you have the 'Skoda' tow hitch it will fit in the plastic stowage tray, other makes may not.

Chris.

Chris - Am I correct in thinking that the "Skoda" tow hitch is in fact the Westfalia swan neck detachable tow ball ?

If so that is the one I would like to use after seeing " aerofurb "s photos from last March in Yeti- Owners Picture Thread.

Many thanks for all your useful comments guys

John

The 'genuine' Skoda detachable towbar is made by Westfalia. As others have said, it all fits very neatly in the polystyrene box beside the spare (that I have..) and even comes with gloves, bag for putting the removed bit in etc etc.

It sounds to me like your dealer has a deal going with the local towbar fitter/supplier hence his want to point you at a Witter unit. Perhaps the Witter is cheaper - perhaps the Witter doesn't have the same quality as the Westfalia does.... Personally, I'm happy to pay a bit extra and have a genuine 'Skoda' part fitted. Saves an awful lot of potential hassle should there ever be any warranty issues (not just the towbar but the wiring etc).

I had Allams fit mine (I, too had the factory towbar prep) and this was completed one Saturday morning without any sign of disturbance, excellent job.

Truth is I haven't towed anything with mine yet - I'm still building the plane that is to be towable (sans wings ;) )!

Chris - Am I correct in thinking that the "Skoda" tow hitch is in fact the Westfalia swan neck detachable tow ball ?

If so that is the one I would like to use after seeing " aerofurb "s photos from last March in Yeti- Owners Picture Thread.

See my post at 15:27 - second reply. That is exactly what I said. The Westfalia IS the genuine Skoda towbar.

I just found this on the Octavia forum. Pictures of the Witter towbar on a Scout:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/190423-octavia-scout-advice/page__view__findpost__p__2272186

Hi 900000,

Many thanks for your help . I agree the Westfalia one looks much better and I will insist on that one being fitted.

Also sincere thanks to everyone else who responded to my original post. Your comments have been a big help

Cheers

Hi 900000,

Many thanks for your help . I agree the Westfalia one looks much better and I will insist on that one being fitted.

Also sincere thanks to everyone else who responded to my original post. Your comments have been a big help

Cheers

Pleasure. As stated by many shop around for best price. But just remember to get the full version at some point you need to get to a Škoda dealer to do the software upgrade to tell the car about the towbar. This costs about £50 if done seperately from the towbar fitting. The independent towbar places will of course charge you less BUT they won't do the software upgrade or use integrated electrics and you will lose out on all the modern advantages of TSP (towing stability programme) that works with ESP, the alarm function if someone unhooks the van/trailer when the car is parked, etc, etc.

Good luck and happy towing!

It's possibly been answered before, but is there a reason why SUK should deprive us in the UK of a fully installed Westfalia Factory Fit Detachable Towbar including single electric socket, option PK1, priced at €580 Eur as available on Skoda Europe configurators?

Just to remind you that one would appear to be getting a bigger cooling fan with towbar prep from the factory, which would make sense, whereas if you don't go down that route, you don't get the bigger fan....Also in theory, it shouldn't take so long to fit as you don't have to wait for the glue to set on the frame....

Not exactly sure what else you get with towbar prep.

Mike

It's possibly been answered before, but is there a reason why SUK should deprive us in the UK of a fully installed Westfalia Factory Fit Detachable Towbar including single electric socket, option PK1, priced at €580 Eur as available on Skoda Europe configurators?

Sorry, but I thought it was still a "dealer fit" in Europe. Don't think any come out of the factory actually with the bar fitted.

Sorry, but I thought it was still a "dealer fit" in Europe. Don't think any come out of the factory actually with the bar fitted.

No, the fully installed westfalia detachable towbar including single electrics is available (well today anyway!) as an original factory fit option (PK1) at a cost of €580 on the Skoda Germany website Yeti configurator.

Pleasure. As stated by many shop around for best price. But just remember to get the full version at some point you need to get to a Škoda dealer to do the software upgrade to tell the car about the towbar. This costs about £50 if done seperately from the towbar fitting. The independent towbar places will of course charge you less BUT they won't do the software upgrade or use integrated electrics and you will lose out on all the modern advantages of TSP (towing stability programme) that works with ESP, the alarm function if someone unhooks the van/trailer when the car is parked, etc, etc.

Good luck and happy towing!

Not too far from the OP, but 'Towbars Direct' (who are located (in a filling station) on the A49 just south of Junction 10 of the M56 will do Westfalia towbars at a discount and apparently they have the 'kit' to set the electronics as well!! http://www.towbarsdirect.co.uk/ Their 'proper' address is :

Norbrook Trailers Ltd Norcott Brook Garage,Tarporley Rd,Whitley,Warrington,Cheshire,WA4 4DS Telephone: 01925 730264

Though I think they now do their 'online' stuff via ebay. I will call in next time I pass and check...

• 1 year later...

Since this thread has been around a while now. Can anyone post a picture of the Witter Tow bar installed?

I'd prefer the Witter since I can get the Flange bar but I would also like to use the Skoda cover/panel when the tow bar is removed. I just need to know that everything fits behind the bumper when it's not installed.

Happy Days

I have had a dealer fitted genuine towbar on both my yetis, both fitted on new cars from Allams, the removeable westfalia is superb, very tidy and neat. I would ask your dealer for a price on this. I rang around for prices on the new yeti and Allams supplied and fitted cheaper than i could get it done locally.

Regards J

You guys get it too good. Skoda dealers here in Australia charge $1700 - $1800 for tow bar supply and fit.

PF Jones prices seem reasonable and even with £160 or so shipping it's cheaper than buying local.

I'd just buy the Westfalia but I want removable and flange. If the Witter removable doesn't allow the Skoda tow bar cover to be put in place when the tow bar is removed, I'll just get the Westfalia. I can find the Witter sold at plenty of places online and pictures on other vehicles but none installed on a Yeti.

Happy Days.

• 1 month later...

For info:

I had a Westfalia detachable towbar, Westfalia wiring loom and towing module fitted last week (these are the exact parts that are supplied from Skoda dealers, and are classed as Original Equipment) The loom is the full front-to-back-loom, WITHOUT 12V supply for caravan battery charging, and connects to the cars wiring loom and plug connectors without any need for any wiring to be cut, and NO Scotchloks being used (any fitters using the commonly supplied NON-OE wiring loom, made by Right Connections, will be using Scotchloks to fit some of the wiring).

The going rate for the Westfalia OE set-up, supplied and fitted by independant fitters, including mobile fitters, in my area and including the car re-coded to suit is £500 all done.

As an example only, Northwest Towbars in Stockport, who can supply and fit the Westfalia towbar and loom charge £500, they do the towbar fitting for the local Skoda main dealer as well.

The Westfalia towbar is available online for £200 and the Westfalia loom is available for £140 (£340 total) so the fitting and coding is costing you £160, which I think is worth the money due to the amount of work involved, and the re-coding. NOTE that you will need to buy the parts to fit to the cut-out in the bumper that will be made, to allow access to the quick-coupling part of the towbar. These parts are available from Skoda dealers for approx. £25, or you can buy, so I am told, the complete rear bumper "skirt" for around £86 ready done with the cut-out, frame and hatch ready fitted.

Part numbers for the required Skoda parts, approx. £25.00 from main dealer (I used this Skoda dealer, mail order, very helpful parts department www.bickertonskoda.co.uk)

BUMPER INFILL PANEL 5L6807499U34 approx. £17.00

CLIP-IN FRAME 5L6807518 approx. £8.00 (DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE FASTENS THIS PART, I used small nuts and bolts as well, hidden from view when fitted)

Anyone wants to know who I would NOT use, after a recent experience, then PM me and I`ll tell you the tale.