engine choice

john96

Guys,

Had a test drive in 1.4se, enjoyed it! However I reckon I do around 10k P.A so should I be looking at the diesel or even the 1.2? I assume the performance of all 3 is quite similar, but in these expensive times is the diesel mpg worth the extra outlay?

official figures (combined) are;

1.2- 44.1

1.4- 41.5

2.0(110)- 52.3.

I know real life gives totally different figures, anyone have their averages to hand, especially the 1.4 and 2.0 110.

I have no average as of yet - got the car last friday.

However, I can tell you that 70mph cruising yields ~42mpg (0.67l/10km) with the 1.2 TSI.

If you don't plan on loading the car up regularly, and don't traverse mountainranges, the 1.2TSI is very likeable, and extremely flexible. Drove a 185km stretch today with cruise control on (115km/h), and not once needed I change down from 6th - not even after passing through a toll booth at 60-70km/h.

SWMBO is getting around 38mpg from the 1.2TSI and that is mostly short journeys. I get about 34-36 when pushing along the motorways on a longer run.

SWMBO is getting around 38mpg from the 1.2TSI and that is mostly short journeys. I get about 34-36 when pushing along the motorways on a longer run.

i get 42mpg on motorways.

round town and commuting i get 47 to 50 mpg.

overall average, according to the maxidot, is 43.5mpg over 5000 miles

The Wife's getting an average of 42mpg from her 1.2 - a real mix of A and B roads and across town.

From my calculations I reckon just to break even on buying a diesel over three years she'd need to do 20,000 miles a year.

Edited by HKPhooey

Have you seen this website? You key in the vehicles you're considering, and the price you'll pay for them, and the site calculats how long it will take you to recover the extra cost of buying a diesel (ie break even) from the cost savings due to better fuel consumption.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/petrol-vs-diesel/

Have you seen this website? You key in the vehicles you're considering, and the price you'll pay for them, and the site calculats how long it will take you to recover the extra cost of buying a diesel (ie break even) from the cost savings due to better fuel consumption.

:thumbup: i like that. - fuel prices are realistic too..

If it was me, it would be a Diesel, but, i've never owned a petrol car for 11 years... well, ever actually!

Al.

During our visit to a dealer last weekend to test drive a Yeti, the dealer went to lengths to stress that a diesel would not be suitable for us (approx 5k a year, mostly shortish journeys) due to potential problems with the diesel particulate filter. I already knew this and we wanted a petrol anyway, but good to note he was on the ball there. He did say its amazing how many don't listen and then complain when the vehicle shuts down and they're not covered by the warranty/breakdown.

I bought the 1.2 TSI specifically as I do a low mileage and short trips. I get about 4o mpg on the motorways when I go on them at a steady 70; probably around 35 mpg overall with lots of short trips. Only 3,000 on the clock so far so it's still running in! It's probably the best car out there for getting big car space with small car economy. In SE trim it is tremendous value and cheap to run; and the quality belies the price.

My 1.4 only has 2600 on the clock and it still feels tight. Round town, cold starts and lots of very short ( under 1 mile ) trips during the day, around 30 mpg, on a run 37 to 39.

Bear in mind, if you ever think of remapping, the 110 diesel has been done to good effect , but currently no Uk solution for the 1.4 and 1.2. Hoping they will sort it soon.

As for performance, it really isn't too bad the old 1.4.

Engine refinement is absolutely top notch, so quiet and smooth at tickover, you hardly know its running. Slight gruff note under hard acceleration, but I kinda like that.

I'm a 25k miles a year man, including a couple of 1800 mile round trips across France on the autoroutes. Diesel does it for me!

We're low mileage users (6k p.a.) but diesel has a better residual on PCP (I believe, although I've never checked this. :giggle: ). I like the mid-range torque surge also.

Guess I'll just have to drive more miles !

Interesting that PCP us 10k p.a. minimum. Backs-up the Parkers calculations. :thumbup:

Edited by Silly Old Hector

It should not all be down to fuel consumption. The OP may just find that he prefers the way the diesel CR units provide their power and torque. I will not do nearly enough miles to make my CR170 worthwhile if purely viewed from a fuel/cost perspective but I just much prefer the lazy way the diesel goes about it business. If you can only afford one of the cheaper petrols then fair enough but I think it would be folly to not even give one of the diesel units a try.

Just remember if you can only afford one of the cheaper petrol cars, you can join the "underclass" like some of us. ;)

"Underclasses of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your particulate filters"

We're low mileage users (6k p.a.) but diesel has a better residual on PCP (I believe, although I've never checked this. :giggle: ). I like the mid-range torque surge also.

Guess I'll just have to drive more miles !

Interesting that PCP us 10k p.a. minimum. Backs-up the Parkers calculations. :thumbup:

The residual value is offset by the extra interest.......... :(

It should not all be down to fuel consumption. The OP may just find that he prefers the way the diesel CR units provide their power and torque. I will not do nearly enough miles to make my CR170 worthwhile if purely viewed from a fuel/cost perspective but I just much prefer the lazy way the diesel goes about it business. If you can only afford one of the cheaper petrols then fair enough but I think it would be folly to not even give one of the diesel units a try.

Same here with my (yeti to be) CR170. I've just traded in my 10 month old Octavia L&K 1.8TSI DSG estate - purchased after 25 years of diesel cars for the 170 Yeti diesel. No financial logic or sense whatsoever in all that. The 1.8TSI petrol experience was excellent (and the DSG) but with the Yeti I decided I wanted to go back to diesel but retain the power of the 1.8TSI with the immediate economy of the diesel and the CR170 seems to do that. It would take me about 4 years to break even (12000 miles per year) but for me the economy factor for the day of the journey is more important - otherwise I might look at my bank balance and decide against a trip out. The additional capital cost will by then be past history. I decided very reluctantly against the DSG as on the Yeti it does seem to affect fuel consumption in the opposite direction of the DSG on a 1.8TSI Octavia. The 1.8TSI did however give me a taste for a powerful engine (despite my pipe and slipper membership). So basically I like my day to day running economy in my preferred vehicle (Powerful Yeti) regardless of initial capital cost.

Same here with my (yeti to be) CR170. I've just traded in my 10 month old Octavia L&K 1.8TSI DSG estate - purchased after 25 years of diesel cars for the 170 Yeti diesel. No financial logic or sense whatsoever in all that. The 1.8TSI petrol experience was excellent (and the DSG) but with the Yeti I decided I wanted to go back to diesel but retain the power of the 1.8TSI with the immediate economy of the diesel and the CR170 seems to do that. It would take me about 4 years to break even (12000 miles per year) but for me the economy factor for the day of the journey is more important - otherwise I might look at my bank balance and decide against a trip out. The additional capital cost will by then be past history. I decided very reluctantly against the DSG as on the Yeti it does seem to affect fuel consumption in the opposite direction of the DSG on a 1.8TSI Octavia. The 1.8TSI did however give me a taste for a powerful engine (despite my pipe and slipper membership). So basically I like my day to day running economy in my preferred vehicle (Powerful Yeti) regardless of initial capital cost.

+1 re waiting for/reasons for Yeti170. (What should I have paid for it? Anyone know?)

Fuel Prices WILL rise. - so it wont take as long for you to recoup the additional cost of Diesel engine. :yes: the CR170 in my Superb has been faultless with LOADS of power. (11,000 miles now..)

Al.

An interesting site. I've just done a comparison between my 1.2 TSi SE DSG and the only diesel DSG SE spec option (which is 4 x 4). The deisel is more expensive to buy and more expensive to run so there is no break even point. The DSG gearbox was the first thing I specified before I'd even chosen which manufacturer's car I was going to buy let alone which model I wanted!

I can appreciate the lure of the torque of a diesel but the way a petrol engine revs out is quite adictive too. The 1.2's turbo does an amazing job of filling out the bottom end of the torque curve to almost diesel proportions but without any of the uncivilised noises and vibrations that diesels so often have. I really like mine and everyone who has travelled in Hettie has comented on how smooth and quiet she is.

Yetiflute, re your comments about DSG effect on economy:

The more powerful VW group diesels use wet clutch dsg which can handle the higher torque, but are a bit less fuel efficient. Until recently this has been a 6 speed, though a 7 speed has recently been introduced in some VWs eg Tiguan. Your Octavia has a 7 speed dry clutch which has slightly better economy than a manual

Edited by helix