Progress Thread - My vRS so far

mike07vrs

Cool cheers, the only place i can really see one fitting is around tht area like you say, i never thought of using the bonnet catch - good shout! I'll have a look next time the bonnets up!

Cool cheers, the only place i can really see one fitting is around tht area like you say, i never thought of using the bonnet catch - good shout! I'll have a look next time the bonnets up!

Test fitting went well yesterday, ended up just welding the bracket to the can just to ensure it was secure, means if I need to drain it its only 2 bolts to remove so not so bad, we used the existing holes used for the bonnet catch and fits perfectly so I'd definately recommend fitting it there, hopefully have some photos of it installed tonight

Small update, fitted the oil catch can last week;

2011-06-01193510.jpg

2011-06-01193518.jpg

Unfortunately under braking the engine moved further forward than I anticipated and connected with the can in several places causing some very nasty noises but thankfully no damage so its been removed and is currently under going some minor adjustments.

Can after first attempt;

2011-06-01234423.jpg

2011-06-01234411.jpg

2011-06-01234404.jpg

Decided to moved it closer to the air intake and mount it there, the bracket has been sorted however the can is currently waiting to have some welding done. I've removed the drain plug and im hoping to shorten the outlet so it has enough room to fit under the engine cover, all going to plan it should fit.

This another little feature i've been working on;

2011-06-01184807.jpg

2011-06-01184819.jpg

Its a cover plate for the fuel filter, it has spring clips attached so it pops on, theres also some double sided tape just to be sure lol

Before

2011-06-03135437.jpg

After

2011-06-03135930.jpg

2011-06-03135940.jpg

I've got a black sticker coming to split up the colour on it, also added a Ken Block sticker since I liked it :)

2011-06-03135950.jpg

I got a confirmation email yesterday saying my boost pipes had been dispatched so that is a job for this week, i'll also be fitting the black coolant tank if its ready;

2011-06-01184840.jpg

Got my VW Shark Fin ariel orded so should be here mid week, i'll also be removing the old ariel, roof rails and grille surround before the car goes for respray next week.

Also when I get paid i'll be buying the last few things before Ingilston in July;

Machine Polisher - Thanks to ScottHmk4 for the advice :thumbup:

Whiteline RARB - I was bidding on a Jabbasport one but it went for £170 and it was 2nd hand so going for this instead.

Wing Mirror Glass (Left)

Wing Mirror Glass (Right)

Having a Rear Strut Brace made

Mufflerectomy

Bonnet Lifter Kit

your welcome bud, engine bay is coming along nicely, im hopefully ordering coilovers next month and i would like to get the porsche twists on but i honestly think that wont be till aug/sept time due to funds. also need serviced and i want new brakes as the ones the previous owner put on seem cheap and make alot of squeaks and squeals. dont think i will dp the 312mm brake upgrade, i dont particularly want to put alot into the car, just want it slammed on those nice rims. maybe tints, but tbh insurance companys dont seem to like tints at all.

your welcome bud, engine bay is coming along nicely, im hopefully ordering coilovers next month and i would like to get the porsche twists on but i honestly think that wont be till aug/sept time due to funds. also need serviced and i want new brakes as the ones the previous owner put on seem cheap and make alot of squeaks and squeals. dont think i will dp the 312mm brake upgrade, i dont particularly want to put alot into the car, just want it slammed on those nice rims. maybe tints, but tbh insurance companys dont seem to like tints at all.

Cheers Scott, what ones you planning on going for? Read your thread about tyre choice the other day, right decision waiting to put decent rubber on, no point skimping on tyres then going off on a corner and losing the car. I need to replace my rear discs and pads soon, just going for oem since its running standard power, i'll be doing the 312mm upgrade along with a remap when the time comes. I wouldn't go for really dark tints personally, dont want it looking like a black van :rofl: You planning on declaring the coilovers, wheel change etc?

Cheers Scott, what ones you planning on going for? Read your thread about tyre choice the other day, right decision waiting to put decent rubber on, no point skimping on tyres then going off on a corner and losing the car. I need to replace my rear discs and pads soon, just going for oem since its running standard power, i'll be doing the 312mm upgrade along with a remap when the time comes. I wouldn't go for really dark tints personally, dont want it looking like a black van :rofl: You planning on declaring the coilovers, wheel change etc?

going to get JOM coilovers i think, cost about £190-£200. not spending £400-£500+ on coilies, yeah i will get decent tyres. nah might not get tints at all, insurance goes up a fair bit with them, and yeh will declare coilies and wheels.

going to get JOM coilovers i think, cost about £190-£200. not spending £400-£500+ on coilies, yeah i will get decent tyres. nah might not get tints at all, insurance goes up a fair bit with them, and yeh will declare coilies and wheels.

Nice one my mate has JOM coilovers on his golf and rates them very highly, will look good lowered with the twists

Got a few things today;

VW Shark Fin Ariel

2011-06-07125213.jpg

Samco Boost Pipes :D

2011-06-07163709.jpg

Got started as soon as I was home with doing the boost pipes, with hindsight I could probably have got away with not removing the bumper, but its an easy job either way, removing the headlight does make things easier and is probably necessary to be honest.

2011-06-07175750.jpg

Pipes before trimmig

2011-06-07164038.jpg

Includes 2 Forge couplings and a vRS Dovit Boost Pipe.

Little bit of trimming with the hacksaw and ...

2011-06-07175757.jpg

2011-06-07183805.jpg

2011-06-07183747.jpg

2011-06-07183756.jpg

I'm undecided wether to keep the engine cover on or not, I like it but the boost pipes are a key feature and are more or less hidden with the cover on :(

2011-06-07183832.jpg

2011-06-07183840.jpg

As for the ariel i'll have a go at fitting it tomorrow though it wont be on for long as its being removed for mondays respray :)

Should also mention the car got an extreme thrashing tonight as an excuse to check the pipes were attached properly, the astra vxr I had some fun with will testify this :rofl: It also feels like the car is more responsive, I think its probably just a placebo effect but maybe I was loosing more boost than I realised, food for thought I guess

Looking good Mike

Don't suppose you could pm me the part no, places and prices of your boost pipe conversion

Cheers

Karl :thumbup:

Cheers Karl you have pm :thumbup:

When i've got a spare 20mins i'll make up a quick thread with the relevant information to replace the upper boost pipes incase anybody else requires information

Mike, have you checked your lower boost pipes? the ones coming from the turbo? are you thinking about replacing them if so what with?

Before I fitted the sfs intercooler 90' pipe I had a play with the OE pipes and there was alot of play with the one coming out of the turbo but since fitting the sfs pipe it doesnt move, thats not to say that it isnt leaking air though..

I will be interested in your parts purchased for the upper boost pipes too.

Great work on your engine bay :)

When i've got a spare 20mins i'll make up a quick thread with the relevant information to replace the upper boost pipes incase anybody else requires information

That would be really helpful Mike :thumbup:

Great work on the car so far - impressive thread B)

Mike, have you checked your lower boost pipes? the ones coming from the turbo? are you thinking about replacing them if so what with?

Before I fitted the sfs intercooler 90' pipe I had a play with the OE pipes and there was alot of play with the one coming out of the turbo but since fitting the sfs pipe it doesnt move, thats not to say that it isnt leaking air though..

I will be interested in your parts purchased for the upper boost pipes too.

Great work on your engine bay :)

Hi mate, yeah I checked it when I replaced the lower 90 degree bend, I think because its not very accessible it hasn't been removed often so hopefully there will be less wear on the connection leading to it popping off. I'd agree since fitting the SFS pipe it has made the pipes from the turbo pretty solid so that will hopefully keep the turbo pipe in check, I may in the future replace it just out of good measure but for now i'm happy to leave it be, mainly because it looks like a real pain to get into :D I'll write up a thread when I get home with a list and a quick how to :thumbup:

That would be really helpful Mike :thumbup:

Great work on the car so far - impressive thread B)

Cheers Gareth much appreciated

Had a test fitting of the VW Shark Fin Ariel yesterday as I was removing the old ariel ready for the roof respray today;

2011-06-12143946.jpg

Once you take the outer casing off the shark fin cable it fits perfectly, will heatshrink once its properly installed;

2011-06-12143956.jpg

Incase anybody wanted to know what a vRS looks like without an ariel;

2011-06-12151810.jpg

2011-06-12151803.jpg

Since I removed the ariel thought I should probably plug the hole :D

2011-06-12144014.jpg

2011-06-12144115.jpg

The roof rail strips and grille surround have been removed and are being resprayed a darker grey than before, hopefully it will be a closer match to the colour of the alloys.

I also took some photo's of the bumper, bonnet and spoiler before dropping the car off, this way I can do a before and after and see how good thier work is.

Bonnet

2011-06-12171941.jpg

2011-06-12171949.jpg

2011-06-12171955.jpg

Spoiler

2011-06-12172020.jpg

2011-06-12172012.jpg

2011-06-12172004.jpg

Overspray on rear bumper

2011-06-12172033.jpg

2011-06-12172027.jpg

Not sure how clearly the pictures show the affected areas but cant hurt to take some photos.

Also done roughly 200 miles with the new upper boost pipe's and haven't come across any problems thus far, hopefully it'll stay this way!

Hopefully pick the car up tonight all things going to plan, I've got all the various parts sprayed and ready to go back on the car.

2011-06-14215603.jpg

2011-06-14220048.jpg

2011-06-14220059.jpg

Can't complain about the finish as its a rattle can job, few marks from previous stone chips but its an easy bit too take off and respray again in a few months time if need be. Also sprayed the roof rail strips the same colour.

I have a new coolant connection coming from Skoda as i'm currently running a botched one as the last one snapped when changing coolant hoses, so whilst im replacing the connection i'll swap over coolant tanks and replace the hose clips with new ones as the originals were a bit worse for wear and spoilt the nice green hoses, also got a new boost pipe clip for the EGR connection as the original has stretched slightly.

why dont you just go to stathclyde auto supplies in kilmarnock and get them to make you up a can of black magic paint for about £11 they jusy need your paint code ;)good looking job on the gray but imo if your trying to get it as close to the black i would personally just but a paint match tin :thumbup:

why dont you just go to stathclyde auto supplies in kilmarnock and get them to make you up a can of black magic paint for about £11 they jusy need your paint code ;)good looking job on the gray but imo if your trying to get it as close to the black i would personally just but a paint match tin :thumbup:

I use A&L for any paint products I need, well known in there and always spot on. I'm not trying to make the grille surround black im trying too match it to the colour of the alloys but since they have been powdercoated there isn't a code that can be applied. Its just a process of trial and error but I think i've got it close to perfect this time, the previous grey was just a little too light. I might go for a black surround in the future but for now its something a little different so going to stick with it.

Ordered a Whiteline RARB this morning and the VW wing mirror glass. Also pm'd Jason about a bonnet lifter kit just waiting to hear back from him. Got a phone call from the bodyshop this morning saying the car will be ready for collection at 5:30, however its now looking like I wont be finished work till 6 :doh:

i just installed VW blue tinted mirrors 5 mins ago, arrived this morning, wiring needs modifying to reach the connectors on the VW mirrors, but looks good when done, just hope the heating elements work now after i cut and extended the wired :rofl:

apologies i forgot you were looking to match the alloys, good work, those RARB are suppose to make handing much much better, will be a mod for me in the future probz