Audi coilpack recall, turned into official Skoda Recall.

• 2 weeks later...

might as well get it done - should only take a competent mechanic around 15 mins at most

4 screws to remove engine cover, 3 nuts to remove vac reservoir, disconnect each coil then pull up to remove. Same steps to refit.

might as well get it done - should only take a competent mechanic around 15 mins at most

4 screws to remove engine cover, 3 nuts to remove vac reservoir, disconnect each coil then pull up to remove. Same steps to refit.

Ok thanks, will give my "local" dealer a ring. 15 miles away the closest. :(

Had mine replaced wednesday at winner garage in cinderford and now she pulls like a train.

She had been suffering from surging and poor mpg for as long as i can remember, I had done the usual checks (pipes and valves ect)

but nothing worked so thought i would have to live with it but when she went for MOT they told me about the recall and did it the next day

I really enjoy driving her again now

I'm awaiting the Skoda dealer here on the island to have my car in to check what one I have fitted,

A friend had his done very reluctantly by them.

I can give them the part numbers of each coil pack but I expect they will fob me off

I'm hoping the coil packs are the problem with 53reg vrs estate (AUQ):

- engine management light on - ok for a while then loses all power when into 2nd and slows to a stop! engine still running but going nowhere!

I came upon this excellent thread and so checked my coil pack serials. You can see the are all VW VAG 06A 905 115 but there is no letter following the 115?

I wonder will they qualify for the "recall" - I rang my local dealer in NI and the services guy didn't seem to know much; I left my chassis no and reg - waiting to hear back.

My other thought from checking the forums is a dodgy MAF or faulty temp sensor?

Any help/advice gratefully accepted from a newbie, thanks. Superb forum btw - better than any Haynes manual!

Unfortunately this is not the end as my windscreen side trim "blew off" when my wife was driving (I've posted here); she also managed to hit (twice) a parking kerb and skobed the front. Not the end of the world I know but I'd prefer not to have to deal with these things. PS: I'm also getting the rusty boot issue around the ends of the lock strip cover.

And on ...

My other thought from checking the forums is a dodgy MAF or faulty temp sensor?

You can do the following checks

Run the engine and then unplug and re-plug each of the coilpacks one by one. As you unplug each one the engine note should change, if it doesn't change then that coilpack is knackered.

For the MAF, unplug it and if the engine runs better without it plugged in then it's broken (without the MAF plugged in the engine runs on default MAF values)

For the temp sensor you will sometimes notice the gauge messing about or the fuel economy suffering but not always.

If you have someone local with VAG-Com get it scanned then you should be able to tell for sure from any fault code that comes up

• 2 weeks later...

You can do the following checks

Run the engine and then unplug and re-plug each of the coilpacks one by one. As you unplug each one the engine note should change, if it doesn't change then that coilpack is knackered.

For the MAF, unplug it and if the engine runs better without it plugged in then it's broken (without the MAF plugged in the engine runs on default MAF values)

For the temp sensor you will sometimes notice the gauge messing about or the fuel economy suffering but not always.

If you have someone local with VAG-Com get it scanned then you should be able to tell for sure from any fault code that comes up

OK, thanks - I've done some testing since you replied.

1. I unplugged CP 1, then started it up and it sounded different. Tried the same to CP2 and the same thing.

Was just about to try the other 2 when a fella from work landed with a fault reader. He hooked it up and it came out with 4 errors: 2 on the coil packs, 1 on the lambda sensor. I then realised I should have waited until he'd scanned it because it seems likely that the these errors were the result of me unplugging the CPs?

He cleared the errors and suggested I start with replacing the spark plugs (NGK PFR6Q) and wait to see if the management light comes on again. I haven't had time to change them yet, but when I switched on the ignition last night there was a red fllashing temp symbol (see dashboard_warning_temp_symb.jpg ) but no beeping.

I wonder if the car stall is/was caused by possibility 3 (temp sensor) above. I haven't noticed the temp gauge or fuel consumption behaving erratically. Also this has never flashed before - not even in th last 2 desperate winters!

Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong thread (although the local dealer seems to nothing about the coilpack return btw).

OK, thanks - I've done some testing since you replied.

1. I unplugged CP 1, then started it up and it sounded different. Tried the same to CP2 and the same thing.

Was just about to try the other 2 when a fella from work landed with a fault reader. He hooked it up and it came out with 4 errors: 2 on the coil packs, 1 on the lambda sensor. I then realised I should have waited until he'd scanned it because it seems likely that the these errors were the result of me unplugging the CPs?

He cleared the errors and suggested I start with replacing the spark plugs (NGK PFR6Q) and wait to see if the management light comes on again. I haven't had time to change them yet, but when I switched on the ignition last night there was a red fllashing temp symbol (see dashboard_warning_temp_symb.jpg ) but no beeping.

I wonder if the car stall is/was caused by possibility 3 (temp sensor) above. I haven't noticed the temp gauge or fuel consumption behaving erratically. Also this has never flashed before - not even in th last 2 desperate winters!

Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong thread (although the local dealer seems to nothing about the coilpack return btw).

mine did this was a breather hose problem well worth looking at them to see for splits

Hi sorry for butting into this thread but i hope someone might be able to shed some advice. Hubby has a Octavia Vrs 2004. Engine management light came on, car went judderey and lost power, he pulled over and AA came out and diagnosed a failed coil. The coil was replaced at the time but because he had drove so far it blew the CAT, the CAT has been replaced and on the advice of the AA we replaced all the spark plugs, car has also had full sericve and management system reset. The car has run lovely sinice then until TODAY, when again the car went juddery lost power and engine warning light came on, he switched it off and re-started and no light but still juddery. Would the first coil failure result in the other coils being weakened (female theory!!) Any advice or help would be greatly received before i call santa and cancel xmas!!!!

If you can fault code scan it again, see if it has come up with a Coolant Temp Sensor fault code (it should be a 16502 code), they can throw the code without putting the engine management light on (mine did). Although from what I can remember if you get that little red light come on that's to do with the little metal probes in the header tank getting covered in scale and giving incorrect readings, not the coolant temp sensor (which is in the coolant pipework):

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/182173-coolant-warning/page__p__2186805__hl__coolant+header__fromsearch__1#entry2186805

Hi sorry for butting into this thread but i hope someone might be able to shed some advice. Hubby has a Octavia Vrs 2004. Engine management light came on, car went judderey and lost power, he pulled over and AA came out and diagnosed a failed coil. The coil was replaced at the time but because he had drove so far it blew the CAT, the CAT has been replaced and on the advice of the AA we replaced all the spark plugs, car has also had full sericve and management system reset. The car has run lovely sinice then until TODAY, when again the car went juddery lost power and engine warning light came on, he switched it off and re-started and no light but still juddery. Would the first coil failure result in the other coils being weakened (female theory!!) Any advice or help would be greatly received before i call santa and cancel xmas!!!!

Worth checking if all the coil packs are seated correctly after the spark plug change, were all the new spark plugs gapped correctly too? An incorrect gap can cause a misfire and eventually dislodge and/or knacker the coilpack. Some places (like Awesome) sell coil-pack hold down brackets to keep them held on the plugs properly:

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=13235&xSec=294

I'd be suprised if more than one coil pack went but if they were all the old type then maybe yes.

from what i can gather they were all replaced correctly, but i'm no mechanic - i just point it and go!! The AA came out and it turns out that coil 4 had gone, now replaced! The coils were the ones that were fitted when we bought it back in 2005 so maybe they are part of that old batch, will have to wait until hubby gets home with the old ones today and maybe then i will be speaking to our local skoda dealer. Think it might be worth while replacing the others now to avoid any more call outs :(

• 4 weeks later...

What Mark said.

I've been down today and L versions are affected by the recall. The only ones which are still classed are servicable as version R and D.

A, F, G, H, J, L and N all need replacing :thumbup:

As far as mods are concerned, the Skoda service guys were all impressed by mine, and all came to have a look. They very rarely get MK1 vRS's in, and they don't usually have loads of shiny bits and silicone under the bonnet. B)

Mines booked in a week on tuesday. It says on the invoice I'm getting version R, but I presume all the new ones will be sent out as the latest D revision regardless of what has been ordered.

p.s. This recall (Technical service bulletin) does not apply to bolt down coil packs.

Hmmm how do I tell what version mine is to see if I can have them replaced. Is the letter type stamped on the packs and if so were abouts

Thanks

Edited by Bigphil33