Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

Hopefully it's something you can get sorted. I initially thought it was the car overboosting, then the ecu opening wastegate, then overboosting and so on over and over

It's not a direct boost control issue, it's a function that affects boost as part of it's output. That's what makes it so hard to find.

Well that's the $64,000 dollar question.

Simply put some cars do it and some don't. The problem is present on standard software as well as modified software although it is not as pronounced.

We're pretty sure it's a function that controls boost that relates to intake air temps. However modifying that function has helped some cars and not others.

I hope people can understand that there's no magic wand to wave here. This issue is not caused by our software, it's caused by the standard software, and only seems to be a problem on certain cars. I'm sure we can work around it in mapping. The big problem is that it's easy to point the finger in our direction because we've messed with your car, but as you can see from earlier posts about this in this thread, it is a car issue and not our software and so while we're working to fix this I would really appreciate it if the witchhunt could stop for a little while. That way I can spend more time problem solving and less time on Briskoda and email trying to keep up with it all.

We do care, it's 00:05 on a Friday night. How many other tuning companies are offering user support at this time of night ;)

Hi Ben, I appreciate you addressing the questions posed here and I would much rather you spend time on curing the map then sending emails etc. I do not think this should be looked at as a witch hunt by any means but as a good source of information gathering. It does seem quite obvious now that this problem is more common than it was first thought.The question is how long do you think a reasonable time is to put up with the problem? I had the map first done in January and after two further visits its not really any better and to be honest I am not prepared to live with the car for another 4 months in its current state of tune. I am also concerned that continuing to run that car as it is may cause some damage? Two of the other lads with the same problem have mentioned they had trial maps from other companies that worked but they decided on a shark map and then had surging problems? I have no knowledge with remaps and this is the first car i have ever had done so i am at panic stations which is why I feel it is probably better just to put it back to standard if a cure is not found soon?

You have answered some of my post there mate, must be typing at the same time...........

Rather than contact every individual person its probably easier to use this thread for now :thumbup:

Thread title and introduction updated...... This topic is for one purpose only. To solve the problem. Lets work together to get it sorted in the spirit of the club one way or another :thumbup:

There's absolutely no safety issue at all, and no extra or undue stress is being caused on any components, so no need to worry.

That's puts me at peace on this one. Thanks for confirmation Ben. I feel that this was an important customer issue to clarify for the not so knowledgeable.

As mentioned before i like the map and appreciate you are busy trying to fix this, however if and when an improved version is available which stops the surging then i'd like to get the update. :thumbup:

In the meantime i remain a happy customer. I also hope this thread may help a few chaps who have been mapped via STS in recent months who may have had similar issues but assumed it was 'normal' and therefore not raised any queries to date.

Thread title and introduction updated...... This topic is for one purpose only. To solve the problem. Lets work together to get it sorted in the spirit of the club one way or another :thumbup:

Nice one :thumbup:

Strange how some are having this problem and some arent.

For those "assuming" it must be bens map, it cant be as i had mine mapped the last months and its been problem free and is smooth.

Hope this is solved quickly and trouble free for you guys soon!

Strange how some are having this problem and some arent.

For those "assuming" it must be bens map, it cant be as i had mine mapped the last months and its been problem free and is smooth.

Hope this is solved quickly and trouble free for you guys soon!

I think Ben's already addressed this saying it appears to be certain MK1 vRS with a particular standard software. If you look through the entire thread I believe there are five of us running a stage one shark map who now have the same surging issue. :thumbup:

clearly you dont have a clue what your talking about as it is clearly a mapping issue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't as straight cut as that, have you read the thread?

The problem seems to be isolated to two software versions and only certain cars with those software numbers do it.

The problem is there on a standard car as we've shown in a dyno plot earlier in the thread.

Mapping the car makes it worse but it isn't something we've caused.

From scouring the internerd for some time on this issue, it isn't just confined to the Shark map.

I've found reports of the exact same issue in the US, with people running APR maps. But the difference was that APR refused to acknowledge it and offered no customer support. Shark appear to be the polar opposite in that respect, so we can count ourselves lucky.

Yeah, I've just been looking too. APR seem to be quite a common one.

Ben, if it's the AIT axis or readings, could I try running the car wih the sensor disconnected? Would that make any difference? I know the ECU will have a set of fallback values embedded, but would the issue appear with those too? (if you know what I mean :D )

AI bit like running with the MAF disconnected, if you will.

I can confirm this issue on 1.8Ts mapped by various tuners from EU. Weird enough the only solution was another map from another tuner and not necessarily one that never had problems with their map on another car :rofl:

I myself have had this problem since forever at part throttle, around 0.5 bar boost. Under 0.5 it's smooth, wot is smooth (1.4-1.6bar), around 0.5 i get the on/off effect. Haven't gotten around to changing the map and to be honest i don't mind it that much. On the flipside, I either drive it normally (<0.5bar) or wot so works for me :rofl:

Edited by jmf

really ??? speaking to nick at r-tech he doesnt have any issues ????

Its not very often a tuner will admit to any problems encountered and if a customer is really unhappy with the map will remove it.

it is well known through out the remapping community that there is issues with the 1.8t ecu and some will have already delt with the issue probably like nick at r-tech or he's been very lucky.

It could also be that not all tuners alter the same maps and/or by the same amount.

It is not known the reason for bosch's many software revisions may be a change for a cheaper or alternative sensor/s with the need for table adjustments.

I understand and agree with your comments westallc but think it is unfair to bring r-tech as an example with the statement he doesnt have any issues - does this mean he has no issues now and never has had or he is not aware of any problems as with any me7.5 ecu.

I do not have a shark remap and have no link to them but can see that they are activly and openly seeking a resolve on this problem what more can they do at the moment?

Bazaa

Just a thought has anyone had this issue from one tuner / map and then used another tuner / map that has been able to cure it? Surely this problem must have been solved some where along the line if its so well documented?

See my post above. I personally know people who have cured it by changing the map. BUT, at the same time, other cars mapped by the same (other) tuner had the same problem. So it's a hit and miss i guess :(

Edited by jmf

I don't suppose Skoda would acknowledge that some of their ecu (Bosch?)software versions have an issue, in which case if you have this software and want a map, then your only option appears to be to get a map from a tuner who knows about the issue and already has a map which isn't affected.

I assume that the software versions affected relate to a particular model year(s)?, which might help narrow down the issue for those people considering a map but are now a bit concerned.

I'm glad Shark are trying to sort this, and it's a pity the tuning industry isn't able to work together to eliminate such issues, but i guess it is what they would consider to be their competive advantage and payback for the extent of research and testing they carry out before hand.

imo its very fair to use nick as an example

he to my knowledge has never had an issue on any customer car and the reason for this is his maps have been tried and tested on his cars with hundreds of hours of fiddling and research!!! any problems incounted he will find away to re write the code or alter the table. This is all done before its even see's a customers car!

so yes he has seen the issues with me7.5 ecu but he has used his knowledge to adapt and overcome.

p.s also the same applies for richard washbrook maps not seen issues on customer cars

this is all imo though wich doesnt mean much!!!

I have a map on my car from Nick at R-tech it is really good with no issues...But I will say Clive I don't think it is right to be blowing his trumpet against Shark...Eack mapper does things there own way and a public forum is not the place to have a go.....Shark is and has spent a lot of time on this trying to fix,Sometimes I think people just like to say things for the sake of it.Clive your car has nothing to to with this so y post crap..????? I have to say you seem to always be involved for some reason...

Edited by mountie66

How convienent Clive (westallic) starts posting crap he has nothing to do with then removes his posts cause I said something????? Well My opinion is that poeple with the problem should be posting not people who wish to drag other tuners in and say there better....Not called for at all. thanks and sorry to post this but crap like this is not needed....

really ??? speaking to nick at r-tech he doesnt have any issues ????

That's funny, because he emailed me about this specific problem and told me that he had.

he to my knowledge has never had an issue on any customer car and the reason for this is his maps have been tried and tested on his cars with hundreds of hours of fiddling and research!!! any problems incounted he will find away to re write the code or alter the table. This is all done before its even see's a customers car!

so yes he has seen the issues with me7.5 ecu but he has used his knowledge to adapt and overcome.

Clive, seriously, are you some kind of propaganda agent for r-tech? I have only met Nick a couple of times and spoke to him by email too, as has Mikko, and neither of us think he's the kind of pig-headed arrogant elitist type who would actually say what you've said! Either you are completely deluded by thinking that and you've made it up of your own accord, or you've been told it and you've been recycling that information. I don't know which it is for sure, but I really don't think Nick is the kind of person to come out with such a load of rubbish!

this is all imo though wich doesnt mean much!!!

Quite.

Now given that you're not helping or contributing to this thread whatsoever, may I respectfully ask that you leave it to the guys who have issues so we can get it resolved. Thankyou.