Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

Are there any of the orginal members that had issues with there shark maps still having issues with the map or do they have a nice working map?

I am still having problems i still think i have a slight flat spot in 3rd 4th and 5th gear.

Paul, I still have a slight power loss compared to the pre-tweak map, and have noticed the surging is still there after all. I'm not sure what's causing it but it still does it at WOT but not as bad as before, and at certain times on part throttle too.

Is yours hesitating? Mine seems to pull pretty consistently with no hesitation as such on WOT (apart from the minor surging), but just doesn't seem to have as much torque as it did before.

Hello there guys,

I don't have time to read through all of the 18 pages but I think I have the exact same problem with my 2002 1.8T VRS.

I bought a remap from ebay and put in my ecu.

1 and 2 gear are almost ok but 3,4 and 5th gear have real problem when I accelerate from 1000rpm to around 5000rpm. That is when the boost gauge shows a pressure of 1.0 bar and the car does not accelerate normally.

However I don't want to go back to stock because I want more power in my vrs :).

Any solutions? Is the N294 thing the only fix?

Please inform,

Thanks in advance,

Tomas,

ICELAND.

Then read the 18 pages and get better informed....... :giggle:

Think you mean N249.

There are so many variables to surging and this thread is kind of specific to the Shark Map that has been identified by diagnosis as a certain ECU related issue combined with the map.

You don't mention what map or mapper. I have experience in buying EBay postal maps and won't go that route again as you don't know what map you have or the guarantee of it performing correctly to your tune.

Then read the 18 pages and get better informed....... :giggle:

Think you mean N249.

There are so many variables to surging and this thread is kind of specific to the Shark Map that has been identified by diagnosis as a certain ECU related issue combined with the map.

You don't mention what map or mapper. I have experience in buying EBay postal maps and won't go that route again as you don't know what map you have or the guarantee of it performing correctly to your tune.

hehe okay :)

Yeah that or N75 i think it is called. I bought a map from Mgear555 or this one: Chip .

They told me that if the car started on the chip then the installation was okay and there must be a technical problem with the car which causes the turbo surge.

Love how they reckon chip tuning is better than mapping becuase it is removable. :D

It may be that your car is going into limp mode for whatever reason.

Love how they reckon chip tuning is better than mapping becuase it is removable. :D

It may be that your car is going into limp mode for whatever reason.

haha indeed. Takes only an hour to change chips if you are good at this.

Okay that could be the reason, anyway a better explanation:

During the test drive all of my spark plug wires got destroyed. I bought 4 new spark plug wires and also 4 new IK20 Spark plugs and now the engine runs okay when idle.

However, the problem is that when I accelerate from 1000-5000 RPM it is like one cylender is cut off when the turbopressure gets close to 1 bar and the turbometer fluctuates from 0.7 to 1 bar during quick acceleration. Now the car accelerates like this _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ instead of just smooth ______________.

Anything over 5000RPM is okay because then the pressure is somewhat lower than 1 bar.

However, I will have a mechanic look at the car next week and post the results. We will first see if there is a leak somewhere in the turbosystem pipes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben

PM'd you on Friday about my continuing Surge problem with my Octavis Mk1 VRs but as I see you have been on the site over the weekend and haven't responded to me I guess you may have missed my message.

Could you check your PM's and if you haven't seen it could you reply and I will send the message again

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin

I am very behind on PMs as always (just checked and see that you sent it at 21:21 on Friday which explains why I haven't looked at it), I will check and get back to you as soon as possible, although I am out of the office most of tomorrow.

Thanks

Ben

Hi to any Admins

I posted earlier today on this thread and I believe that Ben at Shark performance replied to me but I can not find either of the posts. Is there a problem ?

Regards

• Administrators

I've spoken with Ben, he's quite busy at the moment, new premises and so on. So his time on here is limited and as with me, one gets done what one can do, but he will resolve issues.

I'd call him, his telephone number is 01623 332233.

As to the posts, yes they were removed.

Hello

Can you tell me why were they removed ? did they break any of the sites guidelines and if so which ones explicitly ? Was anything posted inaccurate or contested ? I understand from my son who read the initial response from Ben that he did not contest anything I wrote in my post. Are they specific guidelines pertaining to site sponsors that are different to other posters. ?

Regards

Hi ColinD

Update 1 week later. I took your/Bens advice and tried the phone option to try and progress this problem. I waited until after the weekend so as not to disturb the move and rang on Tuesday lunchtime. I spoke to a woman, Cheryl ?, and left my landline and mobile phone numbers, both of which have active answering machines. I was told Ben was out but she would tell Ben I had rung and would like a call from him.

It's now Friday afternoon and I have heard nothing more. Having tried PMs, emails and Forum Posts, as detailed in my earlier post, which was deleted for some as yet unknown reason I am not sure what more I can do. I reported the problems with this map 4 weeks ago and it was acknowledged on the 24th July.

I am now going abroad for a week so, as you appear to have the ear of Ben, I would be grateful if you could tell him not to try and contact me next week as I won't be available.

Regards

I've spoken with Ben, he's quite busy at the moment, new premises and so on. So his time on here is limited and as with me, one gets done what one can do, but he will resolve issues.

I'd call him, his telephone number is 01623 332233.

As to the posts, yes they were removed.

I can sympathize with you. Ben always seems really busy which reflects his work ethic and popularity, so customer service seems to suffer at times from my experience. I would suggest keep chasing and eventually you will catch him. I imagine your post was removed because the mod may have felt that it is better you address specific issues with a supplier directly with them rather than through the forum, although i guess you used the forum because you were hoping for a swifter response that yuo are getting by going direct.

Good luck.

I'm here, and Cheryl has no doubt took a message but I probably haven't worked my way down the list to you yet. We are sort of limited to a single telephone line at the moment, along with building work, power cuts and the usual pressures of moving premises (think moving house and multiply by 15) I don't have a lot of time in the office at the moment.

We now have a computer network (sort of) instead of running from a single 3G connection on my laptop and slowly things are getting back on line. Yes I am a very busy person as Shroud has said and sometimes that means things don't happen as quickly as they should, I can only apologise about that but I can attribute it to a growing pain of an expanding small business - everyone wants to talk to me rather than any of the other staff and I'm not always available because I have 101 things to deal with.

Going back on topic, as the vast majority of the cars we have done are fine and only very few have displayed this "surge" issue we have been offering support to those affected. rk696 is bringing his car back to us as he believes his car may be surging again after previously giving it the OK. That is the car I spoke about previously and as we haven't had it in yet I can't give a further update or insight. We have worked hard on this issue and continue to do so when the opportunity arises.

I will attempt to contact hazydaze in a week's time as suggested.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just to finish this thread for anybody interested in Shark Performances after sales service, or whether they can supply a Stage 1 map for all models of 1.8 vRS Octavia's

I did not receive a call in the week following this post and I made another phone call requesting a call back, I did not get one and after another 10 days I decided that, after 3 months of no response, other than third party claims that this case would be resolved, I did not believe I was going to receive a working map. I then called and requested, by post, a refund. This was immediately agreed.........

Hi

Just to finish this thread

I'm here, and Cheryl has no doubt took a message but I probably haven't worked my way down the list to you yet. We are sort of limited to a single telephone line at the moment, along with building work, power cuts and the usual pressures of moving premises (think moving house and multiply by 15) I don't have a lot of time in the office at the moment.

We now have a computer network (sort of) instead of running from a single 3G connection on my laptop and slowly things are getting back on line. Yes I am a very busy person as Shroud has said and sometimes that means things don't happen as quickly as they should, I can only apologise about that but I can attribute it to a growing pain of an expanding small business - everyone wants to talk to me rather than any of the other staff and I'm not always available because I have 101 things to deal with.

Going back on topic, as the vast majority of the cars we have done are fine and only very few have displayed this "surge" issue we have been offering support to those affected. rk696 is bringing his car back to us as he believes his car may be surging again after previously giving it the OK. That is the car I spoke about previously and as we haven't had it in yet I can't give a further update or insight. We have worked hard on this issue and continue to do so when the opportunity arises.

I will attempt to contact hazydaze in a week's time as suggested.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I too had my octavia vrs mk1 remapped by Shark Performance back with the BRISKODA group buy months ago. Here are my findings from start to finish. Hope it helps some of you out.....

My car 'seemed' to be running fine before my visit to Shark Performance for the remap although my experience with turbo charged cars was non existent before my octavia which at this time i had only owned for a matter of weeks.

At Shark, Ben informed me that there was remnents of a old previously installed map on the car and to procede this would need to be removed and would not be able to be put back on.....only the ability to be put back to factory standard....I fully understood this.

Ben spent more than half a day on the car trying upto four different map variants but as explained to me the car did not run right and was surging/boosting.

I agreed to have the 'factory standard' map put on the car(not my original as that had a previous map on it) and drove home not too happy.

While driving home the some 200 plus miles i listened for the surging/boosting which had been explained and i could, even in factory standard map, could just feel it. Never noticed before but then i didnt know.

To try to resolve the issue before i went back to Shark i did the following....

1. Swapped out the N75 valve.

2. Cleaned the MAF.

3. Serviced my Forge DV.

4. By passed the N294 valve.

5. Sent car for coil pack recall which i had only one replaced.

6. Had my turbo charger checked for the correct actuator rod length(bench tested).

7. Put a boost gauge on to eliminate the turbo side of things which proved the car was NOT having boost issues.....the car was surging which showed electrical/fueling problems eliminating the turbo.

8. Changed out the rest of the coil packs for the lastest edition.

All the above changes did not cure the surging issue but on each time i tried the above the surging would go away for a spell and return.

Finally i changed out the wiring loom to the coil packs. The loom appeared brittle in parts. Fitting the new loom made a total improvement to my car. What i can say is that everytime i was under the bonnet unknowingly moving the coil pack wiring loom was making and breaking a connection within the brittle sheath of the cable causing electrical issues to the coil packs.

I finally went back to Shark and had their map put back on the car.....Fantastic results. This solved my boosting(boosting not in my case that is a wrong)/surging issues. Worth a look if you still having issues. Might not be everyones problem though.

Regards

Mapped

The loom was got at trade for me by a mechanic friend....i bought him a beer so not really sure of the shop price but think it somewere between £30 and £40.

Check out your coil packs first.....any residue inside could indicate a failure and make sure there seated. whilst the engine is ticking over listen closley to the engine near the coil packs.....a fast ticking noise may also be heard if one of the coil packs is failing.....The loom was my last resort and this cured the issue for me but thats not to say its everyones problem. It really is a matter of elimination. Good Luck.

I was all game for getting a remap next week until reading this thread. Its gone and put it right off now. No offence Ben, but is it just issues people are having with shark maps?

I was all game for getting a remap next week until reading this thread. Its gone and put it right off now. No offence Ben, but is it just issues people are having with shark maps?

The issue that shark had with their maps was sorted quite a while ago. I had the issue and Ben and Mikko put countless hours (man time and rolling road time) into fixing it.

This thread seems to have gone a bit off topic, and people seem to be using it to comment about all tuners' maps, rather than just about Shark, for which the thread was originally created iirc.

Go for the Shark map, you won't be disappointed. Mine is so smooth now.

Edited by rk696

The issue that shark had with their maps was sorted quite a while ago. I had the issue and Ben and Mikko put countless hours (man time and rolling road time) into fixing it.

This thread seems to have gone a bit off topic, and people seem to be using it to comment about all tuners' maps, rather than just about Shark, for which the thread was originally created iirc.

Go for the Shark map, you won't be disappointed. Mine is so smooth now.

I managed to fine a local mapper who uses karteknic maps for £250 a go for club members. Hopefully be part of the crew by next week!

No offence Ben, but is it just issues people are having with shark maps?

None taken :)

Many of the posts in this thread would have you believe that it's just our map, but in fact some standard cars do it to a small extent, and sometimes this is accentuated with a map. It isn't just our maps either, but of course there are lots of people running our map on the forum hence why the problematic ones have stood out so much. In reality the number of people this issue affected was rather small but a large thread has developed around it.

We remapped a Briskodian's Mk1 Octavia VRS today and he went away very happy with zero sign of the surge issue.

seems to be a lot of flack aimed at shark by the sounds of it i was a turbo virgin till the vrs came my way and after owning a vrs i can say wow **** can cause issues in loads of ways , breather pipe y swapped, maf swapped, hoses swapped, plugs swapped, coils swapped, air and fuel filters swapped, pcv hoses swapped, oil cap seal swapped, exhaust swapped, rocker gasket swapped,fuel type swapped, temp sensor swapped, thrust sensor swapped, throttle body cleaned and gasket swapped, loom section soon to be swapped just for just lol

so much interlinked and little bits that can cause loads of differnt issues you can't blame one thing let alone one person , unlike some tuners and suppliers shark are trying to cure and help so give them a chance simple as just make sure everything else is spot before blaming one thing... .