Dare I mention Tyres!

My 06 Octavia vrs passed it's mot today!! Excellent!!

Unfortunatley, it got an advisory notice for all 4 tyres! They are cracking up between the treads.

I currently have on Bridgestones 225/45/17 which appear to be Y rated, looking online, tyre firms keep saying the correct tyres for my car are W rated!

Gonna have to change them before long, any recomendations?

Edited by DJD66

Not worth worrying about the differences between the higher W,Y,Z speed ratings at this level in my opinion. If I was regularly doing 140+ over a distance (i.e. not just to test it for Vmax) then I would observe speed rating. Load index is more critical if we theoretically all drive below the accepted speed limits. Course we do...

Uniroyal Rain masters (Rain sports)

" You will not find a better tyre for the price "

I love Uniroyals, but they wear out really quickly. I went through a set in 12k on my old car!

I love Uniroyals, but they wear out really quickly. I went through a set in 12k on my old car!

12k is spot on for a performance tyre. If you downgrade to a less performance orientated tyre then mileage will rise of course, but for the type of use the Uniroyal rainsports are designed for thats the normal mileage in my experience.

Im very tempted with the uni royals next.

Michelin PS3s, or Vredestein ultrac sessantas are good options as well. Goodyear have just released a new F1 assymetric 2 tyre as well

hardly a useful recommendation. what tyres.... off road, track, budget, premium they do lots of different tyres not all of them good compared to the competition.

:dull:

Well the OP hasn't actually specified his budget. Also the Hankooks and Kumho's in his sizes are down as mid-range tyres, as are the uniroyals. Besides its up to the OP to work out which type of tyre he wants to go for whether Ecsta's, ventus primes, ventus evos etc.

Oh and being a former tyre fitter I've yet to come across a bad Hankook or Kumho, also alot of people recommend the bigger brands purely because of the name.

I currently have Kumho KH17s on my car, they grip well, are long lasting and above all quiet. Had a set on my old car that lasted 22k.

Thanks for the replies,

Price wise, I'm looking Mid range to Premium.

But it will be a brand name, not something I haven't heard of!(Heard of all the tyres mentioned in this thread)

The ones on there now, are the originals, they have done 53K!!

Edited by DJD66

But it will be a brand name, not something I haven't heard of!

The ones on there now, are the originals, they have done 53K!!

Why only a brand name? As brand named tyres have issues too and a well known name doesn't mean a great tyre.

Dunlops for example...

Fair point, Car has Bridgestones on at the moment, they've been ok, only played up in the snow!

Considering Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics £120.80 each from www.etyres.co.uk

Got a couple of weeks to decide, before the car has any real work to do.

If I were you I'd go to a local trustworthy tyre place (not kwikfit or anything) and see what they recommend.

I used to be a tyre fitter, so have some experience in tyres (although I did give up 8 years ago), I've just got Kumho's again on my car and my brother had Hankook Ventus Primes fitted today on his car through my recommendation. He came from Pirellis and loves the Hankooks already!

Also £120 seems alot, for only £20 more in your tyre size you can get high end Michelins...

Although I don't think you'd go wrong with Uniroyal Rainexperts/sports. I had rain experts on my Astra in 2009 when we had that heavy snow. And while people were getting stuck the Uniroyals gripped like **** to a blanket. The Kumho's were good but not as good as the Uniroyals.

Have a look on blackcircles.com, they have some Uniroyals in your size from £100 each.

Edited by iCraig

Falken ZE912 , I'm on my 3rd or 4th set. I can't fault them. I drive serious mileage for a living and grip in all conditions is important to me. You should get 15-18,000miles from the fronts. £62 a corner from Camskill.

I've always used either Bridgestone Turanza ER300s (205/65 R16) or Contis on my 140bhp Octy - very good grip, lots of warning before they let go, and they seem to last as long as you'd expect from a high-end tyre. Michelins I am afraid to say don't get on with at all... My latest Octy came with Michelins, and they've worn really badly. They may start out well, but when they are getting low on tread, they're horrible. But then as I live in France, it isn't easy being enthusiastic about anything French!

I'm wondering right now what to put on instead of the Michelins - 140bhp Octy, driven hard over 35,000Km per year, often poor road conditions. 225/45 R17 this time, so I'm also getting worried about cost and longevity! ADAC say good things about Dunlop MAXX TTs...

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/sommerreifen/2010_Sommerreifen_Test_225_45_R17.aspx?ComponentId=29784&SourcePageId=31821

Trocken = Dry, Nass = Wet, Gerausch = Noise, Kraftstoff = Fuel economy and Verschliess = Wear, if you want to check out what they say. They have a reputation for being Germany's most ruthless and objective testers, so it's well worth a look to see what they say. 1 point = good, 5 points = bad.

Edited by ndicki

Never save on tires. Not 20 quid for a low end tire when you can have one of the premium brands. Obviously read the reviews as decent tire manufactures also make cr@py tires.

Dunlop Sport Maxx are trash. My rears are hopeless, completely sawtoothed now. Worst tyre for it IMHO.

Hi All, Hope you dont mind me posting here...

Has anyone used Toyo Tyres?

I've always wanted to try a set of T1 R 's, but there's a new C1 S out, and i feel it may suit my car (a Superb 170 4x4 running 225 40 18's) better.

Al.

here is autobilds latest test using 225/40/18's

http://www.tyrerevie...r-Tyre-Test.htm

I feel sorry for anyone who has purchased the Linglongs - the worst score that Autobild have given for wet performance -2 :o. Would have been more useful it they had included a decent 10th tyre rather than bashing a budget brand.