Oil advice and recommendations here!!

oilman

hi,

I got a 2006 Fabia Classic 1.4 tdi pd, this is my first diesel and I'm not a car-person, I'm just another driver... A week ago, the flashing "Oil" warning appeared on my speedometer display, then I kind of panicked and went to the nearest gas station, and the guy over there recommended me 10W-40 Shell Helix Plus Diesel. So I agreed (it was the most expensive oil in the shelf:

Hello,

It might be a simple question but can you help me find the right oil.

Car 2004 Mk1 VRS Octavia combi with 120k on clock.

Service interval QG1, oil spec VW50300.

I see from the table that I should be able to use Castrol 0w30 fully syn, but my local Skoda said should it be 5w30??

Please help!!

Best regards

Ant.

Don't panic Ant

your Skoda dealer has got it right

503.00 spec has superceded to 504.00 which is the longlife III 5w-30 oil and is 504.00 507.00 approved

best regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guy, if price was not an issue, which it isnt, only the best oil finds its way into any car i own, would you put the Longlife III oils above the 505 01 PD oils, i know its a bit of a generalisation but i dont know which oil to use on interim oil changes on my vRS, whether to buy the PD spec stuff or use the newer 507 00 stuff which covers 505 01 aswell, the general difference in grades was something i was wondering about too, most LL3 seem to be 5W-30 whereas the PD stuff mostly seems to be 5W-40

the car isnt modified or driven hard, but even still, when it comes to oil, only the best will do

• Sponsor

VW505.01 is fine, you will not gain much from using 507.00 as its designed for longlife (other then the low saps bit) so you will be buying a spec you dont need. VW505.01 with regular changes and all will be fine.

I use the Motul VW Specific 505.01 in my PD engine.

Cheers

Guy

• Sponsor
Hi,

My Octavia SLXi 1999 Auto has done 82,000 miles.

Can you recommend a really good oil for my next change? Not bothered about the cost just want the best for my new car :)

Thanks

Jon

Jon,

Take a look here, you'll find plenty of options for your car

Car Engine Oils

If you cannot find what you are looking for please let me know.

Any questions, please ask.

Cheers

Guy

• Sponsor
would i gain at all ?..........the oil would still be changed at 10k intervals

You would gain only in the sense that they are the latest and most up to date and are designed for better economy and more stability, therefore longer life

Cheers

Guy

Thanks for the info Oilman, I noticed they are all Semi-Synthetic, someone told my fully synthetic would be better for my car considering the miles its done and its age.

Do you agree with that, or was he just talking rubbish?

I should add car has a FSH.

Jon

You would gain only in the sense that they are the latest and most up to date and are designed for better economy and more stability, therefore longer life

Cheers

Guy

so its possible i could get better mpg slightly with the newer oils being 5W-30's ?

do you personally think that it would be a trade off against protection, with the older oils being 5W-40's

basically if every oil was FREE, which is the best to use, which would you use

Sorry to butt in: Saw a response on TDI Club where a Mobil 1 CSR responded to a similar question by stating that xW-40 will protect the engine ever so slightly better than a xW-30. Same ref in the VW handbook, where they recommend first the 40 variety then the 30 one... could be related to cost as well (the ref in the handbook).

IMHO, bottom line is: No variable service interval, then use a good quality xW-40 oil, with a low Base number e.g the Motul or Castrol Edge oilman recommended), change often (based on your car usage pattern) and be worry-free.

If you have a particle filter installed (DPF) then 507.00 is mandatory, least you DFP life would be reduced (expensive part to replace)

Variable service interval: 506.01 (preferred, IMHO the best oil there is, but look for those that are suitable for the V10/R5) or else 507.00. Of course, one could use 506.01 for fixed intervals, but what a waste of oil and money...

Neither choice would make a world of difference towards engine life - all are good oils, probably one might see a say 50.000 miles difference between the breakdown mileage depending on oil quality.

Always use OEM (i.e VAG) certified oils rather than self-certified oils (those oils that the producer is too cheap to send for appraisal to VAG).

Just my 0.02

• 2 weeks later...
you'll have to check in your manual when you get the new superbII

i think it will almost certainly be 507.00 only as the 506.01 is now not used in the modern skoda engines

The Superb II manual supplement dated 11/2008 states the 1.9Tdi 105Ps/77Kw Non DPF engine (ie.not Greenline) should use oil conforming to either 506.01 or 507.00 on a Long Life servicing regime.

In any case, I understand from opie OIls that 507.00 is backwards compatible, so really this is what most people are likely to buy. There are 506.01 oils still available, however, those on Opie OIls site are more expensive than some of the newer 507.00 oils!

The Superb II manual supplement dated 11/2008 states the 1.9Tdi 105Ps/77Kw Non DPF engine (ie.not Greenline) should use oil conforming to either 506.01 or 507.00 on a Long Life servicing regime.

In any case, I understand from opie OIls that 507.00 is backwards compatible, so really this is what most people are likely to buy. There are 506.01 oils still available, however, those on Opie OIls site are more expensive than some of the newer 507.00 oils!

Cheers for the info Velo, good to know.

Hello all,

I see many oil related threads popping up from time to time, so I thought I would start a thread dedicated to this toppic, hopefully in time it will become an FAQ as it relates to all of us.

If you have any questions, queries or thoughts, post away.

I will do my best to answere any questions and will give the best possible, profesional advice that I can.

Hopefully the mods will make it a sticky??

Cheers

Guy. :thumbup:

Hi -

Which oil should I use in my 2006 (July) Octavia VRS? It's a petrol engine and I believe it's set to variable servicing. I'm told by the dealership that variable and annually serviced Octavias use the same oil: 1040 semi-synthetic. Is that right?

Thanks.

Pseudobabe