Oil advice and recommendations here!!

oilman

Thats what I thought, but my Brother has a Touran TDI on QG1 ( does his every 5k), when he mentioned the same thing to a local independant he said it was best to keep it on longlife oil - something to do with a sensor on the engine????? Have to be a damn good sensor to tell the difference between types of oil !!!!!. Its got me confused though

It is the sensor among other things that tells you when a variable service is due, if you do lots of short journeys then the service indicator will appear a lot sooner than someone who is doing long journeys.

Are you resetting the service 'reminder' when you change the oil? you should be otherwise you are confusing the computer/sensor.

If you are changing the oil at less than 10K intervals then you are basically doing a 'time and distance' fixed serving anyway, so although using the fully synthetic VW506.01 or VW507.00 spec oil is preferred, it's not required and all you are doing is waisting (even more) money by changing it up to 4 times sooner than required.

Yes I reset the service indicator everytime. I have had a fair few VW's before coming over to the Skoda dark side !!!!!!! Last one was a Passat Sport Estate with the 110 TDI AFN engine (wish I had never sold it) I used to run that on Quantum to VAG 505.00 ( think it was that spec) did the same & changed oil every 5K on that too. Just been a little confused with the oil specs & QG1. Thanks for the help

Hello.

I just got this 2004 Superb with AWX engine. Car has done 124000 kms and it's been run with LL oil change intervals until now. Now, I'm old and old school and I wish to continue with fixed oil change intervals so I need to choose a 505.01 oil.

We have at least following the 505.01 products available here:

Neste City Standard 5W-40 https://www.neste.fi/tp_tiedote.aspx?productid=044100〈=en&type=tt

Teboil Diamond Diesel 5W-40 Teboil Diamond Diesel

Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40 Engine Oil and Lubricants Castrol UK - Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40

I'm a bit partial towards the Castrol although it is 30% more expensive than the other two products. Oil manufacturers most likely do not produce bad products but still, my main question is: is this Castrol a good choice for these engines and will it maintain it's quality and viscosity for the whole interval?

Furthermore, I wasn't able to find Mann filters locally. Are Bosch oil filters considered quality products?

BR,

Finn

Edited by TheFinn

• 1 month later...

With regard to oil quality is Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 actually any good?

I've used it in my MK1 Octavia vRS over the last 11 months and am just shy of hitting 10k so will be changing it again, i've still got 2 litres left from last time so figured i'd just buy another 4L jobby.

I don't want to be using rubbish though? Does the semi-synthetic aspect of it really make that much difference if its being changed every 10k, is there a genuine down side to using it?

• Sponsor

It's a fairly ordinary semi-synthetic, suitable but not ideal for annual/10k changes.

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

5w-40, 5w-40 oil, 5w40, 5w/40

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

• Sponsor

Out of the 10w-40's, my choice (without going to the expensive ones) would be the Fuchs XTR. It's just as good if not better than the other semi-synthetics, cheap too.

A 5w-40 like the Motul X-Cess would be the ideal choice as it will give a bit better cold start protection.

• 1 month later...

I got fabia 1,2 htp year of make 2004 and she have 103000 kilometers driven.I will have a service on 105ooo kilometers.I ve got diferent information about engine oil.Someone say,best is 5w-40 the others tell me the best is 10-w40.What is the right choice?

Thank you for any information.

Guest westallc

hi is the redline 5w40 really that good???? or is there better???

i want an uprgaded oil and not to botherd on price would you recommend the above or something else??

car is a 2002 octavia vrs 1.8t

• 2 months later...

Hello Folks,

im new on here and would like to know which type of oil would be suitable for my Fabia 1.9 sdi , fully synthetic stuff is really expensive so would semi synthetic or ordinary do? many thanks in advance

When I use the "what oil for my car" link above I get recommended 5w 30,yet most on here with a vRS are talking about using 5w 40 /10w 40 I am confused ?

• 1 month later...

Nice knowing that the Briskoda is active, but here in Malaysia not that good... somehow would like to get a good advise from you all.... now i'm planning to change the ATF oil... by recommendation from the origin.. it would be G 052 990 A2... can I used after market brand which had stated TL52162 (VW)...

mine is Skoda Fabia 1.4 16V (AUA engine) Automatic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got my oil from skoda, £19.50+vat full sythetic 5w40 Quantam, same stuff they stick in just about any fixed servicing skoda. Wished i knew it was reasonably priced before i wasted my time searching for oil lol

• 4 months later...

Just read through all the posts, phew! With variable service setup how does the car monitor this? Is there some sensor in the oil filter or does it just compare something like mileage and mpg (giving a crude indication of how hard the car has been driven).

Also is there much difference between Halfords and Mobil oils? Got some Halfords 5W/30 fully synthetic 507.00 for my octavia VRS mk1 '05. Is this all good in the hood for variable service?

Cheers,

Clart

Forgot to add, if I change the oil myself will the car stop hassling me for a service when I switch on the ignition or does it need to be plugged into a computer diagnostic thing to be reset? Would like to keep it as variable if poss.

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

I see many oil related threads popping up from time to time, so I thought I would start a thread dedicated to this toppic, hopefully in time it will become an FAQ as it relates to all of us.

If you have any questions, queries or thoughts, post away.

I will do my best to answere any questions and will give the best possible, profesional advice that I can.

Hopefully the mods will make it a sticky??

Cheers

Guy. :thumbup: