VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

To be honest I don't know any more!

Did the problem get worse after the injectors were changed? Yes.

Was the problem there before and been made worse by the injector change? Possibly.

Is it actually the injectors causing the problem? Who knows!

I expect a slightly slower engine start in extreme temepratures but 3-4 seconds of cranking/spluttering isn't right.

The annoying thing is that there are others out there suffering this same issue.

After first fitting the new injectors they have been out on a number of different occasions to be checked and re-checked so I can only assume that they are happy that they are fitted and are working correctly. The saga continues!

Do you think it might help if " Someone else " i.e.:- another dealer had a look, they might just spot something that your dealer hasn't noticed. If they think they are fitted right first time, every time they put them back in they'll always put them back that way. Are the injectors made to fit in a special order or position or can the go anywhere, in and order

That was me, search for my 'Gritty Oil' thread.

I've since had the oil and filter changed and will be watching the level very closely to make sure that it isn't still rising.

jrw, was the diesel leaking out onto the ground or into the sump?

Well I've had my injectors done on my car on the 28th dec 2011 and I've had nothing but problems with the car. After I got the car back it cut out coming up to around about and it's feels really restrictive and not wanting to go. (if you get what I mean). So I phoned skoda up who said bring it back to the garage and they would have a look. In the mean time I popped open the bonnet and found diesel leaking from the fuel flitter. So I took it back to skoda who said that the issue had nothing to do with them and it was like that before they had a look at it. So I took it back to another garage who put a new fuel flitter in and it's been ok until yesterday when my exhaust control warning light came on. Do you think this has anything to do with the injectors and for the car feeling very restrictive?

Cheers rob

Ross - sorry, the answer to this is probably already buried in these 38 pages, but... My car is going to be checked to see if it needs new injectors in a couple of weeks when the MOT is done. To check if they need replacing, do they have to remove the injectors from the head?

jrw, was the diesel leaking out onto the ground or into the sump?

Onto the ground - there was a puddle on the drive when she reversed off to go to work apparently.

Ross - sorry, the answer to this is probably already buried in these 38 pages, but... My car is going to be checked to see if it needs new injectors in a couple of weeks when the MOT is done. To check if they need replacing, do they have to remove the injectors from the head?

They have to remove then cam cover to check the part number but not the injector.

Mine struggled to start this morning in -2 temps, the first time it has struggled.

im also pleased to report no further DPF problems after my initial lot, I ran a tank of diesel with DPF cleaner it so maybe that snake oil has helped!

• Like 1

Guest liverpoolphil

im also pleased to report no further DPF problems after my initial lot, I ran a tank of diesel with DPF cleaner it so maybe that snake oil has helped!

I'm also quite happy to report that, although my DPF issues havent gone away, since my full tank including a bottle of JLM DPF cleaner my problems seem to have settled (although not gone away completely!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Picked up my VRS TDi today and looking in the back of the service book under 'workshop entries' it was in for 'recall 23J7' on the 30 december last year at Lightcliffe Skoda in Warrington. Is the injector recall?

Sent an Email in the end to Lightcliffe Skoda and they can confirm that recall 23J7 was the injector recall. That's a weight of my mind that it's been done.

• 3 months later...

i hav a mk5 golf gt tdi 170

and i hav this cold start issue after the injector recall for a long time got mine change before this was made public i tryed to contact vw uk and my local garage and they so its just the way the car is

my symptom are

after the car has been turned off for over 8hours + and i come to start it ther will be a big mist of blue smoke and very rough idle i need to add some accelrator for 2 seconds and then it will idle fine and no smoke

any idea what this could be or any fixes for this ?

i changed fuel filter and oil and just had a new turbo nothing wrong with the old one and changed oil again problem is still ther

i dont hav a dpf or egr and my crankcase brather is vented to atmosphere so ther is no gunk goin back into the engine all the intercooler pipe work is clean including the inlet manifodl that was removed and cleaned

im just lost with this issue and i hate to start my car in a morning its as tho its a 100 year old warplane engine starting

thanks for any advice

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have 57 plate Skoda Octavia vRS 170bhp and only had 4 months when the car cut out suddenly on the motorway doing 80mph. It was injector No.1, had it replaced by non-dealer, however I got in touch with Skoda UK and they're refunding me the costs and local Skoka Dealer will replace all remaining 3 injectors for free.

If you have this model car then ring your local dealer and get a new set of injectors for courtesy of VW group.

Good Luck

Yep, that's pretty much what the previous 769 posts alluded to too :giggle:

Glad you got it sorted, it's just a shame you hadn't seen this thread earlier and avoided a breakdown on the motorway.

I wonder how many other PD170 owners are out there that haven't been in for their FOC injectors...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Me too Nick.

My oil cooler is leaking oil into the coolant.

What's the chances that the diluted oil caused by the incorrectly fitted injectors (that led to a failed turbo) has also damaged the seals in the oil cooler?

:wall:

I was wrong, the two seals in the oil cooler are in contact with the coolant, not the oil, so I can rule out oil contamination as the cause.

The oil coolers are renowned for corroding internally apparantly. As the corrosion gets worse so does the amount of oil that escapes into the coolant.

I've been lucky by catching it early, the coolant is clean, there is just oil/sludge collecting around the edge of the header tank.

The guy at the dealer said that what normally alerts owners is the low coolant warning light, caused by the header tank being completely full of oil.

At this point it's a bigger job as flushing out the oil is a long job as it requires several flushes and a new header tank.

Skoda want £460 so I'm sourcing the part from a local motor factors and getting my friendly independant garage to do it for £40/hour instead of £90!

Edited by silver1011