Pre cat removed

Had my car back at Shark for a tweak to the map to help with the mods done to my car. It pulls much quicker now and is more responsive than it was on the normal stage 1 map. It will be going on Sharks rollers on the 17th so I will report back with the results. However it wont be a direct comparison as I am also fitting a K&N typhoon intake system I got for £92! :o I wanted to keep the OE engine cover but I just want the spool up noise you get with the air filters.B)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Removing the downpipe was very easy and I didnt have to remove any of the o2 sensors. Initially I used a drill to place holes into the pre cat and then used a thin chisel to hammer it out. It does make a lot of mess and dust so be prepared for it. I then used some wire wool and a chisel to remove the material that secured the cat in the downpipe.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this 56 but slight confusion for me here.

1. Are you saying that the GolfMk5 thread showing downpipe sensors, are not fitted on the vRS?

2. I take it that the drill & chisel was used to break up/out the pre cat internal material.

3. Very confused with the underlined. The "cat", you describe, is contained within the "meshed" part of the downpipe, and to de-precat the system you need to Firstly: Remove cat material. Secondly: Remove cat material holder?

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this 56 but slight confusion for me here.

1. Are you saying that the GolfMk5 thread showing downpipe sensors, are not fitted on the vRS?

2. I take it that the drill & chisel was used to break up/out the pre cat internal material.

3. Very confused with the underlined. The "cat", you describe, is contained within the "meshed" part of the downpipe, and to de-precat the system you need to Firstly: Remove cat material. Secondly: Remove cat material holder?

Anybody out there 'bump'

Hopefully I can help as I did this 2 years ago, my pictures are back on page 1.

1. On the pre facelift car (BWA Engine code), there are 2 lambda sensors fitted, one at the pre-cat and one at the main cat. For my photos I had removed the one fitted to the pre-cat for 2 reasons;

a/ to give more clearance when removing the downpipe from the car.

b/ So I didn't damage it when smashing out the pre cat material.

2. I just used an old flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to smash the pre-cat material.

3. Hopefully the below photo will help?:

P1050722-Copy.jpg

• 2 years later...

If you want the part numbers for the gasket and 4 nuts that you are supposed to change they are:

Nut, (4 off) Replace, Coat stud bolts on exhaust manifold with hot bolt paste. (40 Nm)

Part no - N 102 861 08

Gasket, Replace. Part no - 1K0 253 115 AB

Edit: These are for a TFSi (BWA engine code)

Parts cost less than a tenner.

Where's the best place to get these parts?

• 3 months later...

Stu,

I just unbolted the front section, knocked out the pre-cat material and bolted the lot back together.

Sensor fits where it was removed from.

Simples,

Dealer will have gasket and bolts if required, I used the old bits and have had no problems.

• Like 1

Sorry for the thread revival.

Anybody with a TSI done this and have part numbers for the gasket and nuts?

Are the sensors in the same position? 

Cheers.

I have a 1.8tsi and knocked out cat #1 about 6000km ago.  The 1.8tsi only has 1 02 sensor just before cat #2 & I left it in.  I re-used the gasket & nuts

Spool up is definitely earlier (maybe 200rpm), the cars a bit more responsive.  No change to fuel economy.

I was pretty happy with the results and would have left it long term but I just got a good deal on an APR 3" DP so will be moving to that with a 200cell cat shortly.

Stu,

I just unbolted the front section, knocked out the pre-cat material and bolted the lot back together.

Sensor fits where it was removed from.

Simples,

Dealer will have gasket and bolts if required, I used the old bits and have had no problems.

Cheers Wayne.

Time to get me some car ramps.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

It's been a long time since last post, but can someone please tell me the easiest way to remove the dp to turbo nuts. I have the car up on stands atm, but can lower easily enough.

Also does anyone have torque settings for them nuts.

thanks in advance