AVG anti virus software

Chubbs

Hi

I've been using AVG free (version 9.0) for about 18 months now for home computer security but have upgraded recently to the next free version 10.0 (2011).

This has caused problems with the Internet Explorer (8 and 9) to crash albeit I can still use Mozilla Firefox. I can't read hotmail emails on either browser.

I've tried removing AVG and re-installing, custom installing by not enabling the new link scanner (as recommended on other forums) and even tried other recommended free software but still the same problem.

Any ideas folks to stop my head exploding!

Many thanks

The geeks I work with who use windows are recommending Microsofts own free product. I occasionally boot into windows (xp & 7) on my 2 pcs & run it without problems.

Avast is much better and uses less system resources.

I just downloaded their free version but they want money within 30 days via the registration form, so not sure if I've done it right?

Says version 6.0.1125

I just downloaded their free version but they want money within 30 days via the registration form, so not sure if I've done it right?

Says version 6.0.1125

You can just have the free one, I think a pop up appears but you just click no thanks

@ Chubbs: did you run all program upgrades after installing? I know there was som issue with AVG Safe Search causing IE to crash that supposedly was fixed with an upgrade. What if you disable the safe search function (rather useless IMHO)?

Having said that, I can also say that I find avast a good alternative, not least because it's easy to disable functions that you dont need, thus reducing memory/processor use.

For windows I now use the free Microsoft Security essentials, after AVG and Avast have both missed viruses. I recently uninstalled AVG and installed the MS product and it found a virus that had been on my system for who knows how long and totally missed by AVG.

On my macbook I use Sophos because it also detects windows viruses and with the amount of data moved between windows and OSX this is important to me. If I only used OSX then I would have no AV installed on my mac.

For windows I now use the free Microsoft Security essentials, after AVG and Avast have both missed viruses. I recently uninstalled AVG and installed the MS product and it found a virus that had been on my system for who knows how long and totally missed by AVG.

On my macbook I use Sophos because it also detects windows viruses and with the amount of data moved between windows and OSX this is important to me. If I only used OSX then I would have no AV installed on my mac.

Exactly my reasons for not using avg.

Repeatedly in tech virus/malware detection tests for a number of years now avg has consistently fared very poorly.

Instead I've stuck with McAfee which along with Norton is always rated at the top for detection, removal and system protection.

But the system hog with McAfee's 2010 suite is making me ponder whether to get 2011 next month, or move to Norton.

My computer geek man installed Microsoft Security Essential on my computers. He says it is better than AVG and better than Norton that I actually pay for.. Microsoft Security Essentials is free. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

My computer geek man installed Microsoft Security Essential on my computers. He says it is better than AVG and better than Norton that I actually pay for.. Microsoft Security Essentials is free. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

+1 for MSE and i am a 'computer geek' apparently :giggle:

Many thanks for all replies - the problem seems to go when I uninstall AVG, that's why I tried Avira and Avast as good alternatives but the problem remains with these too. Will try Microsoft Essentials but if that doesn't work I'll be stumped. I didn't want to pay for protection in case the problem remained, and like you say the free stuff is usually very good.

I used to swear by AVG until recently..

But as you and others have reported, the 2011 version is slow, and wants frequent reboots to apply updates (i always use sleep so machine rarely gets 'booted)

Ive since switched to the microsoft security essentials and think its great :)

Here is what I would do.

Stick avast on or MS Security Essentials

Download spybot and update, immunise and scan for issues.

Download and run CCleaner and scan/fix registry issues.

Come back and let us know if it's okay after this.

We need to see application event logs for the crashes.

We'll then deal with the hotmail thing.

used to use AVG, that though let a virus though, used ms security essentials since without any problems... also advise to get malware bytes free version to run along side, very good bit of software

Here is what I would do.

Stick avast on or MS Security Essentials

Download spybot and update, immunise and scan for issues.

Download and run CCleaner and scan/fix registry issues.

Come back and let us know if it's okay after this.

We need to see application event logs for the crashes.

We'll then deal with the hotmail thing.

Done the above whilst running Firefox - browser runs ok but no registry issues detected by CCleaner. I can log in to hotmail and see my emails but can't open them. Likewise if I wanted to watch a topic on Briskoda it won't let me complete this request?! Any ideas? Thanks.

Done the above whilst running Firefox - browser runs ok but no registry issues detected by CCleaner.

Avast or MS Essentials installed?

I've had problems with AVG in the past and moved to Avast.

Then Avast put out a borked signature update the other month that said the whole internet was a virus.

Now on MS Security essentials.

They're all reasonable considering they are free but not without problems. You will possibly need to try a couple before finding one that suits.

Comodo also make free antivirus software.

And don't forget to get a firewall or at least turn on the built in Windows firewall.

http://antivirus.comodo.com/

You can use Clam AV on Linux and you should still make sure there is a firewall running between you and the web.

As more people start to use Linux at home it'll become more of a target, just like Apple.