Dipped lights

I have owned the car for just over a year from new and it is fantastic. The only problem I have is that other drivers seem to think I am driving with main beam when I am only using dipped beam. They go on full beam and it is really ****ing me off any suggestions.

I am considering changing my main beam to 100w bulbs, I don't see any other options as the level of the lights is controlled by the ECU. If I do change then hopefully I will burn their eyeballs out but is there an issue with the lights on this car.

Have you had the alignment checked out?

Not yet I assumed that as I bought the car from new that it would be correct. Main dealer next stop.

I have owned the car for just over a year from new and it is fantastic. The only problem I have is that other drivers seem to think I am driving with main beam when I am only using dipped beam. They go on full beam and it is really ****ing me off any suggestions.

I am considering changing my main beam to 100w bulbs, I don't see any other options as the level of the lights is controlled by the ECU. If I do change then hopefully I will burn their eyeballs out but is there an issue with the lights on this car.

Worst suggestion ever.

What is worse than you being dazzled by a car coming towards you putting their full beam on?

You doing the same so neither of you can see!!

As suggested get your alignment checked - putting illegal bulbs in your car just to purposely blind other drivers has got to be one of the craziest ideas ever to grace this site.

• Like 1

Have you got xenons? If not, manually adjust them down (with the switch next to the light dial) until you have some sort of other solution :).

As previously suggested, if you haven't got xenons, then manually adjust the lights for the interim but get them checked for alignment.

Also to echo stoofa, 2 cars dazzling each other = head on collsion! :o Why waste a perfectly good Skoda. :p

I was also thinking of upgrading my high beam to 100w from the 55 w bulb, but it felt like spoiling the finish and transparency of the headlight polycarbonate cover by overheating caused by 100w bulb and the wiring has to be disturbed by fitting relays.Hence I changed the bulbs to Osrams Nightvision breaker which is giving good result without any alteration and increasing power consumption and heating problem.

As above it hardly seems right that your first solution is to dazzle people more since you already appear to be dazzling them with your dipped beam. Surely your first thought should be to ix your car and not dazzle people more. Maybe put your fogs on as well to complete the dazzle!!!!!

Good idea to have your own alignment checked but there are always odd situations where other drivers will be slightlty dazzled simply by the relative positions of cars on bends in roads etc etc and flash because you have slightly disturbed their own little world.... If you think about it there are many occasions when oncoming headlights seem to be dazzling, negotiating roads humps etc.. You can never change what other people do but some do seem to think that night driving will not give any more reason to be cautious and slow down a bit.... consequently they hoot and flash at anything which slightly inconveniences them. Oncoming headlights do slightly dazzle you anyway because of the contrast with the night time darkness.... so don't assume that their is anything wrong with your own lights but worth checking so you can be sure both for your own peace of mind and in consideration of fellow drivers. I would resist the temptation to "dazzle back" deliberately....

Fair enough if he was being flashed very infrequently, but to warrant posting on here it sounds to me as though he is getting flashed much more regularly.

As we all know, poorly adjusted headlights are dangerous, if other drivers feel the need to turn on their main beam in retaliation then that means both drivers are blinded which I'm guessing significantly increasing the chances of swapping paint or worse.

After a few flashes I would get the hint and have my lights checked as a matter of priority. It is even possible to temporarily adjust them yourself by parking up against a wall and using the adjusters on the back of the headlights to angle them down until you can get to a garage.

As others have suggested the obvious choice is to use the knob next to the headlight switch and adjust them down in seconds.

I think the vast majority of drivers have learnt that when an approaching car is rounding a bend or cresting a hill then the headlights are brighter for a few seconds.

When I collected my Octavia with xenon headlights I was getting flashed regularly, I took it back to have them reset and they have been fine ever since - simple :thumbup:

...It is even possible to temporarily adjust them yourself by parking up against a wall and using the adjusters on the back of the headlights to angle them down until you can get to a garage.

If you have Xenons DO NOT try to maually adjust them like this. They have to be put into an adjustment mode using VCDS before you physically adjust them. Doing it manually could break the adjusters the next time you use the headlights and they self-check. Some people over on the Audi forums have found this out the hard way.

Worst suggestion ever.

What is worse than you being dazzled by a car coming towards you putting their full beam on?

You doing the same so neither of you can see!!

As suggested get your alignment checked - putting illegal bulbs in your car just to purposely blind other drivers has got to be one of the craziest ideas ever to grace this site.

I think he was being sarcastic

First thing to do is drive up to a wall on level ground (stop about 10 feet away) and put your lights on to see if they are both at an even height. You may find that one is much higher than the other.

If that is the case, try lowering the height of the high one so it is the same as the other one rather than just blindly lowering them and hoping for the best.

If you then find them too low when out on the road, drive to the wall again and raise them both slightly and try that. If you do them at a wall, you can keep them both at the same height.

Cheers

Dave

First thing to do is drive up to a wall on level ground (stop about 10 feet away) and put your lights on to see if they are both at an even height. You may find that one is much higher than the other.

If that is the case, try lowering the height of the high one so it is the same as the other one rather than just blindly lowering them and hoping for the best.

If you then find them too low when out on the road, drive to the wall again and raise them both slightly and try that. If you do them at a wall, you can keep them both at the same height.

Cheers

Dave

A good plan for a car out of warranty, but this is a one year old car we're talking abot. I would go back to the supplying dealer and have them sort it out.

• 6 months later...

Have you got xenons? If not, manually adjust them down (with the switch next to the light dial) until you have some sort of other solution :).

Is there a way to adjust them individually? My drivers side headlight seems to be facing too low, and has the opposite effect where I get flashed by oncoming drivers who think my lights out...

I was also thinking of upgrading my high beam to 100w from the 55 w bulb, but it felt like spoiling the finish and transparency of the headlight polycarbonate cover by overheating caused by 100w bulb and the wiring has to be disturbed by fitting relays.Hence I changed the bulbs to Osrams Nightvision breaker which is giving good result without any alteration and increasing power consumption and heating problem.

I have fitted 100watt H3 bulbs without extra heat being generated compared to original 55 watt bulbs. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Have not changed/upgraded wiring/ fitted relays, OK for the last 3 years.

• 2 months later...

I wasted money getting a dealer to adjust headlights thinking they would do a good job witha beamsetter. They just set them to be ridiculously low so that dip only lights about 15 yards/metres in front of the car to ensure it will pass an MOT which just makes sure the dipped beams are below horizontal but no requirement for them to actually illuminate the road ahead.

The garage also ignored the main beam which I had told them were one low and the other very high.

The only way to adjust is to use a level car park with another car about 20-30 yards in front of you and something to cover one headlight while you adjust the other.

The only way to adjust is to use a level car park with another car about 20-30 yards in front of you and something to cover one headlight while you adjust the other.

Or find a better dealer...

As others have said on here,I wouldn't bother uprating your bulbs. I have a commute out into the sticks and thought it would be good to fit Ring Sportz Blue 80W dipped beam bulbs to help with vision. Waste of time! They lasted about 6-8 months each time. Changed them both twice and was sick of it! Stick with standard wattage bulbs and get your headlamp alignment checked as per others have said.