Dont buy Autogrip F107 tyres. Any recomendations?

Hello all,

Just purchased an Octavia TDI, the previous owner had fitted Autogrip F107 tyres, they are lethal in the wet!! Rounded a corner at a very mderate pace and got severe under steer. Not good with my family in the car!!! Tried a hill start and got wheel spin, it was like driving on ice! Thought they were a bit suspect earlier in the week as i was getting alot of wallowing on corners. These tyres are shocking!!

Can anyone recommend some decent midd range tyres as these ones will be coming off tomorrow!

Thanks

Bunnerz

Kumho Ku31 (discontinued now, shame), Falken FK452, Michelin PS3 (v expesnive), Uniroyal Rainsport2, vredestein ultrac sessanta.

Apparently the new Matador MP46's are quite good from the reviews I have read on the net. I'm going to try them when I wear the current Kumhos out.

Ive got a set of matadors mp46's on the back of my vrs, there abit continental tyre looking on tread pattern, dont seem bad tyres, they will be moving up front soon once my pirellis eventually die,

That doesn't surprise me, being that Continental own matador. They're probably loosely based on the old sport contact tyres.

Who knows, maybe the MP46 will be the replacement for the legendary Ku31's :D

I've been running 452s for a few months now and they're very good. A bit noisier because of the XL sidewall but lovely sharp handling and no noticeable wear so far. Not bad in the wet either, but obviously not as good as a dedicated tyre.

I've been running Toyo Proxes T1-R on an Elegance for nearly 5 years now. My biggest issue is that they don't particularly like sticky snow, but no-one, not even the "Winter tyres should be compulsory" lobby, has yet come up with an answer that shows that they have an answer to this problem.

I ran toyos for years but they were only giving me about 9k a set, switched to the falken 452 and they are giving me about 12-13k a set

I'm hard pushed to find a difference in grip tbh, 452's are better in snow but still not great, but then they never will be.

The 452's are definatly better in standing water though, I found the TR1's to be quite scary.

I can get two Falken for £150 fitted locally where as the toyos are about £210 nowadays

T1-Rs - About 12_000 fronts, and more on the rear, maybe twice that. I'm not one for wheel-spinny takeoffs even if the ASR allowed them, but living up here is a brake workout.

When I bought the car it had Dunlops on the front, and they only lasted 8k, with worse wet (and dry) grip.

Edited by KenONeill

Hmm, seems like the Falkens get quite a good review from you guys.

I have T1r's on my P1 and they have lasted me almost 3 years now. . . It does get driven like Miss Daisy 90% of the time.

What size tyres would you recommend for the Octavia? (Standard 17" spiders.)

Thanks in advance

Ray

Edited by RayRay

Me personally, I like tyres that perhaps only do say 8 or 9000 miles but have the grip to keep you on the road, regardless of price. Cheap tyres or ditch finders are no good. Do not skimp on tyres, your life is in there hands.

Grip over mileage all the time " Why buy a car for £X pounds then boot it with Cr@p

Just my opinion.

I'm currently running Hankook V12 EVO's on the front of the vrs, bought them in feb and can't fault them.

Although, decent grip on the front and running tracmax on the rear (previous owner) i do get some nice

angles coming round wet roundabouts. :D

Had Kumho ecsta ku31's on my old 325i Sport and loved them, 2 ring trips, trackday @ oulton park and

about 6 drift days at oulton and there was still life in them when i sold it 6 weeks ago.

Thanks in advance

Ray

Standard size is 205/50/17 which i think work well. I'm sure i've seen 225/45's fitted also, but this aint my field

so just went standard.

Hmm, seems like the Falkens get quite a good review from you guys.

I have T1r's on my P1 and they have lasted me almost 3 years now. . . It does get driven like Miss Daisy 90% of the time.

Thanks in advance

Ray

I managed to get a set of Kuhmo ku39 225/45/17's for (£64.50) £10 cheaper each than the 452's i got 6 months before (205/50/17) which i put on the back, due to this i can do a direct comparison and say that i find the ku39's better than the 452's although they are a lil bit noisier. Just checked on camskill and 225/45 452's are only £2 more now £74.50

205/50 452's are £72.50 at camskill When i was looking 205's were more expensive than 225'5

I can confirm the Falken 452 are a good tyre and have lasted almost 17,000 miles on my Octy vrs Mk2. I can also vouch for the T1-R however I am going for a set of Toyo T1 Sports next month. They are very similar to the Goodyear asymetrics and better than the T1-R. Wider tread pattern, dual compound and stiffer sidewall plus they are only £100 a corner for my 18inch wheels, which is only £30 a corner more than the FK452s!