dash squeek... solved at last! i hope!

Had my Vrs for about 14 months now from new, i love the car ...but! the car was fine for about 6 months but ever since then i have had a squeek from the passenger side of the dash its doing my head in now to the point of wanting to get rid of the car (i'm even tempted by a vauxhall insignia things must be bad! :o ) the car has now been in 5 times for the same fault and to be honest nothing has cured it and its just getting worse. the last time it went in i was told there was a re-call for some bits and bobs on the dash (begs the question why it hadnt been done in the past as its all been main dealer and the re-call is an old one, only for cars with rattles/squeeks) but thats made things worse. had the air vent changed passneger side but the squeek is still there. The sound is the same as two bits of plastic forced together and then rubbed up and down on each other, have tried pushing pulling and wiggling most of the dash but nothing helps.

Anyone else had problems? anyone had problems and found a cure (have already tried the turning music up louder!)

Edited by div

I have heard a few people having the same issue, we also hear this squeking every now and then.

There are a couple that have had some success by pulling the side panel off the dash on the passenger side and spraying silicon spray in there, not sure if I want to do that but thats the only "fix" i've heard of.

I also had a dash squeek from the passenger side - right at the bit where the dash meets the cover that goes up the inside of the A-pillar.

I took the A-pillar cover off and I found a very small bit of metal - almost like a bit of weld - that MIGHT have been the cause, I snipped it off with pliers.It kind-of looked like the robots or the workers had welded a joint but then had kept going for a few extra mm leaving an 'overhang' of weld.

At the same time though I also pulled the cover off the side of the dash - the bit you can't see when the door is shut. I had a good poke/pull/prod around in there and couldn't see anything obvious, but there was a white sticky label that was wrapped around part of the loom, I pulled this off completely then when I put the bits all back together the squeek seems to have gone.

Might have been the label, might have been the wee bit of metal behind the a-pillar cover, more likely it was a combination of pushing and pulling things apart that has 'cured' it.

Are you sure it is in the dash? If you are anything like me you will hear every squeek and rattle but when it comes to working out where they come from...

I have a twittering squeek on mine that I was convinced was coming from the glovebox area, or was it the back seat :|

Turned out to be the centre arm rest - if I slide it forward to the 1st notch the squeek disappears. Push it back and it returns. To check, hold it firmly from above, in the middle and move it side to side.

Are you sure it is in the dash? If you are anything like me you will hear every squeek and rattle but when it comes to working out where they come from...

I have a twittering squeek on mine that I was convinced was coming from the glovebox area, or was it the back seat :|

Turned out to be the centre arm rest - if I slide it forward to the 1st notch the squeek disappears. Push it back and it returns. To check, hold it firmly from above, in the middle and move it side to side.

+1, after pushing and pulling my dashboard I finally discovered it was the centre armrest causing the irritating squeak noise when pushed fully back. My previous vRS had the same annoying noise and I never worked out at that time where it was coming from.

Edited by sneeks

is it not the rubber seal from the dash to the door for the air vent , try treating it with dash cleaner or vinyl and rubber care.

Obviously the Centre Armrest squeaking is a common problem then as my [Feb 2010] VRS has exactly the same issue and pretty much has since new, As said it only squeaks when its all the way back, I generally have it all the way forward because of this all of the time but when someone else uses my car it always comes back with it pushed back and squeaking!

I've tried various things to try and stop int, various lubricants etc but I've not once stopped it as of yet, anybody ever managed to solve it? I bloody hate rattles / squeaks! My parcel shelf does it sometimes as well which drives me crazy!

I generally have it all the way forward because

Trouble is it is sometimes awkward to get at the handbrake when the armrest is right forward.

if its the dash on the passenger side, I had the same problem, I cured it by opening the door, removing the plastic snap in end panel and you will see a mounting point where the dash is fastened to the metal work, remove this then cover it with copaslip copper grease and screw it back in.......end of squeak for me :thumbup: worth a try as its a fee fix if you have some copper grease, at worst a couple of pounds for a tube

• Like 1

is it not the rubber seal from the dash to the door for the air vent , try treating it with dash cleaner or vinyl and rubber care.

I have a thread on this one somewhere but mine was the ducting itself that goes from behind the panel at side to vent for door was rattling the odd time! Got to dealers they couldnt find problem then I forgot to mention what I thought it was and they took it out and put lagging on it to make it fit better AWESOME now not a sound took the dealers like 3 hours with me floating about looking in the showroom giving the pestering sales men the old "why would I want one of those when I have a 4 week okd VRS in the workshop :p"

Hi thanks for the replies,

Yes its definatly the dash or glove box not the arm rest. has been in 5 times now to the local dealer, so have contacted skoda uk who tell me they are going to get me a car for a while so they can have the car and try and sort the problem out once and for all!. ill take a print out of this with me to give them ideas of what to look for! pain in the butt to be honest as i brough the car to be on the road not parked in a work shop or have some sales gimp giving it a good seeing too while i have a bloody micra on hire!

Cured mine with a folded up bit of thin card wedged between the side of the dash and the car body. If you open the passenger door you'll see where the forward part of the side panel of the dash rests against the 'door frame', for want of a better description. Applying the card here stopped the squeak. if i can get a picture done i'll post it on here to show you. Not a single squeak since doing so.

I guess I should swap the white card for black card, but makes for an easy pic...

050720111948.jpg

050720111949.jpg

As I've said, problem solved. :thumbup:

...So its not just me...

Had identical issue with my '10 FL vRS.

Initially, I tried the "bit of card" fix (in my case between the dashboard and the A pillar), but the squeak came back.

I described it as squeak/rattle to dealership. They had the car for a day and returned to me with:

...rectified by "removed stray clip and refitted into correct place, tightened all dash screws which were accesable, applied tape to glove box lid to improve fit when shut. If rattle persists the dash will have to come out to secure all dash fitting and retest"

Unfortunately, the squeak is returning, intermittently at the moment, but one more holiday on the A roads of Norfolk could see it being a "dash will have to come out to secure all dash fitting and retest" :doh:

I have to say that so far I have no problem with the dealership, but I do hope this does not turn into one of those familiar, "Oh, hello again" type of relationship.

Didnt realise I had the dreaded 'Dash squeak' problem as usually have the Ipod on and away I go!

It is more noticable when there is a passenger in and many attempts to silence it dont last long before it returns.

Havent had time to take it back to the dealers but have taken on board other posters comments and see what brings :thumbup:

Interesting most are reporting the noise coming from same location which does point the finger as a QC issue.:S

Didnt realise I had the dreaded 'Dash squeak' problem as usually have the Ipod on and away I go!

It is more noticable when there is a passenger in and many attempts to silence it dont last long before it returns.

Havent had time to take it back to the dealers but have taken on board other posters comments and see what brings :thumbup:

Interesting most are reporting the noise coming from same location which does point the finger as a QC issue.:S

well although i know how annoying it is for others i am kind of glad its not just me! mine certainly has turned into the hello me again! with the dealers the only thing they have tried as far as i know is to change the air vent passenger side of the dash. skoda uk were supposed to ring me back "the begining of the week" but nothing yet apart from an answer phone message saying that they cant do anything as yet as they cant get hold of my local dealers!

:thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Just in case anyone else has similar problems, just back from the deelers,they had the dash off and found that one of the welds that holds the trunking for cables aircon pipes etc wasnt welded properly and had come adrift. i hope now the squeek has gone for good. on the downside the car has come back after 3 days at the deeler's nearly 30 litres of fuel lighter! (didnt take a note of the milage)but a bit OTT i think, and i now have a nice fluffy drivers seat as if someone has had something in their back pocket which has kinda torn the top layer of stitching to the drivers seat, and back support part of the seat. Back to Skoda UK again! :thumbdown:

Me too noticed the squeek from passenger side dash board. couple of punches on the side of dash made this go away for some time but returned. Need to make a trip to dealers as its only 12 months old with 6000 miles. :dull:

if its the dash on the passenger side, I had the same problem, I cured it by opening the door, removing the plastic snap in end panel and you will see a mounting point where the dash is fastened to the metal work, remove this then cover it with copaslip copper grease and screw it back in.......end of squeak for me :thumbup: worth a try as its a fee fix if you have some copper grease, at worst a couple of pounds for a tube

Ahh happy days, this worked for me too! The noise was driving me to insanity :wonder:

Anyway I didn't have copper grease so normal grease had to suffice. I injected some grease into the highest mounting point so it got between the plastic & metal surfaces. Job done. :rofl: I can't quite believe how easy it was!

Thanks The Skud for the advice. You the man :thumbup:

Well the deeler cure hadnt worked so i tried what was suggested on here and its worked! (so far anyway) as people have been saying its been driving me to insanity the bloody noise like two pieces of polystyrine rubbing up against each other! so fingers x'd its done now.

Tis a bit of a worry to me though that its been in six times now for the same thing and nothing has sorted it... but 5 mins and a pot of £2 grease and its sorted (once again i hope!) even if it is a bit of a bodge fix.

Now all i need to do is get the seat sorted out that the dealers damaged while it was with them and see if they will re-imburse me for the tank of petrol they used while they had it (went in with at least 30 litres of fuel on board, came back with 10 miles left on the range!)

Edited by div

I've had a squeak from the passenger side for 4 years - have tried looked at all sorts of things: glovebox door; passenger door; vent between door and dashboard etc.

In the end whilst driving I had someone press and hold the passenger side air vent surround - low and behold the squeaking stopped. I haven't fixed it yet, but think it could just be a wedge of card or sealant that is required to stop it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I also had a dash squeek from the passenger side - right at the bit where the dash meets the cover that goes up the inside of the A-pillar.

I took the A-pillar cover off and I found a very small bit of metal - almost like a bit of weld - that MIGHT have been the cause, I snipped it off with pliers.It kind-of looked like the robots or the workers had welded a joint but then had kept going for a few extra mm leaving an 'overhang' of weld.

At the same time though I also pulled the cover off the side of the dash - the bit you can't see when the door is shut. I had a good poke/pull/prod around in there and couldn't see anything obvious, but there was a white sticky label that was wrapped around part of the loom, I pulled this off completely then when I put the bits all back together the squeek seems to have gone.

Might have been the label, might have been the wee bit of metal behind the a-pillar cover, more likely it was a combination of pushing and pulling things apart that has 'cured' it.

Thought I would bring this thread back, as I now have a HUGE rattle coming from the passenger side dash. It is annoying me so much that I have resorted to searching Autotrader for a replacement. I have upgraded the stereo equipment in the car, but I can hear this rattle even with the stereo turned up.

I don't have time during the week to be poking and prodding the dash, it's dark by the time I get home from work at night, it's too cold at the weekend and I can't be bothered with all the hassle of taking the car into the dealers so I would REALLY appreciate any advice/experience from folks who have had similar troubles.