Tesco momentum 99 Ron

:thumbup:

I know they say supermarket fuel is rubbish but this stuff makes my 06 plate VRS so much nicer to drive, it feels noticeably torquier with much more zing in the drive and i reckon about 10% more miles to a tank 340 versus 305ish on regular unleaded. Coming after a tank of standard tesco 95 ive really noticed the difference and swear it even performs better than shell super unleaded (98 ron?).

Highly reccommend this stuff on a pre-fl VRS.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use this too. When we set up my car for Revo stage 2 last week, we were able to set it to Performance Mode 3 which I think is for 102 Ron fuel. Car ran great (apart from the clutch), with virtually zero timing pull. Revo recommend Sell V-power, but my mechanic advised me to keep using the momentum as it was clearly working a treat.

funny mines didnt like tesco's 99 stuff hesitated at corners and roundabouts been using v-power ever since my points are coming on great on my card lol.

Mine worked great at first on momentum but started to lose mpg after a while (I used it on every refill). There are different additives I guess, some that raise the octane level (e.g. toluene in spitfire fuel) and others that act as detergent or to decoke etc. I suspect, on a completely uninformed basis, that Tesco raise the octane level in the cheapest possible way because their offer is that way inclined - it is a pure price-play.

funny mines didnt like tesco's 99 stuff hesitated at corners and roundabouts been using v-power ever since my points are coming on great on my card lol.

Been using Tesco 95 from new to 4500 miles, and decided to try 99, two tanks latter and I now have hesitation off corners and worse MPG, thought something was going wrong with the motor.

Back to 95 till I can afford a re-map, extra power will be nice but looking more for the smother delivery every one goes on about, throttle feels like it's connected by elastic bands at the moment.

Tesco fuel is a mix of high grade fuel and bunker fuel and asdas use bunker fuel (bottom of barrel fuel). hope this clears things up a bit.

What the... were did you hear that? lmao, there is no "bottom of the barrel" fuel i live next to Scotland's refinery i practically see it get made i have a lot of friends and clients who work at the refinery and can state my life on that being false.

Each fuel seller (Shell, BP, Tesco, Asda, Esso etc etc) fill from here its up to each fuel company to add there own chemicals to make it what it is V-Power, BP Ultimate etc, Asda add nothing all fuel has a certain standard to meet it's quite highly governed.

Been using Tesco 95 from new to 4500 miles, and decided to try 99, two tanks latter and I now have hesitation off corners and worse MPG, thought something was going wrong with the motor.

Back to 95 till I can afford a re-map, extra power will be nice but looking more for the smother delivery every one goes on about, throttle feels like it's connected by elastic bands at the moment.

glad i'm not the only one to think that lol really not a 99 tesco fan, Shell for me and the drivers club points help at the end of the month.

I have been using it and I have noticed a difference, my engine deffo runs smoother and quieter compared to the normal 95 Ron stuff. I don't suffer any hesitation at all and will keep using it, my car is a Vrs TSi.

Grizzle.

I'm up at the other end, CrudenBay, sending the black stuff to Kinneil.

Aye cheers.... the noise right now at the place is unreal! lol, pass it everyday taking the dog for a walk in Bo'ness its a big place.

From what I understand the Tesco 99ron uses extra bio fuel to increase the octane plus other additives where as Shell refines and just uses additives. The bio fuel may be why the engine hesitates?

My 56 plate vRS seems to like it, although I've only used Tesco 99 since buying the car 10 months ago (there aren't any Shell petrol stations nearby). It certainly seems to give good mpg, I got 39 mpg on a 100 mile trip to Brighton on Sunday with the climate set to low all the way and fully loaded up with my wife, 2 year old son and various paraphernalia you need for a night away with a little one. That was sticking to 70 on the motorway and putting my foot down occasionally on the other roads. The car also feels tourquey and responsive with no flat spots or hesitation.

I know it's not a Skoda, but my BMW M3 (1995 E36 shape convertible) has started to run better since switching from Total Super to Tesco 99. The trottle response has become much cripser and it seems faster to pick up from low revs and revs more freely.

I find Tesco 99 better than their 95 but only because I find their 95 so farkin awful. Car hates it.

I don't find any difference between Shell 95 and Tesco 99. I find v power slightly better but not worth the extra.

I'm stuck with Tesco so I use their 99 but switch to Shell whenever possible.

mines remapped, designed to run on the 99 stuff apparently. I put it in as with the usual ron 97's/v-power/bp ultimate etc and I cant tell the difference, I can however tell if i put 95 back in...thats garbage :(

I use V-Power.

Used Tesco 99 for a few months on my last vRS and it was good but the car felt better (and performed better on the Dyno by 2bhp :rofl: ) on V-Power than Tesco 99.

I ran Tesco 99 for about 4 months but last month I was visiting family near Henley-on-Thames and their Tesco didn't sell fuel so had to fill up with Esso 95. Driving the 90 miles home I couldn't make out any difference so have since gone back to using Tesco 95.

My handbook does say that using a higher grade fuel than 95 wont make any difference. My engine is a 1.8TSI and has been remapped by Shark.

What the... were did you hear that? lmao, there is no "bottom of the barrel" fuel i live next to Scotland's refinery i practically see it get made i have a lot of friends and clients who work at the refinery and can state my life on that being false.

Each fuel seller (Shell, BP, Tesco, Asda, Esso etc etc) fill from here its up to each fuel company to add there own chemicals to make it what it is V-Power, BP Ultimate etc, Asda add nothing all fuel has a certain standard to meet it's quite highly governed.

glad i'm not the only one to think that lol really not a 99 tesco fan, Shell for me and the drivers club points help at the end of the month.

Glad to hear someone talking some sense and with a bit of info to back it up.

Ive said it before,' fuels are highly regulated materials and have to pass stringent legal testing. there isnt any 'B' grade

fuels or bottom of barrel stuff. The 95 Ron stuff is just that 95 ron, some companies just add additives to make it 'special'. The higher grade fuels are slightly different as there is a slight array of octane values and more additives, however anyone who thinks supermarket fuel is market trader stuff hasnt researched enough.

I use Momentum 99 on a shark stage 1 TSI, and it goes like a bullet, and at £1.34 / litre, bargain

I ran my vRS exclusively on V-Power from new. Changed to Momentum about 1200 miles ago and haven't noticed any real change either way. Interesting claims about the way the octane rating is achieved though.

Glad to hear someone talking some sense and with a bit of info to back it up.

Ive said it before,' fuels are highly regulated materials and have to pass stringent legal testing. there isnt any 'B' grade

fuels or bottom of barrel stuff. The 95 Ron stuff is just that 95 ron, some companies just add additives to make it 'special'. The higher grade fuels are slightly different as there is a slight array of octane values and more additives, however anyone who thinks supermarket fuel is market trader stuff hasnt researched enough.

I use Momentum 99 on a shark stage 1 TSI, and it goes like a bullet, and at £1.34 / litre, bargain

Id hardly call the price of any fuel a bargain tbh.