Your Yeti pet hate?

Well there is bound to be something that irks you?

Mine are:

1. The auto wipers not realising it is raining when you get in the car and start it (in the rain)! The sensor is PERMANENTLY on to be able to close the windows and sunroof but does it know it is raining when you get in the car whilst it is raining???! NO. I once parked the car in the rain with the wipers halfway up the windscreen. Came back started the car and unlike any other car known to man that will then take the wipers to the park position, the Yeti's wipers just sat there halfway up the windscreen!!!!!! Now you have to fiddle with the stalk first to get them to park. Daft. Just daft. Furthermore the rear wiper also NEVER wipes when you select reverse. Yet it DOES go back down if it had been parked halfway up the screen when you switched the car off! Thus doing the total opposite of what the front ones do! Doh.
  2. The cruise control stalk. I hate it with a passion once it is in operation. Setting it is fine, adjusting the speed with it is fine, but to cancel it whilst driving you have to use the toggle on TOP!!!! Eh?! And then to resume again you use a totally different type of switch on the SIDE... so for the two most used functions whilst driving and using the cruise control you have to go top, side, top, side, top, side with two totally different types of buttons....... Grrr. An ergonomic nightmare. And to top it all the toggle on the top makes a noise and ticks ever so slightly when you go from On to Cancel. On an Audi/BMW/Merc you get a nice seperate stalk with four way adjustment. Forward = resume, backwards = cancel and up and down = speed. Even a child can understand it and it makes logical sense.

EDIT! Aha!!! My pet hate number one has a reason! See this thread: http://briskoda.net/...ost__p__2565822

+1

I hate automatic wipers. They go when not needed, carry on when the windscreen is smeary, wipe in bad conditiosn when that could completely stop vision at all at a dangerous moment, and then won't start at all when the windscreen is covered in water or a fine mist. I would much prefer a simple timer delay. I find myself waiting for the next wipe, can I wait any longer before doing a manula wipe!

I often find I am changing tracks on the audio rather than adjusting the cruise control as the biuttons were on the wheel in my Superb, a much more intuitive system.

I don't have automatic wipers, thankfully as they would irritate me.

I don't like the the central display, showing journey distance, consumption etc. You can reduce what is on there but you can not turn it off completely. I find it a distraction and would like the option to see it when required but turn it off when not.

BIG +1 on the wipers.

The rear wiper sometimes does a wipe of its own, on a dry screen ,for no reason.I then try and switch it off ,but it's already off ,so it wipes on the dry screen again....:@

• Haha 1

Have no issues with the auto-wipers myself; thought I might by the number of negative comments but there fine. Think it depends how you use them, I generally turn them off when it stops raining like conventional wipers.

Pate hates with the Yeti is a difficult one, in my view there as good as it gets in terms of design and functionality as an all season family transport. If I was to pick fault then 17" alloys of any design and intermittent creaks and squeaks from the cabin. Both my Yeti's have suffered from it in one way or another, the previous one could be particularly vocal at times. Think it's down to modern car design and materials used or my damaged hearing being to sensitive to certain frequency's :wonder:

TP

Have no issues with the auto-wipers myself; thought I might by the number of negative comments but there fine. Think it depends how you use them, I generally turn them off when it stops raining like conventional wipers.

Exactly. :thumbup:

It's because people are too lazy to switch them off that they have the failsafe system once the ignition is off. Otherwise they'd switch on as soon as the car entered a car wash... and you'd be minus two wipers.

And I can't park a car with the wipers half way up the screen because it's raining. It drives me nuts, so I park the wipers first. :giggle:

Only one: The location of the inside rear view mírror.

Don't have auto wipers, but the manual ones do have some automation: slows down when stopped and speeds up as you drive away.

no problem with the cruise control stalk - and do not use it very often.

I love the auto wipers. I have no issues with how they work when on and find them doing just what I want before I want it done as long as you are not totally ignorant of how the sensitivity toggle works on the stalk. I have to move this from time to time to get it to do what I want, but once in the correct setting for the circumstances they work a treat. I ONLY have issue with them being dormant when I get in the car and it is obviously raining.

I don't like the the central display, showing journey distance, consumption etc. You can reduce what is on there but you can not turn it off completely. I find it a distraction and would like the option to see it when required but turn it off when not.

My Audi had a button under the righthand stalk which if you pressed briefly dismissed warning messages - like the 2 hour behind the wheel without break warning. Yet if you held it for two seconds it switched off the whole central display. I wonder if there is a VCDS setting to get this on a Yeti too? Does not bother me TBH but might help you.

Well I've sat here for a while, scratching my head, trying to think of something but I'm struggling.

My only gripe with my yeti is that when I placed the order, all the info in brochures and rom the sales staff etc stated the SE would have projector type halogen headlights with DE module (whatever that is?)

When I collected it I discovered the headlights were standard halogen.

AFAIK all other Skoda models, regardless of model or spec, have the projector lights so why not the yeti?

And what really gets my goat is that over a year later the brochure still says every model has the projector lamps! Go figure?

It's still a bloody good car though and I'm very happy.

Well I've sat here for a while, scratching my head, trying to think of something but I'm struggling.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE my Yeti. And nothing comes close to its unique set of attributes. But even perfection can have some rough edges (for some) in places! :giggle:

I think it won't take long before the boot gets mentioned here that it is too small for some when you have a spare wheel... :giggle:

What gets me is how the drivers side window gets covered in muck when using the washers/wipers on dirty roads. It got so bad at times last winter that the wing mirror was unusable. I took to carrying a damp sponge in the car for a while.

My wife thinks the boot is to small, but she forgets that the kids don't come on holiday with us anymore.

Andy

What gets me is how the drivers side window gets covered in muck when using the washers/wipers on dirty roads. It got so bad at times last winter that the wing mirror was unusable. I took to carrying a damp sponge in the car for a while.

Andy

+1

The A-pillars should have gutters on the window edge side like every Mercedes have had since the 1970s to stop the soapy water going over the side.........

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE my Yeti. And nothing comes close to its unique set of attributes. But even perfection can have some rough edges (for some) in places! :giggle:

I think it won't take long before the boot gets mentioned here that it is too small for some when you have a spare wheel... :giggle:

I thought about the boot as I would like it to be a bit deeper, 15-20cm is all I ask, but I took that to be a major design change whereas the thread is more of a minor irritation one. Also I knew the size of the boot before I got the car so it was my choice to live with it being that size. Pet hates are more of a thing that you don't realise until you have the car for a spell. That is my reading anyway but if it really bugs someone then clearly they can rant away.

I'd also like to be able to turn off the central display (as I could on a previous Audi A4 and VW Passat). Just a minor, but consistent, irritant. It's the thing telling me to change gear that I dislike most. The stowage bins at the side of the boot are an awkward size too, not quite wide enough for two bottles (spare oil and washer fluid for example) but just one in there rattles and moves around. Not quite enough vertical space, either, for a water bottle for my dog.

As I sit high, the rear view mirror is a minor irritation.

I think the wipers will work eventually if stopped when raining in auto, but does take some time.....but I couldn't wait for them, earlier today......a pain I agree.

water entering the car when it is raining and you open the door......

But overall, this is the best car I have ever lived with, and the most comfortable, and for a basically front wheel drive car, with occasional rear added in as well (more today in the wet emoticon-0136-giggle.gif) it drives almost as well as my old 530d touring.

It is of course made better by the fact of the remap and the flappy paddle MFSW, which should be an option.

Mike

PS. Back out for a gentle drive across Mitcham Common in the rain now.....(using the roads emoticon-0140-rofl.gif)

Pet hates are more of a thing that you don't realise until you have the car for a spell. That is my reading anyway but if it really bugs someone then clearly they can rant away.

Ahem... I'll go with that. The boot is (as you say) something we knew about when we bought. So keep 'em coming along the lines of what EdmundBlackadder just siad above. :thumbup:

The cruise control stalk. I hate it with a passion once it is in operation. Setting it is fine, adjusting the speed with it is fine, but to cancel it whilst driving you have to use the toggle on TOP!!!! Eh?! And then to resume again you use a totally different type of switch on the SIDE... so for the two most used functions whilst driving and using the cruise control you have to go top, side, top, side, top, side with two totally different types of buttons....... Grrr. An ergonomic nightmare. And to top it all the toggle on the top makes a noise and ticks ever so slightly when you go from On to Cancel. On an Audi/BMW/Merc you get a nice seperate stalk with four way adjustment. Forward = resume, backwards = cancel and up and down = speed. Even a child can understand it and it makes logical sense.

My experience is that when you have the cruise control ON, to disable it, all you have to do is to step on the gas or brake pedal. To resume, I press the side button. I mean, you have to set it on again, what I find logical, but IMO there is no problem with the cruise control, anyways, this is my first car with such a device.

My experience is that when you have the cruise control ON, to disable it, all you have to do is to step on the gas or brake pedal. To resume, I press the side button. I mean, you have to set it on again, what I find logical, but IMO there is no problem with the cruise control, anyways, this is my first car with such a device.

The biggest cause of tailbacks and sudden bunching up of traffic on a motorway is by using brakes when you shouldn't. Using the brakes - or more importantly letting the brake lights come on - should be avoided at all costs on a motorway. So no I never use the brakes to deactivate the cruise control. And by stepping on the gas all you will do is accelerate past the set speed point. It only disengadges the cruise control of you really floor it (like when overtaking or in an emergency situation) which again is not what you want when you are cruising and trying to maintain a set speed.

But that's a fact. Not a pet hate. (to me)

It's a fact of the vehicle that you knew when you ordered.

I never understand people criticising the boot when the facts/figures/dimensions were there before purchase.

Pet hates are little silly things that were not expected or not noticed.

Like the two chrome ringed dash pods not curving slightly in towards each other, so you can only see a small inner part of each one with only one eye if you don't move your head.

As already noted...rainwater coming in when opening a door or window (no gutter - form over function). Plus the central arm rest which I have to open every time I drive in order to use the handbrake. The interior mirror is just OK (I sit high) as I have the auto function which raises it. The rear hatch needs a good slam to close fully (dealer says it's normal). The rear seats in combination with the spare wheel means no flat loading area. (I didn't actually realise this at the time of ordering as the showroom car had no spare....but it's not a terrible drawback) The absence of folding door mirrors (cause of some heated and slightly acrimonious comment from some - but I'd like to have them...do realise they're an option now).

I still don't like getting 33 mpg whilst driving it like a nun. (Has anyone actually driven with a nun??) :D

The only thing that might prompt a change is people who let their offspring open their battered car doors on to mine and dent it....and then vehemently deny any knowledge of it. (Happened again a few days ago whilst I was in it) :doh: :doh: I get so irritated by people who have no respect for other peoples belongings that I could possibly get something used and cheaper and stop worrying about what anyone does to it. How many times do you see people scraping / reversing in to etc. parked cars?? I like to keep my things looking nice and there are those who seem not to allow me to have nice things without damaging them.

But still happy with it. If that weren't the case I'd get shot of it. And the OP did ask what we didn't like... :)

Edited by oldstan

If you depress the clutch this also deactivates cruise control.

:giggle: I have two clutches but I can't depress either to do what you describe, since I have a DSG!

And honestly.......... to brake, depress the clutch, etc, etc just because of this daft stalk!? It might be totally and utterly unergonomic but it is still easier to just flick the little toggle than do all these other things! :giggle: And alas also something I'll just have to live with and curse every single time I need to switch the cruise off. And in the UK it is VERY often.