Your Yeti pet hate?

How about that message we all get when we turn off the ignition about check secure locking? Definitely a pet hate......emoticon-0149-no.gif

+ 1 :thumbdown: plus I don't really understand it. :(

Mind you it must be a Skoda thing as it came up on the Octavia I borrowed during the week.

Pet Hate - ECU cuts the engine power when I decide I want to 'left foot brake' for more than a few milli-seconds. :'(

I seem to remember some joke about a Yorkshireman walking home from the pub on a wet and windy night and taking a shortcut across the cow field. His cap blew off and he tried on half a dozen others before he found his own again.

I met a dyslexic Yorkshireman today.

He was wearing a cat flap.

Don't hate anything much about Jeeves, save for withdrawl of sunroof option when I ordered and its re-instatement just before delivery. BUT the exterior mirror controls are rubbish - why didn't Skoda look at e.g. the simple way Honda or Toyota does it? The handbrake's position's awkward, if like me you're a bit on the short side & need the seat a bit nearer the steering wheel than some. AND why on earth should I have to find someone with a VCDS or whatever to achieve the simple task of getting the MFD to display MPH? BUT most of all, why does the tailgate get filthy even when you drive around on a dry day? Still expecting to change in due course for another, as I love it & there's nothing else on the market I like half as much!

For a pretty trivial niggle - but slightly annoying nonetheless - could I nominate the fact that the sculpting of the front headlining has not been adjusted for right-hand drive (or for left-handed drivers elsewhere in Europe).

What am I on about? It's the operation of the driver's sun visor! I think that most right-handed drivers will reach up with their right hand to pull down the visor.. Sorry - you're out of luck - the cutaway in the headlining that allows you to get your fingers behind the visor is on the central side of the visor, which isn't too easy to reach with your right hand in RHD cars, but not a problem for right-handers in LHD ones.

My pet hate are the cruise controls. emoticon-0120-doh.gif

On my old Honda the controls were on the steering wheel bars and every time you 'clicked' down one 'notch' you dropped speed by 1mph (so 5 clicks would equal 5mph) and so on

I find the Skoda (or VW) method of cruise control awkward and limiting......................when I'm driving I can't even see the bloody stalk emoticon-0120-doh.gif and have to crane my buck to see what I'm clicking.

The Bolero display is wasted too and needs the time on display on ALL screens for passenger use. Software update wanted please Skoda.

Electric window controls are in a silly position for the passengers and the buttons need to be placed where you naturally rest your hands at for ease of use.

Dedicated headlamp washer button and not 'every five uses' of the windscreen washes, annoying if you have the sunroof open at the time of the wash emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Use of LED bulbs for brake, number plate illumination, turn and brake indicators and interior lights at the back.

What does everyone else think??

If these have already been mentioned then sorry, I may have missed them.

For a pretty trivial niggle - but slightly annoying nonetheless - could I nominate the fact that the sculpting of the front headlining has not been adjusted for right-hand drive (or for left-handed drivers elsewhere in Europe).

What am I on about? It's the operation of the driver's sun visor! I think that most right-handed drivers will reach up with their right hand to pull down the visor.. Sorry - you're out of luck - the cutaway in the headlining that allows you to get your fingers behind the visor is on the central side of the visor, which isn't too easy to reach with your right hand in RHD cars, but not a problem for right-handers in LHD ones.

Maybe that is why so many in the UK prefer the DSG? Most are right handed, but need to change manual gears with their left. :giggle:

Edited by Agerbundsen

Maybe that is why so many in the UK prefer the DSG? Most are right handed, but need to change manual gears with their left.

Hmm, I think if you drive in the UK you just have to have learnt the skill of changing gear left-handed. After 10, 20, 40, whatever years of driving it just becomes second nature. If you can't acquire this skill then you probably just don't drive - in the past autos were pretty rare/expensive/awful (as a sweeping generalisation of course). But actually the Yeti is the first vehicle I can recall driving where the sun visor folds so tight against the headlining that it's tricky to get your fingers behind, other than at the point where the lining is sculpted away.

Llanigraham

Today, 19:16

Doesn't happen on mine!! (lock thing, that is)

Mine neither.

Nor does mine...

Hmm, I think if you drive in the UK you just have to have learnt the skill of changing gear left-handed. After 10, 20, 40, whatever years of driving it just becomes second nature. If you can't acquire this skill then you probably just don't drive - in the past autos were pretty rare/expensive/awful (as a sweeping generalisation of course). But actually the Yeti is the first vehicle I can recall driving where the sun visor folds so tight against the headlining that it's tricky to get your fingers behind, other than at the point where the lining is sculpted away.

Emoticon added for clarification.

My first car was in the UK - 1956 Morris Oxford - No problems changing gears on the three speed steering column lever. Not really anytime since in other more mor´dern set-ups.

The sunshades in the Yeti are a little tight to be fair. On the LH drive I still prefer to use the left hand - particularly if swinging the shade out to the side window in one motion.

100% agree with you here. Irritates me too I have to say.

As most have pointed out, there will always be minor niggles - or, to look at it another way, features that you enjoyed on a previous car that you wish could be available on all cars. Maybe one day, it will be possible to spec a car from a universal list of options!

Specific to the Yeti, the most obvious design problem to me is the armrest/central console - it does make seat-folding difficult (in the Elegance trim, at least) and - as with previous VWs - my wife, with shorter arms than mine, finds it difficult to get a comfortable angle vis-a-vis the armrest/console and drivers' seat position, to operate the handbrake.

The other annoyance is - again in common with many if not most cars - the shape of the rear bumper, so that mud, muck - and even clean rinsing water that still leaves a mark even after washing the car - gathers on the area concealed by the closed hatch.

Oh yes, as others have said in the past - it is ridiculous not to have some sort of cover that runs across the back of the rear seats so that the rear armrest is protected from knocks from items in the boot when folded up, and so that there is no gap through to the boot when it is folded down.

Still very pleased with the SM overall, though!

Oh yes, as others have said in the past - it is ridiculous not to have some sort of cover that runs across the back of the rear seats so that the rear armrest is protected from knocks from items in the boot when folded up, and so that there is no gap through to the boot when it is folded down.

I agree that there should be some protection - the Gobi sand looks weird when viewed from the boot.

The problem is with the unique rear varioflex seats. They can be removed and they slide (apart from the middle one). I can't see how they can design something, off the top of my head, that could deal with it properly. I only have the 2 outer seats in the rear of my car for many reasons. So I have a gap between the seats and a gap between the side of the seat and the side of the car on both sides. How would they deal with that as well? I've never had a problem with shopping or anything coming through the gap yet.

The Roomster must be the same.

So, which would you rather have.....the varioflex seats, or the rear seats from an Octavia? I for one think the varioflex seats are very useful and one of the main USP's of the Yeti over its competitors - you can use them as a seat out side of the car!

I think the only way to overcome your pet hate is a complete redesign of the middle seat, with no cup holders and a 'traditional' arm rest, but that probably wouldn't work on the middle seat due to its size.

My 2p worth.

How about that message we all get when we turn off the ignition about check secure locking? Definitely a pet hate......emoticon-0149-no.gif

Sounds like you have an option ticked or unticked in the computer/maxidot or a fault.

I'd get it scanned by someone with VCDS

If I had to nominate something, it would be the sun visor.

Having said that, I've become used to it.

otherwise nothing stands out as being worse than in any other car I've owned.

John

I agree that there should be some protection - the Gobi sand looks weird when viewed from the boot.

The problem is with the unique rear varioflex seats. They can be removed and they slide (apart from the middle one). I can't see how they can design something, off the top of my head, that could deal with it properly. I only have the 2 outer seats in the rear of my car for many reasons. So I have a gap between the seats and a gap between the side of the seat and the side of the car on both sides. How would they deal with that as well? I've never had a problem with shopping or anything coming through the gap yet.

The Roomster must be the same.

So, which would you rather have.....the varioflex seats, or the rear seats from an Octavia? I for one think the varioflex seats are very useful and one of the main USP's of the Yeti over its competitors - you can use them as a seat out side of the car!

I think the only way to overcome your pet hate is a complete redesign of the middle seat, with no cup holders and a 'traditional' arm rest, but that probably wouldn't work on the middle seat due to its size.

My 2p worth.

I agree that I wouldn't want to be without the varioflex seats but I'm sure there ought to be a design solution- even something as simple as a retractable curtain that could come out of the back of the parcel shelf and velcro to the boot floor? I know SMOC members have come up with something similar on a d-i-y basis. Or 'wings' on the outer seats that could be fastened across gaps and/or the middle? I'm not a designer/inventor by nature but there must be a way!

Has to be the sun visors for me I think they are too small, or is it me who's too short?

I've just about trained myself, after nine months of ownership, to use my left hand to lower the visor.

Overall there's not a great deal to complain about, it's a great car.

My biggest concern is the Swing radio default volume setting at startup. When driving, I often reduce the listening volume to zero, because I love the silence. I can not switch off the radio entirely, because I want to hear the traffic announcements. Returning to the car after a stop, I want the volume to return to where I left it, at zero.

Not so. The Skoda engineers have decided that I must listen, so the volume is reset to a default value of 5. So at every startup I have to lower the volume, again, and again http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

When I have selected a certain volume, why on earth should the radio change that? The traffic announcement has its own volume setting - I can hear them just like I want to.

I also resent the loud bing-bong of the bluetooth handsfree every time I enter or leave the car with the phone in my pocket. It is sufficient with the 10 s PHONE display on the radio unit - noices are a nuisance.

Has to be the sun visors for me I think they are too small, or is it me who's too short?

I've just about trained myself, after nine months of ownership, to use my left hand to lower the visor.

Overall there's not a great deal to complain about, it's a great car.

I don't see what all the fuss is about on sun visors, IMHO there is nowt wrong with them.

They are the perfect length, when folded down the lower edge is in line with the lower edge of the interior mirror; logical.

As to which hand is used to flip it down. My right had stays on the steering wheel all the time and it is my left hand that moves to operate the indicators, gearshift, radio controls etc. so easy as pi for my left hand to reach up and flip the sun visor down. Again; logical, or ........

.............in Skoda parlance ... Simply Clever.

My biggest concern is the Swing radio default volume setting at startup. When driving, I often reduce the listening volume to zero, because I love the silence. I can not switch off the radio entirely, because I want to hear the traffic announcements. Returning to the car after a stop, I want the volume to return to where I left it, at zero.

Not so. The Skoda engineers have decided that I must listen, so the volume is reset to a default value of 5. So at every startup I have to lower the volume, again, and again http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

When I have selected a certain volume, why on earth should the radio change that? The traffic announcement has its own volume setting - I can hear them just like I want to.

I also resent the loud bing-bong of the bluetooth handsfree every time I enter or leave the car with the phone in my pocket. It is sufficient with the 10 s PHONE display on the radio unit - noices are a nuisance.

Similar issue with the built-in Columbus satnav: you cannot have the satnav on and disable other sound sources, so if you want peace and quiet you have to turn the volume on the radio/CD/media input down to zero every time. NOT simply clever!

Not so. The Skoda engineers have decided that I must listen, so the volume is reset to a default value of 5. So at every startup I have to lower the volume, again, and again http://ww1.briskoda....01-sadsmile.gif

That is very annoying. At least on the Bolero you can also set the start up volume seperately from the traffic volume...

The Bluetooth bong is a big annoyance but can be disabled permanently with a VCDS computer.