Your Yeti pet hate?

Fair one!

Just thought of my hate so far, the crappy electric mirror knob. How did that pass the quality test! mind you for the price difference against a VW, I can cope!

• Like 1

:giggle: I have two clutches but I can't depress either to do what you describe, since I have a DSG!

And honestly.......... to brake, depress the clutch, etc, etc just because of this daft stalk!? It might be totally and utterly unergonomic but it is still easier to just flick the little toggle than do all these other things! :giggle: And alas also something I'll just have to live with and curse every single time I need to switch the cruise off. And in the UK it is VERY often.

I find I am a little dangerous when I use cruise control so I rarely use it unless I am in one of those 50mph traffic cone stretches of motorway. My problem....I set the cruise and try to avoid touching it so I would get closer to the car in front than I should hoping they will accelerate in time with me. I would also overtake at the cruise speed rather than adjust to the traffic also looking to overtake. I find it a bit hypnotic, concentrating on that rather than actually driving, and so rather annoy all around me and potentially cause an accident I just had to stop using it. I am amazed you can use it in your neck of the woods. I would have thought the roads would be too busy to have the cruise control on for any period of time.

Fair one!

Just thought of my hate so far, the crappy electric mirror knob. How did that pass the quality test! mind you for the price difference against a VW, I can cope!

AH yes you reminded me:

Johann's pet hate number 3:

3. Why is there no timer switch for the heated mirrors?! You turn this awful electric mirror knob (as john96 just rightly called it) and then the mirrors stay on and warm FOREVER! Doh.

I am amazed you can use it in your neck of the woods. I would have thought the roads would be too busy to have the cruise control on for any period of time.

:giggle: Oh I do manage to escape the confines of the M25 from time to time and use the cruise control. Within the M25 there is no point to be honest.

And just to make it clear I love cruise control par se as much as the auto wipers, it is just the ergonomic disaster that is the stalk I dispise.

Fair one!

Agree with that and the lack of timer, but it appears to be the same one as the Golf's.

AH yes you reminded me:

Johann's pet hate number 3:

3. Why is there no timer switch for the heated mirrors?! You turn this awful electric mirror knob (as john96 just rightly called it) and then the mirrors stay on and warm FOREVER! Doh.

:giggle: Oh I do manage to escape the confines of the M25 from time to time and use the cruise control. Within the M25 there is no point to be honest.

And just to make it clear I love cruise control par se as much as the auto wipers, it is just the ergonomic disaster that is the stalk I dispise.

just keep it in the 'L' position.....you have the lecky seat option....the left nearside mirror then dips when reversing.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

just keep it in the 'L' position.....you have the lecky seat option....the left nearside mirror then dips when reversing.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I do. It is always in the L position but that means it does not heat the mirrors! When I do move it I forget about it and days and days later (when I reverse for the first time and the passenger mirror does not drop) I discover my mirrors are still on. Really annoying.

Humm?

Difficult one, but...............

The fact there is either no timer or a warning light for the mirror heaters.

17" wheels; I'd prefer 16's but can live with it.

Not much really!

And a point to other people's.

The cruise control system is a fairly common system, across the VAG range and even with Vauxhall/Opel. I suspect it is a generic Hella system. It does take a little "practice" to use it, but once your are used to it I find it quite simple.

Humm?

Difficult one, but...............

The fact there is either no timer or a warning light for the mirror heaters.

17" wheels; I'd prefer 16's but can live with it.

Not much really!

And a point to other people's.

The cruise control system is a fairly common system, across the VAG range and even with Vauxhall/Opel. I suspect it is a generic Hella system. It does take a little "practice" to use it, but once your are used to it I find it quite simple.

I personally have no problem with the cruse control either, having come from a similarly equipped Octavia. I can operate it by feel, whereas I could never operate the BMW one on my 5 series cars by feel, which is dangerous.

I agree about the 17" wheels, but as mentioned above, that is a 'fact' which I knew about and complained about before ordering....

A timer/light on the door mirrors would be a sensible thing to have.

Rainwater drips into onto the front seats when doors opened.

+1 :thumbup: At least they're leather seats but still...

I don't have any problem with the cruise control, but then this is the first car I have owned that has the feature. The only times I've had cars with it before were rented cars in the US and IIRC they all had the cruise controls on the steering wheel.

At a pinch:-

The electric window doesn't continue to auto close when the ignition is turned off.

This is different behaviour to the Passat and Touran so is more something to get used to.

Auto wipers are a bit hit and miss from time to time.

Not much really is it :)

Aerodynamics

emoticon-0148-yes.gif Agreed, but we did know about that before we bought our cars.......another one for the 'fact' list.

But the aerodynamics are what makes the Yeti stand out in a crowd of similar looking jelly moulds. All started with the original Ford Sierra=Audi Q3=Puke=cashcow=sportage=A2(emoticon-0140-rofl.gif)

Haven't got one, but if I did I would hate the name.

A car of this type and quality demands a more respectful form of identity to make it stand out above the rest.

Every time I hear the name I think of Tonka Toys and all it implies.

The Yeti or Abominable Snowman is an Ape-like cryptid said to inhabit the Himalayan region of Nepal,India and Tibet.

What would you call this car if you had been given the choice??

How about -- "COMMANDO"

Haven't got one, but if I did I would hate the name.

A car of this type and quality demands a more respectful form of identity to make it stand out above the rest.

Every time I hear the name I think of Tonka Toys and all it implies.

The Yeti or Abominable Snowman is an Ape-like cryptid said to inhabit the Himalayan region of Nepal,India and Tibet.

What would you call this car if you had been given the choice??

How about -- "COMMANDO"

Interesting... But I think it is a perfect name. Tonka toys are tough, the Yeti is a friendly creature that helps people in need, it lives outdoors in mountainous areas and can go where mere humans can't. All exactly what the Yeti car is meant to stand for. Commando, or Warrior, or Trooper and such like all sound like names that should be on something unfriendly like a Hummer or some bundu bashing car that is totally out of sync with the world around it.

So the name Yeti very specifically is like no other SUV name (bar the ludicrous Qashqai name) in that it is not something a testosterone filled man came up with during a paint ball session to put on the back of his ladder chassis double cab pickup. It certainly DOES stand out above the other names in my view.

The biggest cause of tailbacks and sudden bunching up of traffic on a motorway is by using brakes when you shouldn't. Using the brakes - or more importantly letting the brake lights come on - should be avoided at all costs on a motorway. So no I never use the brakes to deactivate the cruise control. And by stepping on the gas all you will do is accelerate past the set speed point. It only disengadges the cruise control of you really floor it (like when overtaking or in an emergency situation) which again is not what you want when you are cruising and trying to maintain a set speed.

There is a more subtle way of disengaging cruise. Dip the clutch.

You only need to press the pedal slightly and you can feel it disengage.

The only time you should need to use the brakes to deactivate cruise, is in an emergency.

Personally I find the buttons for cruise easy to use. Better than the older stalk as on our vRS where the resume button is a slider on the face of the stalk and bloody difficult to use without putting high beam on

I too, try to avoid braking in traffic on dual carriageways and motorways for the reason you say, Johann.

If everybody had adaptive cruise fitted and it was compulsory to use it on motorways, traffic flow would improve substantially.

There is a more subtle way of disengaging cruise. Dip the clutch.

Or use the cancel switch on top of the stalk. On the Yeti, the cruise control is a "one finger" operation. Set, Resume and Cancel are simply a finger tip apart so there is really no need to dip clutches or stab brakes.

Its just a matter of a finger movement - unless, of course, you are gripping the wheel so tightly that you do not have a finger to spare.:giggle:

As far as pet hates, the only thing that annoys me is the run off of rain water when the doors are opened. Most of it drips into the footwells.

Edited by Terfyn

Or use the cancel switch on top of the stalk. On the Yeti, the cruise control is a "one finger" operation. Set, Resume and Cancel are simply a finger tip apart so there is really no need to dip clutches or stab brakes.

Its just a matter of a finger movement - unless, of course, you are gripping the wheel so tightly that you do not have a finger to spare.:giggle:

I knew that.

That's normally what I do. One finger, that is. :giggle:

So the name Yeti ... is not something a testosterone filled man came up with during a paint ball session to put on the back of his ladder chassis double cab pickup.

Ah, looks like you had exactly the same idea as me when I read Ramonford's suggestion. It always makes me cringe when I see one of those on the street. You'd think the owners would have the decency to keep them hidden from public view, or at least cover up the name badge with something marginally less distasteful eg a "honk if you're feeling horny" sticker...

Points for improvement......

1) Poorly designed folding rear seats...that silly hooky thing and not folding completely flat.

2) Poor design skinny flat tyre in boot ..its not skinny enough to give better boot space.

3) Headlamp washers that decide when to operate on their own. In freezing iced up weather

damages retracting mechanism.

4) Box between front seats intrudes into rear centre footwell. Centre rear passenger has to ride a horse!!!

5) Constant dirt build up on rear boot lid.

6) Exterior plastic trim impossible to clean to showroom finish whatever you use to clean it.

7) No easily visible clock display.

8) Too many clever electronic functions that have a mind of their own and can't be switched off.

9) Diabolical user handbook (translated from the Chinese version)??

10)Complacent ill informed Skoda UK Customer Care...do they also cover Procter and Gamble as their main job! lots of

unavailable/mis-information. They certainly don't read this forum!!

11)Poor Skoda UK website.

12)Variable standard often ill informed Dealers.

13)Confusing product brochure full of in-accuracies.

14)Milky worm prone Skoda badges.

Edited by kibby

I find the cruise control OK but maybe that's because I'm used to it from my previous Octavia and haven't any experience of other makes. I can't comment on auto wipers as I don't have them.

My (minor) pet hates are:

1. I sometimes find when trying to cancel an indicator I instead put the opposite indicator on,

2. the heated mirror knob,

3. the manual,

4. (non-retracting) boot cover

5. when filling up with fuel, I'd like somewhere to hang the fuel cap, and

6. the mudflaps are too small.

I find the cruise control OK but maybe that's because I'm used to it from my previous Octavia and haven't any experience of other makes. I can't comment on auto wipers as I don't have them.

My (minor) pet hates are:

1. I sometimes find when trying to cancel an indicator I instead put the opposite indicator on,

2. the heated mirror knob,

3. the manual,

4. (non-retracting) boot cover

5. when filling up with fuel, I'd like somewhere to hang the fuel cap, and

6. the mudflaps are too small.

Re. #5 There are two cut-outs on the screw in cap that fit on the outer hinged cover to keep it 'parked' whilst filling up.

Edited by oldstan

Can the person responsible for removing my post explain why it was removed and not edited?????emoticon-0120-doh.gif

It was reported by someone for being and I quote from the back-room, "That is so far off topic it isn't true!!" - and it was removed by a member of the mod team.