Lupo TDi or vRS?

Hey all,

I’m currently doing about 70ish miles a day now going to work and back so my current car is costing a fair bit to run (Civic Type R GT), I’m using a tank/week for it and a tank costs roughly £65ish. The car’s getting 38-40mpg which is really good for the type of car it is, but I’m planning on buying a house with the Mrs and as you’s can guess costs need to be cut to save as much as we can.

This has led me to diesels – I use to own a Fabia vRS in the past (might be someone’s on here now? Black Magic 56 plate with leather interior and tints to the back? NC56 LWE) so I know how fun and frugal they can be. However, my questions are these: How much does it cost to fill the Fabias tank in todays money? And if anyone is doing roughly the same mileage as me (350ish miles a week) how many miles do you get from a tank?

I was also thinking about the 1.4TDi Lupo, supposedly 63mpg, weighs hardly anything and with a remap should be hitting 100bhp no? I don’t need the car to be superfast, but having the Type R means the SDi is out of the question as it still needs to have some oomph and character :)

So, can anyone help me? Is the vRS still as frugal as I remember? Or should I be opting for the Lupo?

As youre a previous owner of a MK1 vRS, you know what youre getting, so It might be worth driving a Lupo, and mentally doing a comparison to decide if you can live with the smaller Lupo for a 140 mile journey.

You prob know as well that if you do go back to the vRS, youre going to have to be careful how you drive it, as its soooo tempting to use the torque., I used to get 52mpg from my remapped vRS. with combination mway, a & b road journeys to work, ( 55 miles each way)

Happy hunting

Hey all,

I’m currently doing about 70ish miles a day now going to work and back so my current car is costing a fair bit to run (Civic Type R GT), I’m using a tank/week for it and a tank costs roughly £65ish. The car’s getting 38-40mpg which is really good for the type of car it is, but I’m planning on buying a house with the Mrs and as you’s can guess costs need to be cut to save as much as we can.

This has led me to diesels – I use to own a Fabia vRS in the past (might be someone’s on here now? Black Magic 56 plate with leather interior and tints to the back? NC56 LWE) so I know how fun and frugal they can be. However, my questions are these: How much does it cost to fill the Fabias tank in todays money? And if anyone is doing roughly the same mileage as me (350ish miles a week) how many miles do you get from a tank?

I was also thinking about the 1.4TDi Lupo, supposedly 63mpg, weighs hardly anything and with a remap should be hitting 100bhp no? I don’t need the car to be superfast, but having the Type R means the SDi is out of the question as it still needs to have some oomph and character :)

So, can anyone help me? Is the vRS still as frugal as I remember? Or should I be opting for the Lupo?

If you're after saving money, then I guess anything too new is out of the question. Lupo or Arosa or maybe Fabia PD100 or Ibiza PD100 or Polo. If you're looking at samall TDIs, maybe look at a late shape Fiesta.

J.

Have you thought about finding a good Leon or Toledo 110bhp TDi?

Toledo SE is loaded with goodies, climate control, electric windows all round, CD changer, huge boot, cruise control, even folding door mirrors, and the fuel computer on mine regularly shows over 60mpg on a run :thumbup:

I would consider an ibiza cupra TDI, much better standard than a Vrs, with better brakes, FMIC, Garratt turbo, better suspension and MPG to match

Maybe slightly more to buy but would give you much closer to type r straight line speed and 50 MPG

Cheers for this but the interior isn't as nice as the Lupo, I know essentially they're the same car though :-)

It's exactly the same apart from the centre heater vents and headlight switch?

arosadash.jpg

lupodash.jpg

Lupo dash looks much nicer to me.

Personally i'd just buy the lupo for the cheap run about, and 70mpg is a winner. If you brought a vrs wouldnt you just start playing around with it & maybe a little heavier right foot costing you more money?

That lupo pictured is a GTI, maybe this picture better reflects the similarities between the two

dash.JPG

Think i'd be going for a 1.4TDi Sport, seen one with red and black seated interior that looks nice :-) Not a far cry away from my Civic interior really, except there's no sports seats in the front lol :)

Cheers for all the help though fellas :thumbup:

all of my tdi's had a black interior, so the lower part of the dash and carpets were all black...

i retro-fitted cruise control to mine too using the cruise stalk from a type 4 van and a few wiring mods, made it awesome to drive long journeys and helps maintain higher mpg figures which is what you need if you do the sort of miles i used to do (circa 800 miles per week)... i really sorely regret selling my last tdi lupo now.

That lupo pictured is a GTI, maybe this picture better reflects the similarities between the two

dash.JPG

I thought Sports from 2004(?) onwards had the GTi interior? I had a 2001 Sport with the 'Tom & Jerry' interior - my mate has a 2004 Sport with a GTi interior (the only difference being twin cowling over the instruments, which actually looks better!).

i really sorely regret selling my last tdi lupo now.

I know how you feel - I'm now thinking the same about my Lupo GTi (totally mint with 20,000 on the clock) - at least it didn't leak like a sieve (well, it had a leaky windscreen once, but got that fixed under warranty!).

all of my tdi's had a black interior, so the lower part of the dash and carpets were all black...

i retro-fitted cruise control to mine too using the cruise stalk from a type 4 van and a few wiring mods, made it awesome to drive long journeys and helps maintain higher mpg figures which is what you need if you do the sort of miles i used to do (circa 800 miles per week)... i really sorely regret selling my last tdi lupo now.

Got any guides for this Tom? As it's something i'd definitely be interested in doing once/if i get one!

Much appreciated mate :thumbup:

If it's MPG ya after..... don't forget the earlier vRS's have a longer 5th and 6th..... so even more economical on the motorway :thumbup:

So maybe an older example with less miles would be preferable?