Superb TDI 170 DSG

Hi all,

Been viewing the forum and looks like i'm ready to take the plunge!!!

Been out and test driven 2 cars today.... Superb 1.8TSI Manual & Superb TDI CR 170 DSG

Looks like its going to be the Diesel DSG!

The car drove really well. Also had the Park Assist and the dealer has offered to fit a Bluetooth car kit as part of the deal.

Its an March 09 with 16k with full history. They will give 12mths Warranty, 12 mths RAC assist & fit bluetooth.

How do you find your cars? Particularly re: fuel? Is 45 mpg combined reasonable to expect?

Thanks

Beerok

Hi all,

Been viewing the forum and looks like i'm ready to take the plunge!!!

Been out and test driven 2 cars today.... Superb 1.8TSI Manual & Superb TDI CR 170 DSG

Looks like its going to be the Diesel DSG!

The car drove really well. Also had the Park Assist and the dealer has offered to fit a Bluetooth car kit as part of the deal.

Its an March 09 with 16k with full history. They will give 12mths Warranty, 12 mths RAC assist & fit bluetooth.

How do you find your cars? Particularly re: fuel? Is 45 mpg combined reasonable to expect?

Thanks

Beerok

I got my TDI 170 DSG in October 2009. Its now well run in. I did a brim to brim check on 1540 miles back in July when I was on holiday. About half the mileage was on motorways with two up and a full boot, the rest local roads with two up. I calculated that I averaged 47.5 mpg over that distance. That makes no allowance for speedometer error, but even if that error was 10% it would still be 43mpg. That does give some guide to the cars economy.

I got my TDI 170 DSG in October 2009. Its now well run in. I did a brim to brim check on 1540 miles back in July when I was on holiday. About half the mileage was on motorways with two up and a full boot, the rest local roads with two up. I calculated that I averaged 47.5 mpg over that distance. That makes no allowance for speedometer error, but even if that error was 10% it would still be 43mpg. That does give some guide to the cars economy.

Thanks for the reply Caspian.

I am so torn between the DSG and the Manual. I love driving the DSG but unsure if i'd miss the 'driving feel'?

Beerok

Mine is a 170 manual (estate) and with 11k on the clock it is returning an average of 44mpg, (actual) the DSG may use a tiny amount more but not a great deal, I personally went for the manual as I wasn't impressed enough with the DSG in the car I drove - it was jerky going into 1st and reverse.

I love my 170 DSG. I've done about 4,000 miles now and on my 40 mile commute to work, which is a mixture of motorway and slow A road (running into Manchester) I've seen 53mpg on the Maxidot. Ok, so it may read over by 10%, buts that's still pushing high 40's!

I have no problem with the DSG, it's very smooth in D and good fun in S... some people have even reported improved mpg in manual, but I've not tested it... I'm just happy to drive :-)

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be the right choice for you, so just have fun.

Over the moon with my 170 DSG, I have the paddles on the steering wheel too so often stick it in manual and play with it, its a lot of fun and is my first auto, ever! I was that impressed on the test drive!

The only thing I miss is the holding on the clutch at lights for a quick getaway but maybe at 41 I should be growing out of that. ;)

Also, I thought all models had bluetooth or is that just Elegance?

The DSG is the way to go - you can always use the tip-tronic change if you want to, but I'd bet now that you won't very often. :)

My 170CR DSG Elegance does around 45mpg, mostly town and short runs with the occasional >30-mile run thrown in. I've had 18K really pleasurable miles with it now and love it.

Check with the dealer about the bluetooth - you want the module under the driver's seat changed to the bluetooth hands-free version - you don't want an after-market 3rd. party kit slapping in, as it will look untidy and won't give you the same integrated functions as the Columbus will. If that's what the dealer was going to do, fine, but as you didn't specify what he was intending, it's worth asking.

Ray

Well I'm happy with mine although I don't drive that much (I can walk to my work...). Never the less, if you can get 45 mpg you are doing good. I will not get no more than 40-ish for (my) combined driving. But I have clocked 56 mpg at one time, driving a fully loaded car in Norway :angel: On the highway I do will enjoy the DSG/170 hp and... WOOOSH! There I passed a lorry or two in a blink of an eye. :giggle:

DSG is working fine, especially on those curvy uphill roads of Geiranger. No quirkiness except for two occasions where I got more(!) power than I expected. Parking sensors are excellent, they also alert you for people around the car on the parking lots, it's a good backup for the eyes. Park assist is OK, cool "show off", but you have to use your screens, mirrors and some common sense. :) Good luck with your new car!

/Superbjoser

Edited by Superbjoser

I also love my 170 DSG to bits. Have had a V50 Powershift (Ford/Volvo version) for 3 years, but the VW family DSG wins on points. Much better at moving off, especially in reverse. Though DSG shows more clutch drag at standstill than Volvo. And the paddles are just ace for skipping down gears in a heartbeat.

[about to replace the V50 with a Golf 1.6 TDI 7 speed DSG Match BlueMotion so that will be interesting]

I chauffeured a relative on a tourist run a couple of weeks ago and the Superb dash read 56 mpg. I've only done 3,100 miles and though the dash usually reads 40 to 45, the actual brim to brim average is 38+ true. It's loosening up nicely.

My own personal performance KPI is the sum of the Average Speed + the Average MPG. On my regular 130 weekly trip I like this to exceed 100. All depends on the time of day, hence traffic.

Superb Elegance 170 DSG average mpg over the last 44,717 mile is 43.92 mpg

The last five brim to brim mpg are 44.49, 49.20, 47.48, 50.21, 51.04, each tank giving 539 ,562 466 542 and 573 miles respectively.

The best MFD reading I have had was 63.5 mpg on a 200 mile trip. that equated to 51.04 when refueled to the brim.

60 mph seems to be the critical speed - below gives 57-63 above 50 -55 on MFD. I know it's sad but when you get to my age [63] these things become adictive.

I have 11k on the clock now and the mpg seems to have settled around the 46 mark (actual), the MFD claims 48 to 50

As for the DSG, I find it indespensible when sitting in the traffic queues on the so called motorway. I also love the way it snaps down into 5th when I need get past something.

I've not found the Sport mode particularly useful, seems the same amount of progress with a lot more noise, the 170 can do just as well in Normal mode. It can be useful though in real slow traffic though as it stops the box going up & down to 3rd every time you move 6 feet.

Highly recommend the 170 DSG :thumbup:

I picked up my Superb 170 DSG Elegance today!!!

Drove it back 160 (roughly) miles from Lincoln to Kent and I was quite impressed by how little the needle moved down the gauge, especially as I wasn't taking it easy. As I go on I'll be interested to see what mileage I get, but right now I am having far too much fun fiddling with all the wonderful toys to care. :rofl:

It really is an awesome car though.

I picked up my Superb 170 DSG Elegance today!!!

Drove it back 160 (roughly) miles from Lincoln to Kent and I was quite impressed by how little the needle moved down the gauge, especially as I wasn't taking it easy. As I go on I'll be interested to see what mileage I get, but right now I am having far too much fun fiddling with all the wonderful toys to care. :rofl:

It really is an awesome car though.

Congrats on a brilliant car.

I love my 170 DSG and am always really pleased to be driving anywhere, its amazing with the miles I do but I'm looking forward to every trip.

Its great the looks it gets too as people still arent that used to seeing them, you can see them admiring from the other side of their Mundayno windows only wishing theyd had the balls to buy Skoda.... That said I am glad the company pays the fuel. I drove back from Whitehaven to Norfolk today and the MFD showed an average of 44mpg!

That said, I wasnt babying her.. :giggle:

Edited by Stumpi

I've spent the last 4 years in a Peugeot 307SW. Oh how I'd have dreamed of seeing 40 MPG! :giggle:

Such a pity I have to go into work tomorrow. Its sitting there.......calling me......it wants a trip.........I hear Scotland's nice this time of year......

I've spent the last 4 years in a Peugeot 307SW. Oh how I'd have dreamed of seeing 40 MPG! :giggle:

Such a pity I have to go into work tomorrow. Its sitting there.......calling me......it wants a trip.........I hear Scotland's nice this time of year......

I just drove the 6 hours from Coniston in the Lakes today. despite the amazing scenery there I still have 20 photos of the Car in various poses lol!

AUGUST112017.jpg

Am I sad?

Edited by Stumpi

I just drove the 6 hours from Coniston in the Lakes today. despite the amazing scenery there I still have 20 photos of the Car in various poses lol!

AUGUST112017.jpg

Am I sad?

No, I'm doing a tour of Scotland next year and fully intend to take photos of the car in front of places like Stirling castle, Loch Ness, and the like. :)

AUGUST112017.jpg

Am I sad?

Looks like an AUDI went along with you :giggle:

I have a 170 TDI/DSG (limo, MY 2009) that has covered almost 30k miles by now (dealers demo-car bought 6 months ago).

Fuel consumption varies between 45 mpg up to a whopping 63 mpg (real consumption between refills!) depending on load, speed and mood ;)

Since I live in the more rural parts of Sweden the traffic is light and it's possible to drive for up to an hour without changing speed and the sweet spot is around 85-90 kph (53 to 55 mph) where the car seem to just go and go without using much fuel.

I drive about 600 miles a week and the car is fabulous to drive. You can drive it grandpa-style or you can drive it more inspired, it handles wet conditions superb(ly) and it's stable and secure on icy roads (with proper winter tyres, ie studded Nokian Hakkapellita).

It's not as fun as my previous Passat (with sport suspension) on curvy roads but that's the only thing I miss from time to time.

I currently drive a 170 CR tdi DSG hatch and have the following fuel statistics (sad that I am)

Mileage 47,500

Consumed 4,631 Litres of Diesel (or 1,018.73 Gallons) at a cost of £5,585,23

Best 51.657

Worst 39.830

Average 46.593

Had I covered the same in my previous Audi 1.8T Convertible it would have cost me £8000.42.

MFD very optimitic - overstates consumption by at least 10%.

Usual refill at 550 miles per tank, have managed 602.

Edited by ddyer79

Early days for my 2011 140 DSG SE, in fact I'm still on my first tank of fuel!

The vast majority of my milage (probably 95%) is my 96 mile round-trip commute to work. Fortunately it's all motorway, I travel outside of peak traffic times and I don't feel the need to rush on work milage.

Early indications are good, having done 300 miles on the first half tank, and that included a 70 mile round trip aross London to see friends on the BH weekend.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm expecting to see around 600 miles per tank, but time will tell.

No, I'm doing a tour of Scotland next year and fully intend to take photos of the car in front of places like Stirling castle, Loch Ness, and the like. :)

You should get a picture of it in front of the Falkirk wheel, thats what Jaguar used to lanch thier new car a couple of years ago. It came down the wheel floating on a barge

mm