Octavia II manual or electric seats

Considering ordering a new Octavia probably a 1.8 TSI Elegance or L&K.

I'm seeking advice re. the front seat quality.

I've seen a few threads mentioning problems with the lumber support on the manual seats so I'm trying to make the choice between the Elegance (manual seats) or the L&K (electric ones). Are the electric seats any better or should I choose another car make?

I do have a back problem which made me choose my present car, a Volvo V70.

If you want my honest opinion, I'd go into a dealer and ask to try both. That's the only way you're going to know which one will suit you the best. I have manual seats and I can't seem to quite get the lumbar support right, but that's just me being awkward I think! lol! I'm pretty sure I'll get it right one day, it's just a case of playing with it until it's sorted. Not sure what these problems are that you mention though?

I have the manual seats and have no problems finding a comfortable driving position. The annoying thing though is when someone else drives the car and they move the seat (why is it dealers need to move the seat up and down and back and forth so much to move it for servicing?!), you then have to get it back to how you like it. The electric seats have a memory function so once you're happy you know you'll always be able to get that position back! Make sure you test drive a car with both seat types rather than just in the showroom, as you'll never be able to tell otherwise.

Thanks for the replies.

I will try the seats but I find you only really find out how good they are after 2-3 hours of driving which is often not practicable on a test drive.

It would be good to hear from anyone with the electric / leather seats.

I have a 2007 L&K with electric seats and I can't adjust the lumbar to anything suitable either.

Heated seats are nice though and I'm not sure if this is only available with electric seats?

I have a 1.4 TSI Elegance with electric driver's seat in leather. Like you, my previous car was a Volvo V70. The seats in the Skoda are quite firm and I find that they can be quite uncomfortable on a long journey, but I think this is typical of German designed cars. Volvos are well known for the comfort of their seats and I think there can be no comparison between them and Skodas. Regarding the lumbar support, as I have posted previously the manual lumbar support on the passenger seat is useless, and my wife gets backache after a long journey. However, the electric adjustment on the driver's seat is much better and you can definitely feel the difference when it is adjusted. It is a shame that an electric passenger seat is not an option on the Octavia. Overall, the Octavia is an excellent car that I feel is let down by the seat comfort. I know that other owners do not agree with this, but perhaps this is because they have not experienced a Volvo. The reason I changed from the Volvo is because the Octavia is certainly much more economical to run, which I suspect is why you are considering it. You have to choose between seat comfort and economy, but you can't have both! Hope this helps.

Thanks both for your replies, I realised the seats were not going to match the Volvo. Given the choice I'd stick with the Volvo but company car rules mean I don't have this option.

However I can have the Octavia or the Superb, I'm considering the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG L & K version basically to get the hopefully better seats over the Elegence.

The Superb is too big a car for my needs.

I guess the Octavia vRS maybe another option but I suspect this will come with harder suspension so rather defeats the comfort objective.

The sports seats in the vRS are very comfy and the sports suspension isn't too hard in standard spec -try it alongside a Seat Leon FR and you'll see what I mean.

I have the L&K and I have no problem finding suitable adjustment positions. As mentioned earlier the electric seats have a memory (for up to 3 drivers), so you can set it and forget it. I think the heated version is only available on the leather seats as in the L&K, but I stand to be corrected. But when all said and done you must try manual and electric before you commit.

Mac

Recently took our relatively new L&K all the way to berlin and back a total of 1600 miles in 6 days. I have a bad back as a result of a motor sport accident that put me in hospital for three months. End result is that I find many cars uncomfortable to drive but with the lumber support on electric seats adjusting in more than one direction (manual is just in and out), i found my long journey very comfortable and absolutly no back pain at all.

End of the day you need to try both and if possible try them for longer than just a test drive.

The Octavia seats are as good as those in my Superb which I have posted some time ago in the Superb forum that those seats were every bit as good as the SAAB I used to own.

Recently took our relatively new L&K all the way to berlin and back a total of 1600 miles in 6 days. I have a bad back as a result of a motor sport accident that put me in hospital for three months. End result is that I find many cars uncomfortable to drive but with the lumber support on electric seats adjusting in more than one direction (manual is just in and out), i found my long journey very comfortable and absolutly no back pain at all.

End of the day you need to try both and if possible try them for longer than just a test drive.

The Octavia seats are as good as those in my Superb which I have posted some time ago in the Superb forum that those seats were every bit as good as the SAAB I used to own.

I have had my L&K with the electric seats for three years and have had no issues whatsoever. as someone already said, the electric memory set and forget function is great. I've just ordered a Yeti today but it is already built and on the way to the UK so I could'nt spec the electric seats. I know that the L&K seats are the one thing that I am really going to miss in the new car but the panoramic sun roof was just too tempting.

now, anyone want a low mileage L&K? :-)

if you have the volvo v70 take the skoda for a long drive before you decide, the seats in the volvo are like sitting on a couch and i dont think any car on the road apart from a rover 75 that can match the volvo for comfort

I do have a back problem which made me choose my present car, a Volvo V70.

Does your back problem give you a problem with a correctly adjusted lumbar support?

If not then do not even entertain the non electric seats,

I suffer with lower back pain (a torn disc, plus other difficulties) and with the very crude 'cam' system of lumbar support in the manually adjustable seats is nowhere near as adjustable as on the electric seats.

My son pulled by back out of place last Saturday, yet I managed to drive the 1 1/2hrs back home in my Superb Elegance (fitted with electric seats as std) with almost no pain, I did however struggled to get out of the car when I got home!

My previous cars I had to replace the seat for either electrically adjustable lumbar supported ones or a Recaro one with the pump type of support.

The longest journey to date in my car has been 5 hrs (without stopping) and I have not had an issue :thumbup:

If you can afford it then get the Electric seats I had an L&K before i got my new vRS and my only gripe with the vRS is that you can't spec electric seats.

The lumbar support is electric and far far better than the wind up solution on the manual seats. If you let it the lumbar support will push you tight into your seat belt it's that good. Plus you can move it from right at the bottom of your back to about halfway up. The manual solution to me makes no difference what so ever to the seat feel.

I am currently on the look out for a set of L&K seats that i can fit to my car and just get the leather swapped over.

• 2 weeks later...

i was wondering if anyone on this thread had any idea about replacing standard seats with electric seats for my 06 octi. i do not want to end up having a wiring issue and wonder if the car will also need coding for it. any help appreciated.

i was wondering if anyone on this thread had any idea about replacing standard seats with electric seats for my 06 octi. i do not want to end up having a wiring issue and wonder if the car will also need coding for it. any help appreciated.

The car will not have the wires re-installed for electric seats, but it isn't a huge job to DIY (depending on your capabilities) you will need to fuse them via an ignition fed live.

I have electric seats and and they are fine for adjusting all positions, but while back side is fine, i find the sitting bit a little short and rounded for decent under knee support. Was in a Golf 6 a few weeks ago and got to say much better seats.

I too have a back and neck problem, the electric seat in the L&K is great - once you have it set right and stored in the memory it is spot on. Plenty of lumbar adjustment - up, down, in and out.

The other thing you can do is pair the key to the seat memory as well - one key to memory 1 and one to memory 2 (or 3). This means when you unlock the car and open the door the seat and wing mirrors adjust to your position if they have been altered. Annoys the hell out of mechanics when it is in for a service LOL!

I have electric seats and and they are fine for adjusting all positions, but while back side is fine, i find the sitting bit a little short and rounded for decent under knee support. Was in a Golf 6 a few weeks ago and got to say much better seats.

I'm experiencing the same problem with the sitting bit as on longer journeys you get sore thighs due to lack of support. Personally I think the non sport seats on the octavia are inferior compared to the vw golf ones.