Velux Roof & Windscreen Condensation

Sprockutt

We got our Yeti in July and up until recently I've had no concerns about the velux roof. However with the recent slight drop in temperatures I am now worried that I either have a problem with the seals or am going to

end up cursing it. The last couple of mornings the inside glass surface has been very wet and to a lesser degree some small areas on the windscreen. If it had frozen then I'd either have a soaking wet sun blind or need

to use a umbrella to keep the drips off us as the car heated up.

I've read elsewhere on the site that some of you have had no condensation and others have had some issues. What do you all think? Is it back to the dealers to check the seals?

IIRC it's not the seals that are the problem, but rather the rubber outlets above the tailgate that get blocked so not allowing the water to drain out quick enough.

Have you had heavy rain in the last few days?

AFAIK there is a modification that should be done to rectify the problem so yes, a trip to the dealer should be your next step.

Before you go, check out My link for all the info you are likely to need.

IIRC it's not the seals that are the problem, but rather the rubber outlets above the tailgate that get blocked so not allowing the water to drain out quick enough.

Have you had heavy rain in the last few days?

AFAIK there is a modification that should be done to rectify the problem so yes, a trip to the dealer should be your next step.

Before you go, check out My link for all the info you are likely to need.

Thanks for the reply but the link seems to be all about an actual leak whereas my issue is that the entire interior surface of the glass is soaking. Their seems to be a high moisture content

in the cabin so wouldn't seem to point to water channels being blocked. Also my car is a MY12 so would hope any previous drainage issues would have been addressed....hmmm :wonder:

Get the air con drain pipe checked, there has been a post way back where the foot well in the front has been damp and windows getting condensation on them all due to a kink in the drain pipe, hope you get it sorted soon.

Have you inadvertantly got the air circulation set to recirculate? Often a common cause of condensation.

Also just turn the air con on with the heater for a short time, that will dry the air out.

Thanks, I'll check out the possibility of the recirculate setting causing the condensation. I would be delighted if it turns out to be a simple error which I can then blame the wife for :rofl:

If the recirculation isn't to blame then I'll be giving the air con blast a go.

cheers!

Get the air con drain pipe checked, there has been a post way back where the foot well in the front has been damp and windows getting condensation on them all due to a kink in the drain pipe, hope you get it sorted soon.

Good point....I'll check all the carpets for any signs of dampness.

My windscreen tends to mist up whenever the temperature drops, often whilst driving. I keep having to use the auto-demist function for a few seconds to clear it. Then some time late it will happen again.

I have even tried the anti-mist solutions, but all they do is reduce vision clarity.

No sign of dampness in the floor coverings.

• 4 months later...

This fault has got to the point of me very much regretting the day I ticked the velux window option. It now dread an icy day, which is obviously fairly common during a scottish winter. :smirk: When it is icy 9/10 times I also have a layer of ice covering the velux on the inside and the windscreen. So by the time you drive to work it starts dripping on you....totally unacceptable.

However my dealer has just informed me that I might have to put up with it because it could be environmental and they can't find anything wrong with the car. They didn't even strip down the area that I told them I get clunking noises from when I put the blower on. This usually happens in the morning when we start to demist/defrost the car. They haven't heard the noise and gave no credibility to my exasperated descriptions of where the noise is coming from. They did however change the pollen filter which was nice of them.

I've just came of a very heated phone call and asked for Skoda UK's phone number. The guy I spoke to there was very helpfulup until he realised that the cars in my wifes name. So need to now get my wife to call this guy to give him permission to talk to me. Hopefully I'll get some kind of resolution as this is very much souring my first skoda buying experience.

Not happy at all.

This fault has got to the point of me very much regretting the day I ticked the velux window option. It now dread an icy day, which is obviously fairly common during a scottish winter. :smirk: When it is icy 9/10 times I also have a layer of ice covering the velux on the inside and the windscreen. So by the time you drive to work it starts dripping on you....totally unacceptable.

However my dealer has just informed me that I might have to put up with it because it could be environmental and they can't find anything wrong with the car. They didn't even strip down the area that I told them I get clunking noises from when I put the blower on. This usually happens in the morning when we start to demist/defrost the car. They haven't heard the noise and gave no credibility to my exasperated descriptions of where the noise is coming from. They did however change the pollen filter which was nice of them.

I've just came of a very heated phone call and asked for Skoda UK's phone number. The guy I spoke to there was very helpfulup until he realised that the cars in my wifes name. So need to now get my wife to call this guy to give him permission to talk to me. Hopefully I'll get some kind of resolution as this is very much souring my first skoda buying experience.

Not happy at all.

Can I ask what dealer you are going to.

I actually use Parks (although the bus that crashed through the place yesterday did make some mess/:(.)as I find them more helpful than Henrys.

http://images.mirror...n-894567184.jpg

http://images.mirror...n-954759372.jpg

Edited by servicepoint
  • Like 1

Can I ask what dealer you are going to.

I actually use Parks (although the bus that crashed through the place yesterday did make some mess/:(.)as I find them more helpful than Henrys.

http://images.mirror...n-894567184.jpg

http://images.mirror...n-954759372.jpg

It is Parks. The sales guys we dealt with when buying the car were great and they put a much better deal together for us so no complaints. The service dept on the other hand have been less than impressive.

Then do! Leave the key in and the engine running. Bet you get none of the faults you are claiming.

Yeah, brilliant, problem solved! Or even better I could just buy a dehumidifier and keep it constantly on running 24 hours a day plugged into the 12v socket. Either that or I could just keep trying to find the cause of the fault in the ventilation system that's causing the excess condensation.

Then do! Leave the key in and the engine running. Bet you get none of the faults you are claiming.

I thought we were supposed to help people on this forum, not give infantile suggestions.

I thought we were supposed to help people on this forum, not give infantile suggestions.

This has always been a very helpful forum and generally you get very intelligent considered replies and suggestions. However as its a public forum you must be prepared to accept the fact that you will sometimes get a less helpful reply to your questions etc.

It is perhaps a little unfair to suggest the comment was infantile as we should really try and encourage our younger forum members as they may genuinely be trying their very best to be clever and join in with the rest of us grown ups.

We got our Yeti in July and up until recently I've had no concerns about the velux roof. However with the recent slight drop in temperatures I am now worried that I either have a problem with the seals or am going to

end up cursing it. The last couple of mornings the inside glass surface has been very wet and to a lesser degree some small areas on the windscreen. If it had frozen then I'd either have a soaking wet sun blind or need

to use a umbrella to keep the drips off us as the car heated up.

I've read elsewhere on the site that some of you have had no condensation and others have had some issues. What do you all think? Is it back to the dealers to check the seals?

I had a similar problem with an Audi I had a few years ago.

It was found to be due to a flap jamming and not letting fresh air into the car althouigh the climate control was set to fresh air and not to recirculating. I would suggest that the Heating and Air conditioning systems are properly examined.

I have condensation on the sliding roof and the car is only a week old so don't expect it to break yet.

As the glass is covered by the interior blind when parked I put it down to a temperature difference between that area and the rest of the interior.

I had a similar problem with an Audi I had a few years ago.

It was found to be due to a flap jamming and not letting fresh air into the car althouigh the climate control was set to fresh air and not to recirculating. I would suggest that the Heating and Air conditioning systems are properly examined.

Thanks, that would back up my suspicions with the ventilation system. The noise I'm getting when we first put on the blower is like a flap that isn't operating correctly when air is forced into the cabin.

I have condensation on the sliding roof and the car is only a week old so don't expect it to break yet.

As the glass is covered by the interior blind when parked I put it down to a temperature difference between that area and the rest of the interior.

I wouldn't worry to much about a little condensation as that is inevitable. I'm talking about all the glass within the car being covered in condensation. One of the guys earlier on in this post talked about using the air con to dry out the cabin before you park. This will more than likely be enough to rid your car of a small amount of condensation. They also suggested that it would be worth checking to see if you don't have the air flow set to re-circulate which of course can cause these type of issues.

I wouldn't worry to much about a little condensation as that is inevitable. I'm talking about all the glass within the car being covered in condensation. One of the guys earlier on in this post talked about using the air con to dry out the cabin before you park. This will more than likely be enough to rid your car of a small amount of condensation. They also suggested that it would be worth checking to see if you don't have the air flow set to re-circulate which of course can cause these type of issues.

Hi may be telling you something you already know, but if you have the heater set to fresh air when you select rev the sound from the heater will change as it will automatically go into recirculate mode to stop fumes from entering the car, can hear it clearly on mine

I have the recirculate set to auto all the time never get any condensation or misting, and the air con is on all the time.

Is there a pollen filter in the Yeti? Replacing the pollen filter in a lot a vauxhalls cured condensation problems.

Apparently they block up quite quickly.

It's a long shot especially with the know issues with the pano roof being more likely.

Is there a pollen filter in the Yeti? Replacing the pollen filter in a lot a vauxhalls cured condensation problems.

Apparently they block up quite quickly.

It's a long shot especially with the know issues with the pano roof being more likely.

The dealer has just changed the pollen filter when it was in so we'll see if it makes any difference. Although I'm still convinced the noise we are getting when we turn the blower on is the first thing that needs to be ruled out. As mentioned earlier it sounds like a flap mechanism that isn'nt working properly. Unfortunately as is usually the way with things like this as soon as you get within 100 yards of a dealership it is completely silent.

The car is a MY12 model and was one of the first orders when skoda re-introduced the option. So it might not be related to any earlier issues the first cars had.