can i have HID bulbs in normal headlamps & still be legal?

Metty92

Will almost definitely be an MOT fail after Jan 2012, and 8000k will be way too blue for real use anyway. 6000k tops if you don't want to look like a moron and get pulled by the police constantly, and provides more light output than 8000k.

Quite simply, no.

To be 100% legal with HIDs you need auto-levelling and headlight washers. Also without the projectors you'll blind everyone else off the road.

10,000k bulbs just look plain stupid and are bound to get you a pull.

• Like 1

i believe its up to the MOTers discretion so I've been told as well as seeing it on some program as long as they have been set up correctly, personally i would only get them if i had projectors and get them fitted/aligned by a qualified garage.

I just passed my mot with 6000k and no issues, aslong as you get the correct projector bulbs then there will be no glare issues. Personally I think the whole self levelling and headlight washer thing is rubbish an they will never check for that. Get the correct bulb and they can't fail you as the pattern will be spot on!

8000k to 10000k will look rubbish!

Plus the light output will be pants!

Go for 5300k or 6000k tops!

Even then they're not brilliant in a reflector style lamp. No matter how much you argue... you will have light scatter!

Ok thanks, so I could have 6000k with normal headlamps? And be legal, or no hids what so ever?

The legality with HIDS is very clear. If you want to fit them and be legal, you must have them with self levelers and washers.

http://www2.dft.gov....dheadlamps.html

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps

December 2006

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK

Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

You can "get away" with 6000K bulbs in normal headlamps, IF you align them properly. But starting next year they'll almost definitely fail an MOT. I'd just buy some whiter halogen bulbs, personally, I had 6000K HIDs on my old car but they're impossible to align as well as halogens.

As you may have gathered, don't buy those HID kits, unless you have washers and levelling. They may not be legal even with these things, due to the amount of scatter they produce.

If you want a Xennon (HID) look then blue blue coated bulbs, reconmended ones are Philips Blue Vision or Osram Cool Blue. remember you will never get more light from a coated bulb.

If you want more light, then Osram Night Breakers Plus or Philips X-Treme Vision are reconmended

8000k to 10000k will look rubbish!

Plus the light output will be pants!

Go for 5300k or 6000k tops!

Even then they're not brilliant in a reflector style lamp. No

matter how much you argue... you will have light scatter!

Agreed, 4300k is 'pure white' and is the temp oem xenons are.

Mine are 6000k and look great, I was a bit wary before I fitted them but they dont look chav at all. I've had to lower the lights down a little and there is zero scatter. Mate of mine owns a garage and he was saying that H7 hid kits dont really scatter much but the H4 are a nightmare. I dont know why this is, but I put mine up against the MOT levelling wall and the light pattern was spot on.

It's not always the kits that cause the beams to scatter, its the way the lenses are designed.

Factory HIDs come with a projector lamp, which reduces light scatter.

Where standard lamps are reflective, and cause more powerful HID units to reflect light in all directions.

It's a big decision for myself. I absolutely love HIDs, since my factory xenons on my polo GTi. I've got two sets waiting to go on a fabia, but am desperately looking for a decent fab with factory ones due to the new laws coming in.

Mine are 6000k and look great, I was a bit wary before I fitted them but they dont look chav at all. I've had to lower the lights down a little and there is zero scatter. Mate of mine owns a garage and he was saying that H7 hid kits dont really scatter much but the H4 are a nightmare. I dont know why this is, but I put mine up against the MOT levelling wall and the light pattern was spot on.

When you park it up against a wall, it will be. Because the surface is close to the car there's no room for light to scatter. However, get it out on the road and you'll probably find that the light beam is all over the place in the distance compared to your factory lights, which equates to blinding oncomers...

Yeah I thought that would be the case. When I got them I thought it was a waste of money, but I've been out in my wife's car and had her drive mine up and down the main roads near us in the opposite direction to me. Truthfully they look absolutely fine, I would be horrifid if they caused glare for other drivers. Also been behind police cars and night and never been pulled for it, theyve been fitted for 3 or 3 months now.

Whats with the new H7R hid bulbs then?

Seem to be designed for the reflector headlights.......allegedly.

I dont have them personally but i have seen them.

They are a bit better, but still can be shocking!

I tried them, and after a few weeks removed them and went with uprated bulbs instead.

Yeah 6000k in normal headlights. Recently lamin-x'd them but has made no difference really. I have plastic headlight protector/cover thingies, dont know if that makes a difference, but cant imagine they do. Dont get me wrong, if I had the slightest doubt about the bulbs I'd whip them out. I find them to be quite discreet compared to a lot of awful lights I see out and about. They are quite a subtle colour.