Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

I did mine with cheap Wickes Roof & Gutter Sealant last year. It seems to have worked. It does not look neat but if you stick loads of the stuff into the recess of the old seal and surrounding rivets it should work. I replaced all the door card clips at the same time with the newer ones, as they have a better plastic seal around them than the older type.

I actually removed all the old stuff otherwise I assume you don't get a good seal - bit like doing bathroom sealent.

Did you do all the way round or just up above half way like the guide on fabia-vrs.com said?

They're only 54p from TPS :)

Is it my imagination or has the price doubled for these over the last year or so? The new ones aren't as brittle which is always a plus.

My back doors have started leaking again, the carriers are riveted in so I dug all the foam out with a knife this time and filled the gap and surrounding area with gutter sealant. The movement between the carrier and the door had cracked the sealant. :(

I've reported previously that the price has doubled - and the design is still the same as I paid 30p for when I did the offside door 18 months ago, Seems like blatant profiteering...

I actually removed all the old stuff otherwise I assume you don't get a good seal - bit like doing bathroom sealent.

Did you do all the way round or just up above half way like the guide on fabia-vrs.com said?

I sealed it a little bit higher up than the guide. Only because I had enough sealant left over

Well had a go at doing my rear passenger door again today. Kept getting rained off though lol. Managed it in the end.

After inspection I found it was leaking through the reseal I had done at the bottom. Evidently there is too much of a gap between the carrier and door. So I removed all the sealant again(!) and as much water as I could squeeze out. Got some 5x25mm self-tapping pan head screws and put a row in between the existing rivets to pull it closer to the door. Did the trick and could see more water squeeze out as it pulled together. I made sure I squeezed a load of sealant under there first and in the holes I had drilled before putting the screws in. Then finished it off with more sealant.

Just hope it holds this time as I really don't want to be doing it again!!

Can't remember if I added this further up.... But if your FRONT doors are leaking, the three little wall plug style clips along the bottom of the door can puncture with a few removals of the door card and then let the water straight through..

And to confirm what someone else mentioned.. After market speaker collars are terrible for letting water past as well.. So you can have perfectly sealed carriers and still have leaks... I've been trying to track mine down for months now and it's been a combination of all the above.

I sealed my back doors 4 years ago and they're still bone dry so I know my technique and choice of goop was good...

I sealed my back doors 4 years ago and they're still bone dry so I know my technique and choice of goop was good...

^^

Rob. : Either that or you had a perfect combination of technique and luck ;-)

Mine began leaking again recently, and I noticed a pin ***** sized hole in the sealant. I simply smoothed this over using my finger and the issues went away again, so I haven't bothered clearing the goop up (which is a nightmare in itself), and didn't feel the need to seal over it again.

I now check my door seals for leaks as regularly as I check my tyres for tread and my engine for oil, etc!

• Like 1

^^

Rob. :

I now check my door seals for leaks as regularly as I check my tyres for tread and my engine for oil, etc!

Same here!.. I also ask the wife if it smells like damp ( I smoke, so can't tell the difference)... but I regularly have a god look around for signs of water ingress. At the end of the day,... I spent good money on that car, and anything that will keep her on the road, is good money spent!..

I sealed my rear doors and there still leaking. Not as bad, but you can still see water on the wrong side of the rubber seals. Oh well, off to the garage I guess to have it done under warranty.

I didn't buy it off Skoda, just an independant garage. They've ordered in a Skoda sealing kit and will do it for me under warranty. I've no intention of telling them I've already had a go lol I'll deny all and act as though I have no idea about cars. Which is the truth to a certain extent anyway lol. My little bin bag curtains and bright blue clothes line clips will do in the mean time, they jazz the back of the car up nicely.

I've just noticed the same problem with mine in the rear passenger side footwell, but upon closer inspection the liquid appears to be washer jet fluid as it foams up when agitated. does anyone know where the pipework for the rear washer jet is located, its a 2001 fabia 1.4 mpi

Two places for washer pipe to come off. As well documented on this site,but here we go

1) Joint on bulkhead/firewall on engine side, below the ABS module. Difficult to see, unless yoy're a Skoda bloke, suspect their might be a joint inside passenger cabin .

2) Joint just behind rear passenger seat

And as well documented, cause of pipes coming off is use of less than 50% screenwash/water mix.

On door card problem, Skoda tech told me they do repair on two levels

1) the card is screwed in - then they replace lines

2) the card is rivited in ,then they use silicon sealer .

Edited by VWD

Hi,

After this lovely weather of late I have noticed a small puddle appear in my rear foot wells. Yep the door carrier leak has appeared! Having just removed the door card to check it is clear, due to the seal actually falling out, that this is the cause. I am going to attempt a fix tomorrow using the youtube video as a guide. Hopefully this will cure as the smell of damp is not nice.

Any tips on how to ensure success?

Cheers

Well worn how to guide on the Fabia fix it threads . Read ,and enjoy. My input- Skoda tech told me that if screwed on ,they open and fix. If riveted, they seal.

Hi,

After this lovely weather of late I have noticed a small puddle appear in my rear foot wells. Yep the door carrier leak has appeared! Having just removed the door card to check it is clear, due to the seal actually falling out, that this is the cause. I am going to attempt a fix tomorrow using the youtube video as a guide. Hopefully this will cure as the smell of damp is not nice.

Any tips on how to ensure success?

Cheers

Worth making sure you have got some spare door card clips. Put loads of sealant on without worrying how neat it looks. Maybe some clingfilm or tape for the window seal to stop water getting in while the sealant is drying. Good luck

Well, operation complete. Just need some rain to test it out. Also managed to break nearly all the clips on one door, glad I ordered some new ones. Was an easy job in the end!

Thanks for all the advice on this thread!

Well, operation complete. Just need some rain to test it out. Also managed to break nearly all the clips on one door, glad I ordered some new ones. Was an easy job in the end!

Thanks for all the advice on this thread!

It seems an "easy job" but time will tell :giggle: I know that is a bit pessimistic but I thought that in December but mine failed again!

Following seeing this thread I've become a little paranoid. Presently (well since I got the car a couple of months ago) the carpets haven't ever been wet, the door cards are bone dry and there's no smell or condensation in the car however I have noticed every now and then there will be a small patch of water sitting on the black rubber door seal when I open the door. No bigger than a couple of inches and all 4 doors do it but as I said not damp carpets or anything else. What do people think? Do I have a leak?

• Like 1