Winter wheels on

apmaman

Tis unusual for someone to openly admit that they are an idiot... WELL DONE!!

I think you didn't read my statement properly...

the assesor went over it with a fine toothcomb and noticed that I had fitted aftermarket alloys which were the same design/manufacture as the OEM ones but in a larger diameter!! But as the o/a tyre and wheel size and RC was to the OEM options specs for the car and the wheels were not visiably different it was ok'ed!!!

I will restate.......the aftermarket wheels where the exact manufacturer and design as the OEM....the OEM ones were 13"...but you could get 14" and 15" from VW in the options list, but not in that design. I found a set in 14" and fitted the approved VW tyre size for that rim size to keep the R/C the same as the R/C on the original 13"!...Like on my current car my OEM wheels are 185/60 R14...my "aftermarket" are 195/50 R15....same R/C...and a listed tyre by Skoda for the car...can even get 16"...all stated on the tyre pressure chart inside the fuel filler cap!

P.S. when I wrote the car off...neither the police nor the person who was coming towards me at the time could figure out how I managed to crash (that section of road can easiler be done at 50mph in summer)...but a combination of sheet ice (I did manage to correct a severe full sideways slide with the back end coming out in the wrong direction just before the crash and avoid the oncoming car) and a standard diff which caused the car to yank the steering wheel out of my hands and the car dragging itself up the embankment, then rolling onto it's roof and spinning 180deg around!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What defines tyres that are "too big", "too small" or to OEM Standards?

Rolling radius change of less than 5%? No change at all? 1% I'm sure there is some form of percentage differential allowed, anything exceeding will require declaring.

What defines tyres that are "too big", "too small" or to OEM Standards?

On VAG models the range of approved tyre sizes are on you fuel filler flap, anything else is outside manufacturers specifications.

Cheers

Lee

Only has the original tyre size on there, so if anyone wants winter wheels they have to be on the original alloys, or at least any 17' wheel.

Tbh my insurance company have said nothing about it when I emailed them. They said winter wheels and tyres were fine so im going by what they say.

Only has the original tyre size on there, so if anyone wants winter wheels they have to be on the original alloys, or at least any 17' wheel.

Tbh my insurance company have said nothing about it when I emailed them. They said winter wheels and tyres were fine so im going by what they say.

same here, my insurance company said "why would there be an increase for winter tyres? surely it would make the car safer...." lol... they did insist though that they were OE size, i.e 205/40/17's.. should get mine on in the next few weeks, been hailing here today :(

Has anyone had any experience with Dunlop Maxx on a vRS over winter..I'm starting to get a little edgy with all the talk about winter tyres! I don't think i can afford a wheel/tyre change this year?

You have a wide, very low profile summer tyres fitted in a light car with a high torque engine and a DSG gearbox.

If it snows I'd leave it in the garage.

Cheers

Lee

Ok so...

My tyres are 195 65 15 which make them 3% too big. Good thing elephant sent me this email to confirm I am good to go

We can confirm that as stated in your email as long as the rolling

circumference is within 5% of the original wheel we will cover the

winter tyres.

Yours sincerely

Elephant

Customer Services

Bazinga :D

BRING ON THE SNOW!

Has anyone had any experience with Dunlop Maxx on a vRS over winter..I'm starting to get a little edgy with all the talk about winter tyres! I don't think i can afford a wheel/tyre change this year?

I did last year...just take it easy on the throttle and brakes!

You won't get anywhere at any sort of speed.

Ok so...

My tyres are 195 65 15 which make them 3% too big. Good thing elephant sent me this email to confirm I am good to go

We can confirm that as stated in your email as long as the rolling

circumference is within 5% of the original wheel we will cover the

winter tyres.

Yours sincerely

Elephant

Customer Services

Bazinga :D

BRING ON THE SNOW!

3%? You sure?

I work out 205/40/17 and 195/65/15 to be 6.38% or 38mm extra diameter.

Good luck if you have an accident is all i can say!

3%? You sure?

Your Maths is good.

205/40x17 to 195/65x15 is a 6.38% difference

195/55x15 would be an exact match and is the standard tyre size of many other Fabia's inluding our two.

Skoda's winter tyres 185/55x15 are a -1.85% difference. Going for these on the TSi.

Wife's is having 165/70x14 which is a -1.51% difference from Standard.

Passat runs 235/45x17 summer, 205/55x16 winter. -1.71% differnce.

Cheers

Lee

3%? You sure?

Just ran those figures thro this site

http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp

And it works out at 6.5%.......so apmaman...YOU ARE FUBAR...NO INSURANCE!!!!!!

When will people listen???? :wonder:

3%? You sure?

The tyre size calculator I use make it a difference of 6.5%, 1.5 inches increase in diameter is massive and will cause your speedo to under read by around 5mph. So with in indicated 60mph on the speedo you will be really doing 65mph. At 70mph indicated you could be doing 77mph, and around town estimating the 30 and 40mph limits will become problematic and you may well find yourself with a speeding fine or two.

Ran it through a few size converters and it came up with 3% :S

Edit:

Ah well. No biggy tbh just update the insurance folk ;)

Edited by apmaman

Ran it through a few size converters and it came up with 3% :S

Edit:

Ah well. No biggy tbh just update the insurance folk ;)

good luck with that. Can't see any insurance company allowing that as it is outside manufacturer guidelines and as has been said your speedo will under read which could land you in a whole heap of trouble and there is no way they would condone that.

Let us know how you get on ;)

Will do!

Dont understand how on the converters I used it said 3% though, unless ive made a complete noob mistake and put a wrong value in when I originally did the conversion to buy them... :rofl:

I am covered. I emailed originally about being within the 5% original rolling circumstance and it was cleared as ok.

Last night I couldn't think why I had been getting 3% difference when it was in fact 6% and it turns out I put the original car tyres as 205 45 17 instead of 205 40 17.

Little balls up on my behalf but I got this lovely reply this morning after I emailled last night about my wheels being 6% over.

"

Thank you for contacting us about your policy,

I can confirm providing the tyres are strictly winter tyres then we will be happy to cover.

Yours sincerely

Elephant.co.uk

Customer Services"

So, I am covered luckily, and it would no doubt be best for everyone fitting winter tyres to clear it with your insurance company and make sure you buy the right size tyres! Haha!

Edited by apmaman

Received my winter tyres and steels a few days ago. ( 185 X 55 X 15" )

Went for the Nankang ones as they seem ok according to the reviews and are not too expensive.

Tried one on today - it just manages to clear the disc brakes.

The Skoda wheel bolts also fit the new steel wheels supplied by MyTyres. No problem with delivery from Germany.

Plan to put them on in November ( no matter what the weather) and take them off in March.

Got some 15" plastic wheel trims from Halfords in a sale - £15 - they also fit fine,

John

• 1 month later...

I thought about banded steelies, but these were so cheap it was stupid not to take them.

Might try and get 15' skoda/VW alloys next year but they're good enough for now! :rofl: