vRSy's Mk2 Fabia vRS project and build

vRSy

I was going to ask if it may require a change in compression ratio.....

also, although they may be asking for a certain ammount of fuel, have they checked the fuel pressure is sufficient to supply it? maybe not enough fuel is getting through (for one reason or another...)

The HPFP and injectors are running exactly as required. They have checked and altered all of that chasing the misfires, as far as im aware it came back as completely fine and not related.

They want to explore every possible option/solution before we start down the route of lower compression ratios though, as that an expense that might put people off the conversion, so if it can be cured some other way then thats what they will do.

Im in good hands, these guys really know their stuff and have the top kit.

I was watching keith using the APR tools to flash the software onto the ECU. No soldering required at all by them, and the map is completely loaded in about a minute.

They showed me where Shark had soldered their wires onto the ECU in order for them to start it in boot mode(to bypass the encryption). There are two scorch marks from the soldering iron and a blob of solder. Thats to go along with the 5mm long 2mm deep in the ECU casing from when they removed my ECU cage with an angle grinder :wall:

I'm sure will be impressive once done and an interesting kit once the bugs have been ironed out.

Fair play to you for going the cheaper but more time consuming testing route though. It would do my nut as I'd want to get out there and play! :D

Small update

Finally fitted the Braille battery. I installed it on its side secured top the battery housing with heavy duty velcro. I then installed velcro straps to go over the top. Need a little further work to get it looking smarter. I need to get some different velcro that doesnt have a sticky back. Initially i thought it velcro wasnt going to be enough, but it really really is stuck there as we found out trying to remove it earlier.

So, now with more room in the engine bay, we fitted the VWRacing intake (for the Polo GTI). I could have had the Fabia setup, but im not convinced by where that collects its air feed and think the Polo setup makes more sense.

IMG_20120315_165101.jpg

IMG_20120315_165048.jpg

IMG_20120315_165117.jpg

Whilst i was there i nipped across to MArlin Motorsport to run my car on their dyno to see how the low boost maps are performing.

As said previously the car is running on the BETA test maps. Initial maps were running higher boost of upto 1.8Bar but the DSG kept kicking up a hissy fit because of the torque, so for the time being whilst i need my car we have reduced the boost to much lower levels (lower than a stage 1 1.4TSI with stock turbo!!).

I have 4 maps on my cruise stalk currently with boost outputs ranging from 1.4Bar to 1.48Bar, but each has a different ramping rate and have differing characteristics. For the time being I have chosen to go with the 1.48Bar setup, but with a slower ramp of boost pressure. From the dyno sheets you can see it has a loss of around 20hp in the midrange, however it is much more tractable, whilst also making around 5Hp more than the others.

When my car goes back to APR for the next batch of R&D the plan is to sort the DSG out and then use the turbo to its full potential. I dread to think how much quicker this car would be with another 0.5Bar of boost!!!

So the dyno runs. The dyno operator at Marlin was having a nightmare with my car wheelspinning on the rollers, so we ended up having me and him sat inside and 2 guys sitting on the bonnet lol.

these are the other maps i have on my cruise stalk for use currently.

APRBETAlowboostdifferentramprates011.jpg

This is the map that my car is driving around in currently. Notice the torque is building much smoother.

APRBETAlowboost010.jpg

Look forward to the final figures once the DSG map and full boost is requested!!!!!

Air filter set up looks miles better which i think is the correct way ;) shame we have to upgrade the battery just to get it looking better but like you said where it collected the air from as ITG suggest just seems bizarre

Looking good.

Is that battery secure with just velcro? And are you able to put a guide how to do it? Im sure some folk on here would love to know how to do it. With all that extra space in the engine bay you should be able to get that twin intake on the go with the F shaped stainless steel pipe that was posted on here a while back.

Air filter set up looks miles better which i think is the correct way ;) shame we have to upgrade the battery just to get it looking better but like you said where it collected the air from as ITG suggest just seems bizarre

There is a pocket of air behind the headlight that works as a "ram" effect.

Sy, was it running that power Saturday or has it been tweaked since?

There is a pocket of air behind the headlight that works as a "ram" effect.

Sy, was it running that power Saturday or has it been tweaked since?

totally different setup from saturday. The car was alot quicker on saturday, but the DSG was cutting power and limiting the throttle, so i wasnt getting to use it to its full potential. The 2 symptoms i was getting were

Sympton1: The DSG closes the throttle butterfly from 88% to 45%(half throttle) so i couldnt get it over 4000rpm even if you change gear.

Symptom2: Caused the gearbox to go into safe mode where i couldnt change gears and had to restart the car for it to work again

The car is now running alot less boost, but with no interference from the DSG so i can utilize the full power now. APR estimate another 20-30Hp is achievable from the turbo/engine once the DSG is sorted.

I dont think there is a pocket of air behind that light anymore. Have a look where the duct finishes to the right of the battery. Below that point is the metal base that the battery sits on. On previous cars ive had this has been open all the way down to the fog lights so has had a good high pressure air pocket, but we were discussing this yesterday at VWRacing. We cant see where the feed is from.

Looking good.

Is that battery secure with just velcro? And are you able to put a guide how to do it? Im sure some folk on here would love to know how to do it. With all that extra space in the engine bay you should be able to get that twin intake on the go with the F shaped stainless steel pipe that was posted on here a while back.

TBH a guide is not needed. I just used heavy duty sticky backed velcro on the base of the battery and battery tray. I have also put velcro straps over the battery both directions and as an added safety net i have a cable tie around the entire thing, but tbh the cable tie isnt needed, as it is really stuck in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the battery situation

My battery is one of the really small options, which of course means the Ah rating isnt that high. I was away with work last week for around 7 days and i came back to a battery that was still alive, but with too little juice to start the car. So i now know that if im leaving the car for that period of time then il have to disconnect it to stop it draining slowly. Quick jump start, and ten minute drive and its been fine since.

My friend with his Lotus Exige just connects his car up to a trickle charger and has a plug timer, which comes on every night to keep it charged up.

Next lot of works is inbound.

Well the weather has cleared up, the cold snap has almost gone so i have purchased a set of Federal 595RS-R's. It was raining today and i stuck my foot down and managed to get 5th gear wheels spin!!!! Safe to say the contis are well and truly dead :rofl: I just didnt want to buy a semi slick tyre whilst it was still cold. The RS-R appears to be very highly regarded. Most guys who have used them and the R888s say its easily 90% of the dry grip, with better wet grip, less wear and £50 a corner cheaper. Ive gone for 215/40R17. Stickier tyre plus more width should hopefully sort out my traction issue.

2e79b57d002a9590a584ca3496ad314e.jpg

Also have it booked in for some uprated engine/gearbox mounts, and a Thermostatically controlled 13 Row Mocul Oil cooler.

Car is also booked in for its first service.

Then APR/VWRacing have it for 6 months to go crazy with the map, engine and chassis!!!!

Not until everything else is sorted mate. Ill be asking APR to take it to the pod to test as well. I want to make sure it launches etc with no DSG issues.

Not sure how the review would be mate. My current tyres are DEAD, so i could stick on budget tyres and see an improvment lol.

To be fair to the contis thats a few trackdays, 30+ 1/4 mile runs, lots of logging and 9000 miles. Still above the wear markers as well...just