Skoda indicator stalk left to right conversion

TomAU

It was once the case that indicators were on the correct side depending on the side of the car where the driver sits.

So on the left in left hand drive countries and on the right in right hand drive countries.

This made perfect sense as the indicator was always on the opposite side to the gear lever.

Then the EU happened. So not only did the UK have to only have bananas of a certain size and shape, as well as sending Spain and Portugal lots of money so they could improve their tourism infrastructure so we lost our own internal tourist trade, but we also had to start putting our indicators on the wrong side to suit all the other left hand drive EU countries.

At the same time we were still attempting to build and export cars, and as it's more cost effective to make all steering wheel assemblies the same rather than mirrored, the decision was incorrectly made to make exported cars "correct" and GB cars "wrong".

Many if not all Japanese cars (not part of the EU) still have the indicators for right hand drive cars correctly on the right. Julie's Honda Jazz and my Mazda MX5 are cases in point. This almost stopped me buying a Skoda as we now have 2 out of 3 cars with correct indicators and one incorrect (the Skoda). Only the facts that I have a DSG and like my Superbs and their fantastic value for money and lack of envy factor from my customers, swung it in favour of the better-than-German brand instead of towards something else Japanese.

Does anyone know what happens with indicators in Japanese cars in right hand drive countries? Do they leave them on the same side or make them "correct"?

Personally I have no issue with whatever side they are on. Have driven cars with them on different sides and you get used to it. Worst time I had though was testing a BMW bike with the left indicator on the left bar and the right on the right (sensible yes but also completely different to the norm!).

Not sure if the EU thing is correct as they have to make the cars left or right hand drive depending on the country. Wife's Toyota has the stalk on the left as well, although probably built in the UK rather than Japan.

On the up side it does sound like many of the people on here actually know that their car is fitted with this facility to tell others what you intend to do. Don't see much of it round by me, they either don't use them, leave them on constantly or just indicate right at a roundabout whatever exit they are taking then just dive off when they feel like it!

My Kia Cee'd has the indicators on the right hand stalk. IMO it makes things a bit easier as I can indicate and drop a gear for overtaking at the same time and also begin gear changes coming off roundabouts too. Equally I can drive my wife's Scenic and have no problem with them being on the left.

My Kia Cee'd has the indicators on the right hand stalk. IMO it makes things a bit easier as I can indicate and drop a gear for overtaking at the same time and also begin gear changes coming off roundabouts too.

Exactly and this is why the Yeti sale collapsed. I wanted the manual, but the stalk on the door side.

Exactly and this is why the Yeti sale collapsed. I wanted the manual, but the stalk on the door side.

You cancelled because of that? I would just have learned how to drive properly.

• Like 1

Just think yourself lucky you don't drive an early Citroen BX, the indicator was a huge rocker switch on top of the dashboard :giggle:

(Located on the opposite side to the rear wash/wipe switch in this picture...)

CitroenBXDashboard.jpg

Edited by silver1011

1325799100[/url]' post='2634028']

I'm waiting for someone to say the handbrake being on the wrong side on some fiat/pug/citroën vehicles is a GOOD idea

Better than getting the Americanised foot activated parking brake I have had on hire cars in the US and seems to be drifting across to here!

Better than getting the Americanised foot activated parking brake I have had on hire cars in the US and seems to be drifting across to here!

I would rather have the foot parking brake than the electronic crap that's on the vauxhall insignia, I have one as a courtesy car while my octavia is being repaired and it's crap! I never thought I would dislike a car as much but I do this one. The handbrake is so temperamental and with just 2800 miles on the clock it doesn't sound healthy, being vauxhall it'll probably be knackered in a couple of months.

Face it guys, this is really lazy engineering and skoda lost at least one sale. Consider the isuzu d-max. They move the indicator to the door side depending on which country it is sold. Now that is customer focused. I could image a lawsuit which would force the manufactures to correct their cost savings measure.

BTW at just over 10,000 km our DSG wagon has been faultless.

Edited by TomAU

In my opinion cars are designed left hand drive and the minimum is done to CONVERT them to right hand drive.

Stalk on the wrong side is just the start.

Ventilation systems that clear the RHD passenger side first.

Cast iron engine and driver on the same side on RHD (lateral ballance)

Brake and Clutch master cylinders on the left hand side with remote linkages to the right, and if they are transferred over access to the engine is compromised.

Wipers where the main sweep blade is on the RHD passenger side (not seen for a while now though)

Handbrake lever nearest the RHD passenger (points to Skoda, they do both sides)

My 2p worth.

• 7 months later...

I dropped plans to buy a fabia over a honda jazz just because of placement of the stalks. in fact i once recommend a friend to buy a toyota corolla altis instead of octy for the same reason and he did get the toyota.

I was amazed a few years ago when i saw that even the 7 series bmw had them wrong.

But for the skoda yeti, i got it myself, I resisted over an year for it but finally decided to compromise on the indicators.

Here in india, 3 years ago chevrolet had specially modified the steering collumn of the Cruze to make stalks on the correct side unlike all of its other vehicles.

I wish the conditions change soon, skoda modifies the rear fog light for rhd/lhd countries, even the whole orientation inside is changed, then why cant a small lever be manufactured for rhd countries?

Maybe the only way for now is to get used to it or, find a substitute.

I dropped plans to buy a fabia over a honda jazz just because of placement of the stalks. in fact i once recommend a friend to buy a toyota corolla altis instead of octy for the same reason and he did get the toyota.

I was amazed a few years ago when i saw that even the 7 series bmw had them wrong.

That a bit of a silly reason not to buy a decent car!? It's funny how it's always the cheaper makes that have the indicators on the right hand side and all the mainstream cars have them on the left.

That a bit of a silly reason not to buy a decent car!? It's funny how it's always the cheaper makes that have the indicators on the right hand side and all the mainstream cars have them on the left.

It's normally Japanese cars that have them that was around, but even they are changing these days.

My 2005 Jimny & 2006 Picanto, both autos, have the indicator stalk on the right hand side. (door side)

Almost every other car i have ever kept for any time in 35 years have also had right hand side indicator stalks.

JUmping in one with the stalk on the Left hand side just annoys me soo much..

Skoda is a PITA with them on the left, but i am prepared to forgive it that little error.

I do like my Fuel filler cap to be on the Drivers side of the car..

george

I almost bought a Suzuki with the indicator on the right. It drove me mad when I test drove it. I walked away when my dads mate looked and it and told me the clutch was going

I've found the easiest thin to do is just not indicate though. Loads of people where I live just don't bother, and it's a habbit I've grown into, especially when changing lanes on the motorway

Every car I have owned since I past my test in 1985 has had the indicators on the left side. My dad had one car with the indicators on the right and I found it a pain to drive, always switching on the wipers instead of indicating. That car was japanese (well almost), it was a Suzuki Alto (AKA Marauti Alto). Here in the EU, its more or less accepted that the indicator will be on the left regardless of the side the steering wheel lives.

Despite having a full size indicator stalk I use hand signals and a mop.

Turn right, use right hand to lower right window, stick hand out then reverse procedure.

Turn left, use right hand to lower left window, stick mop out then reverse procedure.

It's a bit trickier if you don't have electric windows as you have to smash the passenger window to get the mop through.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1