yeti lights upgrade

Oilrag

Has anyone fitted these on the 1,2 petrol because it looks like the air filter assembly would require removing to allow access.After spending about 2 hours in total over the past few nights I've come to the conclusion the its a job for a garage to do

All I've done so far is remove old bulb try to fit LED bulb, gave up and refitted the old bulb back in.

Careful with the 19mm socket as I broke a plastic lug off one of the bulbs(replacement bulbs are £20 each)so the broken one will have to fit if a bit lose.

Agree a mirror is helpful and warmer weather would help.

The trouble is its so frustrating, I mean its only swapping a couple of bulbs and a bit of wiring-how hard is that.

Hi, sorry to hear about the hassle you had. Did youu try my tip about the 19mm socket and short extension, it's much easier to fit and remove the bulb with after of course removing the bulb holder first.

Did you use the scotch locks or bullet connectors?

But agree, they do look good.

I used the socket and as per another comment above I also broke one of the plastic tabs from the LED off. Be VERY careful. I was really fed up at that point that I was perhaps a bit too brutal with the socket. BUT it does make fitting it easier.

I bought the eBay connectors listed above but on seeing the limited space there I just used the scotchblocks as they don't involve stripping of wires etc.

Ok here are the pics. The bulb before and this is what the LED looks like after fitting. You don't notice the yellow as they are pretty recessed.

The standard halogen DRLs:

photo04i.jpgphoto05w.jpg

And the new LEDs:

photo06l.jpgphoto07w.jpg

I think the blue LED lights look especially smashing on a blue grey car.

Robin or anyone that has fitted theirs: Can you please take a close-up picture of your LEDs fitted? Or can you tell me which direction the words Benzinfabrik points on the LED once they are properly seated? Thanks.

The standard halogen DRLs:

Surely you mean "the standard filament DRLs"...? :p

I have to say, it does look good but for the sake of a bit of vanity, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. The P13W bulb was especially designed by Phillips as a DRL bulb to last the lifetime of the car (think they quote 80,000 hour life), hence why Audi seal theirs in as it is effectively non-serviceable.

Also, as is common on these "compare and contrast bulbs" pictures, the effects shown are exaggerated by the camera settings. You can see that the colour balance of the first images is more yellow than that of the second lot, exaggerating the difference in apparent colour temperature. If possible when taking these kind of pics, best to set the camera to manual exposure and manual white balance to stop the camera trying to be clever.

Please take this as the ramblings of a pedant (thus my problem, not yours!).

Surely you mean "the standard filament DRLs"...? :p

I have to say, it does look good but for the sake of a bit of vanity, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. The P13W bulb was especially designed by Phillips as a DRL bulb to last the lifetime of the car (think they quote 80,000 hour life), hence why Audi seal theirs in as it is effectively non-serviceable.

Also, as is common on these "compare and contrast bulbs" pictures, the effects shown are exaggerated by the camera settings. You can see that the colour balance of the first images is more yellow than that of the second lot, exaggerating the difference in apparent colour temperature. If possible when taking these kind of pics, best to set the camera to manual exposure and manual white balance to stop the camera trying to be clever.

Please take this as the ramblings of a pedant (thus my problem, not yours!).

:giggle: :giggle: No problem!

The camera was just set to auto to be honest. The sun was out in the first pictures and when done it was cloudy and it had started to rain. :S But believe me even to the naked eye they LED ones shine blue and look great!

The P13W bulb was especially designed by Phillips as a DRL bulb to last the lifetime of the car (think they quote 80,000 hour life), hence why Audi seal theirs in as it is effectively non-serviceable.

Humm??

But when they go before that time, as mine did, you end up with a bit of a battle!!

It ended up being sorted out by a nice man at SUK because my dealer wouldn't!

I am extremely interested in fitting the LED DRL lamps to my Yeti after seeing Johann`s images of before and after, but, I still have some reservations which I am sure some of the forum members will be able to clarify before I bite the bullet and order them..

As this is a Non-Skoda approved item how will fitting the LED lamps and an external resistor dissipating 10 watts of heat affect vehicle warranty?

Are the Benzinfabrik LED lamps TUV approved or certified for use with Skoda?

I would expect legally we need to inform our insurance company, they may regard it as a modification requiring a hike in premium? (Skoda insurance)

Are there any regulations (UK) as regards light output or colour of DRL`s fitted to car?

Del

Have just got round to ordering and noticed NEW models available - bit more cost but supposedly much better so decided to go for. Still need resistor set. Will try let you know when arrive and install although bit aprehensive given recent accounts.

My link

bought on the phone - very helpful.

anybody upgrade any rear light bulbs to LED's on yeti? might consider if does not present issue on regs or annoying other road users. thinking of maybe break lights and reversing light. any suggestions?

Have just got round to ordering and noticed NEW models available - bit more cost but supposedly much better so decided to go for. Still need resistor set. Will try let you know when arrive and install although bit aprehensive given recent accounts.

My link

bought on the phone - very helpful.

anybody upgrade any rear light bulbs to LED's on yeti? might consider if does not present issue on regs or annoying other road users. thinking of maybe break lights and reversing light. any suggestions?

Oilrag your link points to the very same set I bought... so not sure what is new about it?

I am extremely interested in fitting the LED DRL lamps to my Yeti after seeing Johann`s images of before and after, but, I still have some reservations which I am sure some of the forum members will be able to clarify before I bite the bullet and order them..

As this is a Non-Skoda approved item how will fitting the LED lamps and an external resistor dissipating 10 watts of heat affect vehicle warranty?

Are the Benzinfabrik LED lamps TUV approved or certified for use with Skoda?

I would expect legally we need to inform our insurance company, they may regard it as a modification requiring a hike in premium? (Skoda insurance)

Are there any regulations (UK) as regards light output or colour of DRL`s fitted to car?

Del

As far as I'm aware you can do plug and play modifications to the wiring loom on your yeti and not have it effect the warranty but as soon as you cut a wire it then voids the warranty that is the official line i had from sparshatts skoda

http://www.benzinfabrik.de

do search "suche" for article 74 131 "4W LED Spot iMax COB, P13W, daytime running lamp, white"

Ah indeed. They do look different and a bit more "designed" than the one's I've put in! Though as I stated you don't really notice them (when the lights are off and you approach the car).

iMax-COB-LED-Hintergrund-weiss.jpg

74131-P13W-imAx-LED-160.jpg

As far as I'm aware you can do plug and play modifications to the wiring loom on your yeti and not have it effect the warranty but as soon as you cut a wire it then voids the warranty that is the official line i had from sparshatts skoda

Thanks,

the wiring / electrical side was the bit I was concerned about most as it is effectively modified by adding resistors and I think this may give the Skoda agents some "wriggle factor" should there be any electrical or Canbus issues on my Yeti.

I did not want to ask my local dealer the question as they might then be alerted to what I was proposing at this time and I needed to think out all the options first.

There seem to be quite a few P13W LED lamp options appearing on different websites and even a second option now on the Benzinfabric site. Some are even claiming (probably incorrectly) to be Canbus compatible so difficult to decide which options may be best.

I think I will continue to "monitor" the situation for a while to see if some genuine plug-and-play P13W LED lamps become available without the need for external resistors or additions to existing wiring.

The Blue/white options do look good though and my Yeti is the same colour as Johann`s so his images give an excellent idea of how they would look on my car..

If you use the scotchblocks that came with the Benzinfabrik LEDs you are just clamping around the existing wiring. I did not cut a single wire on my car doing this modification. Yes, it makes a hole in the wire but it does not cut them! :giggle:

Robin, many thanks for pioneering this DRL upgrade. Much better than the Camaro-bulb option I looked at a year ago!

Two questions for you though:

I presume the bulbs are not CE marked, so what do you think the legality of this mod is? Imagine you have a bump and a clever lawer spots you've modified the DRLs and the other driver claims he was dazzled or something...... :-(

Secondly, when the DRL's are off do the bulbs stand out like a dogs whatsit? Have you got pics of the light housings when the DRLs are not lit? (Even those blue pretend zenon bulbs can make a light fitting look all blue and ugly when the bulb is not lit).

Thanks!

Secondly, when the DRL's are off do the bulbs stand out like a dogs whatsit? Have you got pics of the light housings when the DRLs are not lit? (Even those blue pretend zenon bulbs can make a light fitting look all blue and ugly when the bulb is not lit).

Thanks!

I've posted a picture of them fitted with the lights off. Just click on the word "after" above the four pics of my car. I've also stated you don't notice them.......... :giggle: In this post:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/218300-yeti-lights-upgrade/page__view__findpost__p__2615991

...and I've advised my insurers. Noted but no premium increase. Brighter than original for sure - but not dazzlingly so.

Nothing as garish as the Citroen Christmas trees!

Actually there's room for the resistor inside the light cavity!

Thanks for the replies folks.

Robin, did you manage to get the resistors inside the light cavity (i.e. behind the rubber cover) as you suggested before? If you did, any issues from the heat?

In fact I threaded them through the rubber cover and secured them (on the inside) with small zip-ties.

Sealed the gaps around the holes with silicone to keep inside the nacelle dry.

Not in the way of anything else there and neater than the Benzinfabrik location.

In fact I threaded them through the rubber cover and secured them (on the inside) with small zip-ties.

Sealed the gaps around the holes with silicone to keep inside the nacelle dry.

Not in the way of anything else there and neater than the Benzinfabrik location.

Robin did you see my request above for a photo showing which way the words Benzinfabrik point when the bulb is properly seated? Thanks.

Bear with me, Johann - might be a day or so before I can get back to you - the car and I are 100 miles apart!

:giggle: Ah yes... that is a problem then Houston! hehehe No worries. No rush. I just thought you did not see it! :giggle:

Talk about remote interfaces!

Got Chris to pop out with a torch - SHE SAYS: ten to!

I'll confirm in a day or so :giggle:

(Not that SWMBO is EVER wrong) :rofl: