yeti lights upgrade

Oilrag

Talk about remote interfaces!

Got Chris to pop out with a torch - SHE SAYS: ten to!

I'll confirm in a day or so :giggle:

(Not that SWMBO is EVER wrong) :rofl:

Bless! Might that be ten to twelve? Ten to three? Or just all around "ten to"? :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

What a PIG of a job. I will never ever, ever, ever do this again. The new bulbs don't want to properly engage and I've given up trying. They still move a bit but I lost the will to live and they are as they are.

They do look good though. But for that blue glow the amount of agro to get it all done is not worth it. No way. Oh well. Lesson learnt. Next time I'll get someone to do it for me. I just hope I did not break the headlights.

I've plucked up enough courage to attempt to put :LED bulbs in the DRLs tomorrow (New Year's Day) so lets hope it goes better than Johann's installation - I'm 6' 5 1/2" with shovel hands! :dull:

I've plucked up enough courage to attempt to put :LED bulbs in the DRLs tomorrow (New Year's Day) so lets hope it goes better than Johann's installation - I'm 6' 5 1/2" with shovel hands! :dull:

And a hangover :wonder: do it on Monday :giggle:

Good luck, Sandy :thumbup:

One way of kick starting 2012!

Okay, fell at the first hurdle:

1. Rubber cap off - no problem

2. Twisted bulb unit and lifted out of fittng - no problem

Does the plug just pull out from the bottom of the bulb or is there a clip to undo? :|

I am minded that Johann broke a plastic clip and my idea of tightening up a nut is usually stripping the thread!! :p

I have therefor paused on the side of caution and await a reply while I chomp away on a New Year's Day bacon and egg butty and keep the Grandson amused (we were on Grandson sittng duties last night!!). :party: :no:

Okay, fell at the first hurdle:

1. Rubber cap off - no problem

2. Twisted bulb unit and lifted out of fittng - no problem

Does the plug just pull out from the bottom of the bulb or is there a clip to undo? :|

I am minded that Johann broke a plastic clip and my idea of tightening up a nut is usually stripping the thread!! :p

I have therefor paused on the side of caution and await a reply while I chomp away on a New Year's Day bacon and egg butty and keep the Grandson amused (we were on Grandson sittng duties last night!!). :party: :no:

Sussed it! There is a 'pushy' thing at the bottom of the socket which clamps the bulb in - have now done one after I realised the pins on the LED bulbs are about .5cm longer than in the OE bulb which stops the LED bulbs seating all the way down propely in the socket. :no:

Am now going to give the second one a go although I think it feels like there's less room for my 'shovels' to get in and do the job - at least I've got one of them working! :thumbup:

Sussed it! There is a 'pushy' thing at the bottom of the socket which clamps the bulb in - have now done one after I realised the pins on the LED bulbs are about .5cm longer than in the OE bulb which stops the LED bulbs seating all the way down propely in the socket. :no:

Am now going to give the second one a go although I think it feels like there's less room for my 'shovels' to get in and do the job - at least I've got one of them working! :thumbup:

Whey hey - done it, they look great and I'm well chuffed with myself! :thumbup:

Bulbs/sockets twisted back into the socket - the only hard bit was trying to scotchlock those flipping wires - big hands and small working area isn't good. One piece of advice is don't drop a scotchlock in the engine compartment cos you will never see it again - I certainly didn't and had to scratch around the garage looking for another one! :doh:

All in all, I'm not into the mechanical side of things and I'm useless at DIY, so I'm really pleased with what I've acheived.

Happy New Year :party:

All the best for the new year Sandy, Glad you managed to complete the task in hand with a hangover :rofl: lol. Im going to order a set myself and also upgrade the fog lamp bulbs to a whiter light.

Do the new bulbs feel seated properly or is it a case of hope for the best :D ...

I was sent one of those plates which has now gone to an engineering company in the Black Country, for them to have a look at and possibly modify. However the one I had was for 2 lights, as an odd number is illegal in the UK.

Graham, kept meaning to mail you to find out how you'd gone on with that 2st plate from Mekonomen.

Anyway there is a more expensive solution here http://www.qpax.se/shop/?artnr=Q900175

with some mounting instructions and an exploded parts diagram here http://qpax.e-butik.se/FTP/pdf/93082.pdf

3570 sek though ~350 gbp :o

Now 3 lights or 2? The belief that are only legal when fitted in even numbers is, as discussed a year ago, completely incorrect, but is a common belief.

See RVLR Part II 18 Obligatory lamps and 20 Optional lamps. also Schedule 5 parts I and II http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/5/made

It's true that obligatory main beam lights have to be fitted in matched pairs, however for optional main beam lamps, which covers auxiliaries, then Part II of schedule 5 applies.

SCHEDULE 5

PART II

Requirements relating to optional main-beam headlamps

Any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 7, 10 and 12(a) of Part I and, in the case of a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1991, paragraph 5 of Part I.

Those referenced paragraphs cover as follows

para 5 Required Approval markings

Para 7 Colour white or yellow

Para 10 Electrical connections–

(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the light emitted therefrom–

(i)can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam, or

(ii)can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either–

(A)causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or

(B)causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam.

(b ) Where a matched pair of main-beam headlamps is fitted they shall be capable of being switched on and off simultaneously and not otherwise.

And finally 12a)Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the direction of the beam of light emitted therefrom can be adjusted whilst the vehicle is stationary.

NOTE!!! Para 12 b ) does NOT apply to optional main beam headlamps.

12 b)Except in the case of a bus first used before 1st October 1969, where two main-beam headlamps are required to be fitted they shall form a matched pair.

All the best for the new year Sandy, Glad you managed to complete the task in hand with a hangover :rofl: lol. Im going to order a set myself and also upgrade the fog lamp bulbs to a whiter light.

Do the new bulbs feel seated properly or is it a case of hope for the best :D ...

As mentioned previously the pins in the LEDs are a bit longer than the OE bulbs which is not too much of a problem because the bulbs are actually kept in the socket by a little clamp thing at the bottom of the bulb socket which you have to squeeze in to release/lock the bulb. The bulb and socket fitted into the light housing with a little bit of jiggling - it felt slightly looser than when I took it out but I have no concerns about it working loose.

I did panick when the lights didn't work but quickly realised I had the light switch on auto and the car was in the garage which is a bit dark - switched off the lights and wallah, everything works honky dorey! :thumbup:

I'm alsi looking to upgrade the fog lights but I'm looking for brighter yellow bulbs

Graham, kept meaning to mail you to find out how you'd gone on with that 2st plate from Mekonomen.

The plate is currently at a workshop in the Black Country being looked at. We tried fitting it but found a few problems. I don't know what Hella made it of, but it needed a curve introducing for it to fit behind the front number plate, and it is VERY difficult to bend smoothly. It alos put the small Hella lamps had well out in front of the bumper, so leaving them open to bashing very easily. We are looking at getting a curved plate with the lamp mountings higher and facing inwards so the lights are behind the bumper line.

In the meantime I am also looking at a simple bracket that fits to the slam panel and comes out so the lamps can be pendant mounted.

With reference to the Lighting Regs, agreed it doesn't say matched pairs but 3 would be too close together on the dimensions!

The plate is currently at a workshop in the Black Country being looked at. We tried fitting it but found a few problems. I don't know what Hella made it of, but it needed a curve introducing for it to fit behind the front number plate, and it is VERY difficult to bend smoothly. It alos put the small Hella lamps had well out in front of the bumper, so leaving them open to bashing very easily. We are looking at getting a curved plate with the lamp mountings higher and facing inwards so the lights are behind the bumper line.

In the meantime I am also looking at a simple bracket that fits to the slam panel and comes out so the lamps can be pendant mounted.

Yes agreed that this plate behind the number plate solution does leave the lights hanging out well in front.

This shot shows a couple of Hella Luminator LED Spots on the front of the test Yeti.

extraljus_test_2011_p1.jpg

extraljus_test_2011_01.jpg

Edited by St?lmunk

They are LED, about 550 gbp each lamp though. :rofl:

http://hella-online.code-x.de/uploads/anhaenge/225_1/J00227_KurzInfo_Luminator_LED_GB.pdf

The report where the test was done is in Swedish but the charts of light output and spread are fairly illuminating. (ouch)

http://www.vibilagare.se/sites/default/files/vibilagare/documents/test_extra_ljus_2011_01.pdf

Basically the report shows those named in red are products new to market, the ones in black are market leaders in sales volume.

Test covers different light sources named under Glödlampa, halogen bulbs eg H1, H3, H7, H11, then Xenon HID D1S, and LED "tre lysdioder."

The normal light measurements were done and then mounted on the Yeti for a real life comparison. Quote "And when the LED came on our Skoda Yeti, which is equipped with xenon in the mid-and high beam (BiXenon), there was a mild shock to discover that the little of xenon light that appeared on the main beam is perceived as yellowish compared to LED lamp's bright white light."

The conclusion seems to be a bit strange and confused to me.

One the one hand some truckers and some Northern taxi and couriers are using auxiliary HIDs now, and of course rally cars too. But there is the problem that the typical life of 3000 hours is reduced by the constant stop starts due to dipping.

The article starts off arguing that the life of the LEDS should be good for 20,000 hours, and thus whilst the initial capital cost, at the moment is barmy, the overall operating cost for long distance very heavy users maybe at a stretch is offset over many miles.

All fair enough but in my opinion you have to be very long distance driver to need more output than you can get even with just a pair of lights spreading out over the verges and picking up wildlife and unlit cyclists.

Which seems to be the final conclusion of the article, ie a couple of cheap short range lights, and only if you are trucker in the North, or maybe rallying, and if you really must ahve more light then go for a cheap Strand Kiruna xenon for a very intense braod beam, even so 150 quid plus per lamp.

If anyone wants an English translation can PM.

I think I'll stick with these:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://76.my/Malaysia/original-hella-comet-500-0801-08-chyee1986%4011.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lelong.com.my/original-hella-comet-500-70173707-2010-10-Sale-P.htm&h=502&w=737&sz=61&tbnid=aMUDVbyutjRgCM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhella%2Bcomet%2B500%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=hella+comet+500&docid=vB-p8E5eO2Jh0M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qgYDT_uqJMLv8AODmpzyAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGYQ9QEwBA&dur=5542

I shudder to think how much those LED spots must cost, and to be honest, I much prefer a Driving Light pattern to a spot.

I was going to go out today and have a fiddle with some thin ali bar, but I wouldn't want to leave the bonnet up for long with the wind we've been having, plus the hail hurts!!

I was going to go out today and have a fiddle with some thin ali bar, but I wouldn't want to leave the bonnet up for long with the wind we've been having, plus the hail hurts!!

102 Mph wind here with snow as well, too many roof tiles and wheelie bins flying around to go out and fiddle with a car today! :giggle:

If someone is interested in a one year old finnish high beam test (50 lights, no LEDs), you can download PDF from here: My link. Damn, now I'd really like to see Hella Comet 200 Xenons in my car. They have a really good light pattern in their own size group (and low weight).

• 1 month later...

Well the Car Mod ones I received certainly wouldn't fit for the reasons set out above, we further learn from Anzio that having got his pair to fit, they still produce an error message.

So they get returned for a refund, since they do not do what the advert claims.

The Benzinfabrik sets that some of us have bought do work and don't produce an error warning; the downside is that they have separate resistors, which have to be wired in. The attraction of the Car Mod ones was that they were claimed to have resistors built in, but clearly not effectively enough to avoid the 'bulb out' warning

The resistors supplied with the Benzinfabrik kit are not small as the attached pic shows.

I'm very happy with the outcome - and the cost is less than replacement standard glow worms :)

Hi ,when you did yours, does it matter which wire the brown and yellow resistor wires attach to? Only now getting round to doing mine again,after the first ones worked but brought up the bulb fail message. What I'm getting at is, is there a current IN and OUT for the resistor?

Hi ,when you did yours, does it matter which wire the brown and yellow resistor wires attach to? Only now getting round to doing mine again,after the first ones worked but brought up the bulb fail message. What I'm getting at is, is there a current IN and OUT for the resistor?

Shouldn't make any difference, resistors are very forgiving. :giggle:

Fred