Project wrc wannabe

dsmithmobile

Well nothing's happened since I ventured out to elsecar,I came back and parked it up and not moved it since and don't know when it will move again at the moment as no immediate plans to go anywhere but thought I'd pop this pic in as it was sent to me a few days after the show

11117148_1421819461466229_229188085_n.jp

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi, love the pictures and what you've done.

Just wanted to know how easy or difficult painting the engine cover was, mainly because of all the small holes at the bottom of the plastic?

Also, how exactly did you polish the inlet manifold and is it possible to do it while it's still on the car as mines in daily use?

DSC02545.jpgDSC02546.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, love the pictures and what you've done.

Just wanted to know how easy or difficult painting the engine cover was, mainly because of all the small holes at the bottom of the plastic?

Also, how exactly did you polish the inlet manifold and is it possible to do it while it's still on the car as mines in daily use?DSC02545.jpgDSC02546.jpg

Don't know about the engine covers as a friend of mine painted them years ago but I'm sure anybody who works in a body shop would be able to advise you but they have lasted well :) and yes you can polish the manifold in place but you would probably only really be able to do the main part,you could always buy a spare one and get it polished up and then just swap it over though.

• Like 1

Check out some polishing guides on the net but you generally start off quite course with the sanding and then go through the stages of getting finer and finer and the finer you go before polishing will determine how good it turns out :)

Not sure to be honest,I did mine with some different grades of sandpaper,can't remember exactly but probably started with some 180 to take the texture off it a bit and then worked my way up through different grades and finished with some 2000 then used a polishing mop on a drill.I'm no expert and that was just the method I used but if you Google polishing techniques or something then that may give you a better and more definitive answer.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

Yes the skoda still a garden ornament lol

Was going to use it more this year but never panned out that way,re tax'd it earlier in the year and went to Elsecar show but brought it home and parked it up and haven't moved it since,mot ran out in July and couldn't be bothered to re mot it so sorn'd it aswell and that's how it currently stands.

Still get ideas about doing more to it but don't have any motivation,time or money at the moment,did recently consider painting it white and painting the wheels white and if I did then i'd also consider stickering it up like the old rally car for a bit of fun :) but for now it can sit there and do nothing.

So your considering a return to the skoda fold then :) fancy a mk2 estate?

And I was speaking to your wife last night and she mentioned the dog to us :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well today i had some time on my hands so decided to start to change car white :peek:

i've always liked the white wrc octavias and wondered what mine could look like,so as i don't care about the car and don't have to worry about selling it on,i got out the rattle cans out  :rofl:

paintwork will never be great so no real care taken,masked off bits here and there and removed rear lights,spoiler etc 

just wanted to get some paint on it to see what it looks like  :p

heres where its at

DSC_0794.jpg

no real timescale to get it done,just going to do bits and pieces when i get some free time but plan will be to get the car white to see how it looks,then think i will do wheels white and see how i feel about it as i like the look of white wheels on white cars :happy:

and at that point it will leave me with the descision wether to leave it like that or to sticker it up.

don't know why i bother to be honest as i can't really be bothered with cars and i'll be suprised if it sees the road anytime soon but things like this happen when i get spare time on my hands and i look for things to do  :D

• Like 2

Well today i had some time on my hands so decided to start to change car white :peek:

i've always liked the white wrc octavias and wondered what mine could look like,so as i don't care about the car and don't have to worry about selling it on,i got out the rattle cans out :rofl:

paintwork will never be great so no real care taken,masked off bits here and there and removed rear lights,spoiler etc

just wanted to get some paint on it to see what it looks like :p

heres where its at

DSC_0794.jpg

OH... MY ... GOD!

In all honesty though, I was looking at the original WRC cars on you tube the other night. A full on rep would look cool.

Got me wondering though why the VRS's were never 4x4.

I fancy buying a base model black 4x4 and transfering all my vrs stuff over, maybe one day.

Edited by Paul thornton
  • Like 1

Cheers guys and still not decided 100% on what I'll do,it could end up been white on white like the old test cars for a while but if I do sticker it up I'll go the whole hog with all the sponsors etc.

it's not going to be a full on replica,probably just the ott look it has now but white with stickers :)

And get it done Paul,sounds like a good plan :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

keep the canards mate, look great with black details on the front, thinkin would the arches look better black?

Cheers Ken,

Still not sure,I like the canards as there a bit different for a skoda but we'll see :)

and the black details were in my thoughts and I did think about black arches but wasn't sure but then thought about breaking it up with black sealer between body and arch or even black self tapers holding them on but for now everything is white.

• Like 1

Cheers Rob :)

And yes Paul when I go down the route of stickering it up I will swap out the spoiler for the wrc rep as it will tie in more :)

And headlights haven't changed,I think it's just that they blended in better when the car was completely black and now with it been white they look really dark.

they don't need to be blacked out now but as there painted inside there ain't much I can do,would look better with some standards which I will probably get when it gets stickered up.