Project wrc wannabe

dsmithmobile

Your not helping lee lol but I really do feel like a change but think I'm going to have keep it for now and do the cam belt for the time been as with my luck it will let go and I need it for my 60 mile daily round trip commute and as I've been in and out of work a few times over the last few years and i'm on a short term contract till march then I'm not keen at the minute on getting a loan for a car that i want as mortgage etc has to take priority and even when I do change i will try my hardest to not spend money on modifying it as at 34 I'm too old for it now :(

I'm too old for any modified car lee lol but for the time been I'll have to look like I'm having a mid life crisis driving a chav car but I'll get over it haha

well I'll have to for now cos to get the car I want in the spec I want I'll need to get a loan and I'm not keen on going for one with the uncertainty in my current temporary contract job,plus the wages are crap and with the mrs on maternity leave they have to stretch a long way paying for everything so i'll keep running the octy until I can get a loan for the BMW I want and then when i do i'll just leave it standard as I've lost interest in cars nowadays anyway :)

And Clive there are some great bmw's out there but to be honest when I get one then I wont be chasing power,just diesel economy and a comfortable ride will be nice :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well seen as though it's gonna have to stay for the foreseeable future I've decided to fix some of its problems :)

I removed all the trims,carpets and soundproofing seen as though it's soaked but put the seats back in so it's still drivable to get to work and hopefully I'll be able to see where the leak is coming from soon :)

I've replaced the faulty rear door motor so i can get the kids in easier which is good.

I did the cam belt,auxiliary belt and water pump last weekend but whilst the engine cover was off i noticed the y rocker breather was split so have ordered a silicone replacement which will hopefully be here soon ????

And this weekend I've got an ebay de cat pipe to go on and a o/s steering rack arm and track rod end then over the next couple of weeks whilst I'm off work I've got to pop to see a friend and get a tyre put on that's been lying around for a while now and get him to do the tracking :)

So fingers crossed after doing these jobs on it I'll get some love back for it cos currently I only look at it as a mode of transport :(

Well seen as though it's gonna have to stay for the foreseeable future I've decided to fix some of its problems :)

I removed all the trims,carpets and soundproofing seen as though it's soaked but put the seats back in so it's still drivable to get to work and hopefully I'll be able to see where the leak is coming from soon :)

I've replaced the faulty rear door motor so i can get the kids in easier which is good.

I did the cam belt,auxiliary belt and water pump last weekend but whilst the engine cover was off i noticed the y rocker breather was split so have ordered a silicone replacement which will hopefully be here soon ????

And this weekend I've got an ebay de cat pipe to go on and a o/s steering rack arm and track rod end then over the next couple of weeks whilst I'm off work I've got to pop to see a friend and get a tyre put on that's been lying around for a while now and get him to do the tracking :)

So fingers crossed after doing these jobs on it I'll get some love back for it cos currently I only look at it as a mode of transport :(

always the best feeling when you bring your car back to life! especially if you do all the work.. will be worth it in the end :)

Got some of the jobs done yesterday,put the de cat on which I was looking forward to doing as the blowing flexi on my blueflame dp cat was getting tiresome but although it sounds a bit louder I put that down to having no carpets or soundproofing fitted at the minute :)

Got the steering rack arm and track rod end fitted and then got new tire fitted and tracking adjusted which feels so much better now :)

Fitted the creation motorsports silicone rocker breather which fit really well :)

And whilst the car was up in the air I straightend the sills as best I could but to be honest there pretty crushed in places but whilst doing so I noticed the inner and outer sill on the drivers side front had pulled apart slightly so had it welded up and gave it a good undersealing

So next up is finding the interior leaks and sealing them up and once I feel it's no longer leaking I think i'm going to get a black carpet to go back in and then get some money together to do the solid flywheel and clutch conversion as the slipping is getting worse and also need to put a new subframe in as it's pretty worn from kissing the Tarmac lol

Edited by dsmithmobile

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Lloyd :)

Well at the weekend I had a go at sorting out its leak inside by getting the sealer gun out lol

I removed the pollen filter housing and put a bead underneath and also sealed around the grommets and around the bonnet release cable :)

and then i had a look around and found the door wiring grommet on the n/s/r door was not clipped in as the clip was broken so just sealed it in and also found the tailgate lifter mounts were loose so tightened them up and put sealer around a few other areas known for leaks so I'll see how it holds up :)

I also cleaned the sunroof drains out and noticed the next day when pouring water over it that the n/s/f door rubber was letting water in,it appears to be quite squashed and they are known to be problematic so as a bodge I put a small slit in the rubber at the bottom and then greased up some aerial coax I had lying about and fed it into the door rubber to pack it out so I'll try pouring water over it again at the weekend and see if it's worked or not :)

Looking forward to getting it leak free so I can get soundproofing and carpets back in

And as there's been no pics for a while then here's a couple of crappy iPhone pics to show the dirtiness as its been neglected for months lol

615206C9-4601-4894-A575-CA56C728A67C-7691-000013FF3F32BD05.jpg

FFAE7620-972E-4813-B014-CD756497A62A-7691-000013FFB0290ABA.jpg

Edited by dsmithmobile

Looks cool!

Mine used to leak water into one of the rear footwells.

Turned out to be the inner door plastic (behind the panel) was damaged by the people who tinted the windows and it was pouring in from there.

Replaced it. No more leaks and this is going back a good 7 years ago.

Cheers Paul,I checked the door membranes a while back when i had the door cards off and they needed a couple of repairs :)

And I didn't put pics in here to detail why the door cards were off but basically a few years ago I had the seat centres and door cards re trimmed in grey leather but due to neglect from me they were starting to look tired so I decided to set about dying them black :)

they've gone ok but a bit shinier than I was after but they'll do,I also added green stitching by just looping through the existing stitching :D

here's a couple of iPhone pics so excuse the quality but can never be bothered to dig the camera out nowadays :(

EC75B092-CB5A-4AAE-BFF6-F54D4A15F37A-2906-000005B8068F4F00.jpg

92A515B1-C490-4E4C-8274-C52B12C2A4AE-2906-000005B7E7ECAD76.jpg

That's on my list of things to do this Year. Make the interior 'normal', sick to death of the White always looking dirty so black carpet it is and redo the door cards and seat centres in leather like Yours. Also there's a company not far from me who make replica VRS mats in all black rather than having the White trim.

• 4 weeks later...

It was probably me Dazza :)

and small update,i had a number of green led's kicking about for a while and didn't really have a use for them so had a think about what i could use them for so decided to look at illuminating the vent adjusters but couldn't illuminate the adjuster itself so decided to bond the led's in behind the adjusters to backlight them,probably not to everyones taste but i felt like doing something a bit different,colour aint a perfect match but then neither are my gauges so i'll get by :)

here's a couple of pics,not the best quality but you get the idea

DSC_1215_zps89f2d1e5.jpg

DSC_1234_zpsfae22141.jpg

DSC_1245_zpsceaa437d.jpg

I also made a little panel to fit in the dash were the ashtray was as i used to have my volt gauge in the ashtray with the alarm led and valet switch and the lid is broken now and to be fair the lid was always open all the time so rather than replace it i've just made a panel to fit and re fitted the gauge,led and valet switch,its not finished yet and will probably paint it matt black like my other dash trims for now but in the future i plan to either trim the dash trim panels with alcantara and do the armrest lid too or might get the centre dash trims flocked :)

no lee,reckon I'm stuck with the octy for a good while longer as I'm still only in temporary work and until I get a permanent job with more cash then I can't afford to change as my outgoings take up most of my wages but when things get better I'm still thinking E60 5 series as the next motor :)