Peoples ancient attitude to Skoda

jonny boy

I've read loads of independant reviews about the VRS over the past month or so.

I'd say that nearly all of them give the Fabia the credit it clearly deserves and also point out the obvious not so good things that it has. Fair enough, like any car.

Trouble is though, soon as this moves onto the motoring forums when the Fabia is put head to head with some of its rivals (the Alfa Romeo Mito comes to mind) that's when the Skoda jokes start to raise their ugly head :yawn:

One poster for example mentioned of the sheer embarrassment an owner of a Skoda would have if their car was mentioned over a tannoy in a public place !

The badge snobbery will never go I feel even though Skoda is a very much established and respected brand amongst the 'real' motoring experts.

My advice to anyone reading this post and in 2 minds about the VRS is to first test drive the car and then read the proper reviews for a car that is clearly a good one. Just don't delve into the backstabbing competitors forums as this may sway your judgement. Take it with a pinch of salt though :giggle:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is the amount of vehicles on the hard shoulder broken down are always something other than a skoda, I always have a smile on my face also there is a hell of a lot less snobbery these days, the shyt was started by the uk car manufacturers in the 70 s as they new how good the skoda really was ;)

I have to admit I see or hear very little of it in the real world.

Nearly everyone who passes comment on my car thinks its briiliant, not that mines any more special. They always comment on how carp they USED to be.

Well to be honest I have own estelles and rapides and I loved them, very Porsche like ( engine in the back and rear wheel drive) very basic but a great little cars ;)

Well to be honest I have own estelles and rapides and I loved them, very Porsche like ( engine in the back and rear wheel drive) very basic but a great little cars ;)

Hey I like them too! but unfortunately they weren't to many peoples tastes!

Those that enjoy cars and are knowledgeable on the subject have known for some time that Skoda are now as good as anything in a similar category. Badge snobbery is rife in the UK, so anyone paying an extra £5K and more for an equivalent Audi, BMW, Merc or Alfa is going to use any put down they can in order to justify their expenditure. In addition a large portion of the public don't give a monkeys about cars and hence only remember the old Skoda jokes. Mud sticks.

Only negative comments I've had are from two people that drive hairdressers' motors - a guy who's got a Scirocco and a woman who's got a Merc SLK.

Chap who owns the Scirocco says he's too image conscious to drive a Skoda :giggle: . Mind you, he knows absolutely nowt about motors - he's got the 1.4TSI - when I asked him if he'd any problems with oil consumption he told me he's never checked the oil level in any car he's had - leaves it to the garage at service time!!

He paid about 20 grand for his Scirocco - for considerably less I've got a far better equiped car (his doesn't even have the multi-function steering wheel) with an extra 20bhp.

I don't give a **** what other people think - I like Skodas and that's all that matters to me.

Edited by Wee Bri

My nephew ( Audi A4 estate ) was zapped when he tried Skoda Superb 170 diesel estate. Then he took a look at the price and was amazed at the kit in a car £6500 cheaper. Times change!!

I'm just as satisfied with my Fabia - reliable . comfortable and 42 MPG (1.6 petrol)

Alfa Romeo? I wouldn't own one if somebody else was paying.

BMW /Mercedes I have owned them both, they are good but not that good and a fortune to run.

Audi, what is the point, it's just an expensive VW?

I have got lots of snob friends. All Audi and Vw drivers. They were all quietly gutted when they went in my wifes fabia sport and then my superb elegance. I over heard my best friend saying to his wife "it's very good, I hate to say it". He drives a scirroco, it's an expensive, ugly golf!!

I still get a buzz out of exceeding expectations with my "taxis"!!

Only seem to get the attitude on forums to be honest. everyone who has seen my car has commented (without me mentioning the car) on how nice it is, how things have changed, they are good nowadays etc etc.

Have to defend the Scirroco though as i will be looking for one of them to replace swmbo'd Bora next year (or a TT). Not because of badge snobbery but we both like the look of them, and want a car that is a bit of fun (hoping to get an R if its the right price). Skoda don't do anything like this, but if they did i would be first in the queue.

I now have Audi because the lease residuals on them make it cheaper to lease them for business. The bigger Skodas have truly shocking residuals. Fabias and Yetis are fine, but the Octavias and Superbs are like ripping up £5 notes and burning them, the depreciation is so awful.

There is still a lot of ignorance about the Skoda brand, but of you can get someone in the car it melts away very quickly.

I now have Audi because the lease residuals on them make it cheaper to lease them for business. The bigger Skodas have truly shocking residuals. Fabias and Yetis are fine, but the Octavias and Superbs are like ripping up £5 notes and burning them, the depreciation is so awful.

There is still a lot of ignorance about the Skoda brand, but of you can get someone in the car it melts away very quickly.

Except the depreciation isn't at all bad. It is in fact better than the Golf on mine......The 6 month+ waiting lists help.

i run a 2002 mk1 1.4 mpi which i had bought from my cousin fro 5k Euros (4,5k uk dollars?) i insure it fully comprehensive on my father for 350 euros at age 18.

a friend of mine bought a 1996 civic for 6.3k euros 1.4l 90 bhp? which is about the same as mine since mine is chipped and have an exhaust. his insurance age 18 on his father is twice as mine and its third party and not fully comprehensive like mine. TBH i would never spend this much money on a 17 yr old car cause its a honda... and it doesnt even have a 1.6ltr vtec which still run less than 120 bhp (still cant figure our what all this hype is about)

another friend of mine told me to get a better car, he has a 1.7 ltr turbo diesel izusu, we raced guess who won? the thing is his acceleration was not faster than mine even though its a diesel..

my point is that i dont see why skodas are mocked at... when ppl buy 15+ yr old hondas for a ridiculous amount of money while the skoda is a much better option (not to mentions those 1996 hondas are damn ugly).

I have more stories if you'd like lol the thing is that I have never had any troubles with my skoda what so ever even though they are crap :giggle:

fabiajt.jpg

i have replaced the front grill with the oem one now though

Im just waiting to finish my degree then i can hopefully buy my vrs ;)

Edited by 1.4 To vRS

As ChrisR has said I too used to have a civic and have had a bit of stick from people there. My friend went to work at another office a few weeks ago and met someone who we'd previously seen on a civic meet. When my friend told her that i now had the fabia vrs she turned her nose up and screwed up her face (i was never really overly happy with the civic tbh) but that's the stigma right there!

I love the skoda brand I've even managed to convince my father who wasn't happy when I ordered! It's the best car I've ever owned and it's the one that brings the biggest smile to my face. I love the look on peoples faces when I put my foot down it's great!

Also on another point that dumbfounds my father it also seems to get the most attention of any car I've ever owned! :thumbup:

Yes.

:rofl: @ Sam.

Clearly you should have just bought her a Skoda 32k. Worked for me.

Now my wife wouldn't have anything else other than her Yeti.

I asked what she wanted to replace it, and we've got a higher spec one of the same make, model and colour on order... :giggle:

As said by 32k further up the thread, people wheel out the old Skoda jokes on a forum when they are in danger of losing the argument and feel the need to revert to old stereotypes, because if they remain debating actual facts of cost, value for money and customer satisfaction surveys they are going to lose.

I'd rather drive a Skoda than push an Alfa.

I have recently changed from an Audi A4 to a Superb Estate - all my colleagues have been eyeing up BMWs and VW Passats. I was the first to get my car changed and now they all can't believe just (a) how much space there is in the Superb, (B) how much kit you get for your money and © how well put together it is. Me thinks I will get the last laugh!

My boss has an A6 and hates it - it's properly falling apart after 125k and as the driving position is slightly offset he has terrible problem with his back.

Another colleague openly admitted that his wife wanted something with a decent badge (ala BMW, Audi) to sit on the drive - he wanted a Superb. Talk about badge snobbery.

Doesn't bother me at all.