Oil light flashing (again) ...

Rip

(New member - originally posted in 'Introductions' - oooops!). Trying again -

I have a delightful Fabia Comfort 16v (petrol), 72000 miles first registered 2002. Due its MoT, last month, I took it to a local dealer (previously a Skoda dealer but no longer - it was the dealer where I had purchased the car approx two years ago). The dealer was offering an MoT / service deal and I took him up on it. The car sailed thru' its test and, after it had been serviced, I drove it home (about half a mile from the dealer's). I hardly use the car and it was then left parked up for a couple of weeks. Two weeks after the MoT/service I set off on a local journey and, within a couple of miles, the oil light came on and started flashing (there's plenty of oil). I returned the car to the dealer. Two days later the dealer 'phoned and told me that they couldn't identify this (coincidental) fault. They suggested that I allow them to take the head off so that they could have a better look. I would be responsible for all labour and parts and a cure was not guaranteed. I haven't yet made a decision. Another dealer gave me free advice over the 'phone and suggested that as the car was OK pre service then he suspected the car had been filled with cheap / wrong viscosity oil. I am not trying to 'sort out' the dealer - little chance. I just want to sort out the car. Sorry for going on - any suggestions?

I've just bought a fabia 1.4 8v and had the oil light come on

it turned out to be the oil pressure sensor/switch

i had mine done under warranty so could tell you the cost

so far after a week everything seems good with my car now

hope it helps and its cheaper than having a look at the head

Sorry to jump on this thread, but SWMBO fabia 1.4 16v has a fault like this but the car cuts out when the red oil light comes on and beeps.

Its happened twice in the last 6mths, leaves no fault code and is always full on the dipstick marker.

Is yours cutting out or just flashing at you at letting you drive on?

Sorry to jump on this thread, but SWMBO fabia 1.4 16v has a fault like this but the car cuts out when the red oil light comes on and beeps.

Its happened twice in the last 6mths, leaves no fault code and is always full on the dipstick marker.

Is yours cutting out or just flashing at you at letting you drive on?

Check the connector to the oil pressure switch, any oil on the connector and the switch is faulty. Switches sometimes fail without leaking, so new switch is first thing to try. After that, ECU connector, and or fuel pump relay.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I realise this is a very old thread but I've just joined to ask this very question, the oil light is beeping and flashing but there is plenty of oil.

Previous replies upthread seem to suggest the problem may be the oil pressure sensor/switch, how would I check this out? Is it an expensive item to replace, and/or is it possible for the mechanically minded amateur to do this themselves

(I am not the mechanically minded amateur, but I know a man who can... :blush: )

Thank you

Hi,

I realise this is a very old thread but I've just joined to ask this very question, the oil light is beeping and flashing but there is plenty of oil.

Previous replies upthread seem to suggest the problem may be the oil pressure sensor/switch, how would I check this out? Is it an expensive item to replace, and/or is it possible for the mechanically minded amateur to do this themselves

(I am not the mechanically minded amateur, but I know a man who can... :blush: )

Thank you

Had exactly the same recently - new switch was £6 + VAT from GSF and dead easy to change. It wasn;t leaking oil and there was no oil on the connector but once I took it off I could see it was looking a bit corroded - but after 127,000 miles and 11 years I'm not surprised!

If the engine hasn;t siezed all ready I'd chaneg to switch and see if that sorts it...

I would make sure that the oil is the right grade. Taking the head off will not identify a cause of low oil pressure!

SN

Edited by Steve Neate

I would think your oil pump pick up is blocked, do not drive until this is rectified.

I'd interpreted the post as noting an intermittent warning... rather than a permanent one which I woudl have thought woud point to a sensor?

• 1 year later...

If you have done a filter change (assuming it's the same type of filter on a 1,4 TDI) double check that the filter has got an 'O' ring on the small end of the filter, it should have come with the filter but you have to fit it yourself.

DB.

If you have done a filter change (assuming it's the same type of filter on a 1,4 TDI) double check that the filter has got an 'O' ring on the small end of the filter, it should have come with the filter but you have to fit it yourself.

DB.

It's not the same filter. The petrol uses a spin on filter. But your advice is spot on for a diesel.

when it starts the oil pressure is 50,when its idling its comes down to 25...what should be the pressure..at start up,idling or at 3000rpm. When we disconnect the wire or put the connector to earth,nothing happens.

when it starts the oil pressure is 50,when its idling its comes down to 25...what should be the pressure..at start up,idling or at 3000rpm. When we disconnect the wire or put the connector to earth,nothing happens.

Does the oil pressure warning light come on when ignition is switched on, before engine is started?  See post 5 in this thread for a description of what should happen under various conditions (according to Skoda).

Try raising the engine speed above 1500 rpm while the wire is disconnected, and with it shorted to ground. If you get the warning light with engine speed>1500 and connection grounded, I think there must be a break in the wire somewhere.

The warning light continues with the switch disconnected or put to earth?

• 3 weeks later...