Does 1.2 Yeti have a dual mass flywheel clutch?

rayaring

Hi,

Just joined the forum although not yet a Yeti owner.

Thinking of buying a Yeti 1.2 TSI 105PS after very impressive test drive yesterday.

My only reservation is whether it has a dual mass flywheel clutch with all the associated problems, googling for the information has not come up with a definite answer.

Can anyone here please answer the question?

Regards Ray

AFAIK dual-mass flywheels are only fitted to diesels.

But you're quite right to be concerned about the associated problems - the Yeti owners forum is littered complaints about them.

Oh...no it's not.

Edited by ejstubbs

Thanks for the replies and the link.

It would appear then that the Yeti 1.2 105PS does indeed have a dual mass flywheel, much to my disappointment.

My next question then is does it have the same problems that diesel cars fitted with dual mass flywheels have?

Maybe petrol engined Yetis have not been around for long enough for the problems to have started yet.

This site says the Audi A4 1.6 petrol uses them

http://www.audicarpartsuk.co.uk/AUDI-A4-Avant-(8ED)-2004/1/c601219_602218/p296859/AUDI-A4-Avant-1.6-Petrol-2004-Flywheel-Dual-mass-flywheel/product_info.html

And this site gives a broader range of VAG cars (with engine codes) that use them

http://www.volkswagenspares.com/page.php?page=Dual+Mass+Flywheels

I am very pragmatic about these so-called "problems". I think they are typical of the internet forum world, where all you ever hear about are the problems. What you rarely get is the owner with no problems posting how good things are. (Yeti owners excluded, but I think that is because it is a new vehicle)

I am not saying that SOME dual mass flywheels haven't had a problem, but I think it is being overstated.

My Volvo V50 2.0D had a DMF and it needed replacing under warranty (along with the clutch plate, release bearing and slave cylinder which all got messed up). My colleague, sat next to me, has a DMF in his BMW 320d which is also being replaced at less than 3 years old.

In his case he believes that it is stop/start technology that really hammers the DMFs until they give way.

DMFs are certainly raising a noise in the industry - regardless of the fact there are probably a low statistical number of cases of failure, they do fail more than a sold flywheel!

That said, I wouldn't choose a car based on its flywheel construction - there are more and more of these and other failure modes being engineered into cars but in reality cars are more reliable now than ever. Besides, you will happily marvel at the smooth ride and low vibrations that the DMFs also bring with them.

The biggest cause of DMF failure is an engine that idles for extended periods. So, a vehicle that spends most of its time at reasonable speed (eg motorways) is far less likely to suffer DMF disintegration than a car subjected to frequent stop-start work around town.

The purpose of the DMF is to dampen the vibration that comes back into the cabin caused by a diesel at low revs/tickover. Once driving, the pulses even out and the flywheel itself is subjected to far less stress.

So if you want to know how reliable different manufacturers DMF's are, speak to your local taxi/private hire operator or even better: utility meter reader! They love sitting for hours on end at the side of the road, having a cigarette/eating lunch/reading paper with the car just ticking over!!! :giggle:

(apologies to anyone who recognises themselves in that description!)

Edited by speedsport

I changed a clutch on a 1.2TSI yeti the other week and it had a solid flywheel.

That's good to know, any idea if they are different according to age? Skoda customer service is 100% sure mines has a DMF, whereas VW customer service stated that 1.2 TSI engined Golfs are SMF.

The biggest cause of DMF failure is an engine that idles for extended periods. So, a vehicle that spends most of its time at reasonable speed (eg motorways) is far less likely to suffer DMF disintegration than a car subjected to frequent stop-start work around town.

The purpose of the DMF is to dampen the vibration that comes back into the cabin caused by a diesel at low revs/tickover. Once driving, the pulses even out and the flywheel itself is subjected to far less stress.

So if you want to know how reliable different manufacturers DMF's are, speak to your local taxi/private hire operator or even better: utility meter reader! They love sitting for hours on end at the side of the road, having a cigarette/eating lunch/reading paper with the car just ticking over!!! :giggle:

(apologies to anyone who recognises themselves in that description!)

My previous Octavia 2.0PD140 DSG had a new DMF at about 90,000 miles. It was only every driven on the motorway and did not spend much time at low revs or idling....(the exception that proves your rule??)

Ah well RH, I can't win 'em all. :giggle:

Oh, and rwbaldwin, duel mass flywheels tend only to be fitted to Diesels. the 1.4TSi is petrol.... ! Thanks for the info though.

So if you want to know how reliable different manufacturers DMF's are, speak to your local taxi/private hire operator

So what you mean is speak to an Octavia owner? Sorry ... only joshing :giggle:

So what you mean is speak to an Octavia owner? Sorry ... only joshing :giggle:

Of course, DMF's hadn't been invented in that far more relaxed age when the B was made!

In fact, when the B first came out, if anyone had said they were considering buying a car with a diesel engine in it, they'd have been carted off to the funny farm!! :p

That's good to know, any idea if they are different according to age? Skoda customer service is 100% sure mines has a DMF, whereas VW customer service stated that 1.2 TSI engined Golfs are SMF.

No idea tbh, both 1.2 TSi Yetis I have done have both been SMF.

• 7 years later...

To resurrect an ancient thread and possibly put some minds at rest...

Mirroring what Tech1ie mentioned above, the 1.2 TSI 6 speed does seemingly have a SMF. The part number is 030105271M.

A search on eBay with that part number will bring up various examples of this part taken from breaking Yetis.

Screenshot_20190303-194728_eBay.jpg

It does appear to me (after looking on various spares sites) that the 1.2 TSI Yetis that do have a DMF are the DSG models? 

Edited by muddyjim