First Service costs on Variable Servicing

Car in for its first service £17000 miles in 10 days time!!

"It will cost £260" Says Service lady

"How much!!!?? Whats included in this price please?" Said Wife (She was doing the booking in for me)

Service girl.."An oil change with longlife oil which is more expensive Madam, an oil filter and Health check"

"Thats not a lot for the money", said Wife

"OK we can do it for £216 Madam"

OK..She brought the price down

BUT

Thats an lot of money for basically an oil change

Am I being unreasonable?

Can anyone point me to a Service schedule to check whats included?

I feel I'm being ripped off!!

EDIT:

Aparantly she DID say £216 but my wife misheard her!!

Car in for its first service £17000 miles in 10 days

"It will cost £260" Says Service lady

"How much!!!?? Whats included in this price please?" Said Wife (She was doing the booking in for me)

Service girl.."An oil change with longlife oil which is more expensive Madam, an oil filter and Health check"

"Thats not a lot for the money", said Wife

"OK we can do it for £216 Madam"

OK..She brought the price down

BUT

Thats an lot of money for basically an oil change

Am I being unreasonable?

Can anyone point me to a Service schedule to check whats included?

I feel I'm being ripped off!!

Wow I have not got to first service on variable on mine yet! My old Mk1 Fabia VRS (fixed servicing) was £110 at main dealers for a service! Surly the oil is the only difference. Perhaps being the first one they actually go in depth into the car??

I want my car to be serviced at least once in 12 months so, at 12 months old mines just been in for it's first service. It was on variable but I wanted it on fixed, it was supposed to have been set to fixed at the time I collected it but wasn't, not my problem and, after the service and a friendly discussion with the service guy it's now on fixed. I paid £240 iirc up front for 2 years worth of services which, had it stayed on variable would have meant one service as it was heading for around 17000 miles for first service and I do about 10k a year.

Apart from oil and filter, resetting service interval display, recoding service interval because they hadn't done it right in the first place, filling in the 'your next service is due on' sticker which they put on my windscreen oh, and putting a sticker on my sun visor mirror with the same information as is on the sticker in my windscreen (both of which will be removed this coming weekend), the health check according to one of the sheets that I've got back is: wheels and tyres, brakes, suspension, under bonnet (fluids), underside, lights / electronics, other ((brake, clutch and transmission operation), engine noise / smoke, number plate, windscreen), winter check only (anti-freeze strength) and summer check only (air-conditioning system).

I suppose I safeguarded against rising costs and will have the dealer stamp in the book when I come to sell.

£60 of oil £15 of filter and £120+ per hour labour.... Same oil and genuine filter plus any vat registered garage and warranty stays intact... Spend the other half of the money on beer?

Total rip - I paid £120 for longlife on my CR which has to use 507.00 oil.

Thats exactly what i done ^^ oil and filter all vag parts, cleaned the plenum chamber, greased my RARB additionally i wanted the air filter, pollen filter and spark plugs replaced, book stamped and car is running great £120 not £185 at the main dealers.

Inspection service for 17000 miles is basically oil and filter and maybe brake fluid although i've been told its 3 years now :wonder: anyway the rest is checking... fluids tyres, brake pads pretty much you could do it all yourself.

Personally i don't think a dealer stamp is all that massively important...not to me anyway but each to there own i dont want to argue about it.

So it should be in mine then.

Thankyou :dull:

schedule? Its an oil change with a tick sheet full of checks. Thats all they do. Brake fluid will last at least until the next service.

£60 of oil £15 of filter and £120+ per hour labour....

£120ph labour??? :o

In the words of Monty Python - 'JESUS CHRIST!'!

I work in Aviation and we don't charge that for keeping helicopters in the air... I'm obviously in the wrong trade!

You will get a phone call from the dealer when the car is in getting serviced, that they need to change the brake fluid. then they will bring up the word "warranty" so you dont say no. Does any one remeber when auto express did a feature on getting serving done in france, and how much people were saving including the chunnel cost.

I paid £151.66 including brake fluid change, at Dm Keiths too and Long life oil 17/08/11 you should have rung me Chris :no:

Which branch? I've only been to Leeds so far but York is approximately the same distance from me - I've been more than happy with Leeds so far...

I paid £110 for my first variable service using long life oil at Dennis Hortons in Lincoln - January 2012.

I rang main dealers in Hull, York and Bradford. All quoted £200-£220.

Dennis Horton quoted £150 initially, I asked for a better price and it was droped to £115. When I paid the bill it was £110, bonus!!

I was also given a lift into Lincoln town centre, and a return car sent when it was finished 2 hours later. All in all a very good experience and would definitely recommend.

Just had mine done, have a copy of the invoice (was done on Monday)

Carried out 1st longlife variable service £96

Carried out free visual Health Check FREE

tells me all my tyre tread depths

advises its been washed and hoovered Free

Courtesy car Insurance £6.67

Sump Plug £1.41

Oil Filter £10.75

Longlife engine oil £12.99 x 4.5

Filterelem £12.75

Pre pick Free

Cleaner £2.34

Privelege discount £7.83

Total Cost with VAT £218.05

This was at Capitol Skoda in Newport, car is 17 months old with 13300 miles on it

Same garage did my wifes fabia a couple of months ago, £120 for first service (ish)

The difference in cost mentioned in the thread so far, for basically the same thing, is staggering. Mine is coming up for 1st variable service soon. Will definitely phone round although my main dealer choice will be either supplier, Benfield Harrogate, or DM Keith York. Latter claim 10% off for Briskoda. 10% off what? :wonder: I suppose they would not be happy if you walked in with oil you'd bought elsewhere.....