vRS + Snow = ?

Put some suitable tyres on?

Winter tyres....... pah who needs them?

Not as simple as it sounds...

I'm using manual but you cant use 2nd until you get to 10mph (ish)

I think its gonna stay where it is now until it all clears...

Put some suitable tyres on?

Winter tyres....... pah who needs them?

+1 on this, feels cheap to not put wintertires on a car that you use on the winter...

Think off the risks...

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

As stated it's entirely the tyres. The EDL will give it the best shot at being able to keep moving otherwise given it's not 4x4.

I don't know if it's the same as the TSi/DSG, but in that in manual you can't select 2nd until 1st has run to maybe 2k-rpm, however in D it will switch to 2nd almost immediately the car is moving and just ride the clutch.

vRS + snow = No problem at all. We have a lot of snow around here and a lot of bad ice but I've never even slipped with the Nexen Winguards on. It really makes the difference between day and night. I didn't live here before and I was so ignorant as to how important winters tyres are for such climates but they are!

Driving on summers and worn out ones is of course a nightmare. It has nothing to do with the car imho, summer tyres are just unable to provide traction in such conditions no matter what. I had the same problems with my 15 year old Renault and it was completely tranformed when I fitted winters on it. Maybe you're in a place where it never ever snows so you didn't think winters could justify their money. Fine, then I think the only solution is: don't move it!

Edited by newbie69

Last year in the real bad snow the vRS was shocking on the standard tyres, but i managed to limp it about by letting the gearbox get hte car moving then just be gentle.

I would put winter tyres on it, or failing that get some snow socks on it to keep you honest.

im definatly getting some winter tyres and allows for next winter as the mrs slid into a curb the other day and ive had bit of a nightmare getting home from work this evening. This is definatly the worst car/tyre combination ive experianced in snowy conditions and ive never felt the need to buy winter tyres before.

Edited by pee81

Its not the car though. Its purely down to tyres

Im only comparing this car to our old car (mini one auto) with the mini as soon as you put it in drive the car just went without you really needing to touch the gas pedal. The fabia on the other hand doesent really move that much until you put your foot on the gas even if you are mega gentle it spins really easy.

Yes i agree tyres play a major part but the car has a whole just seems really sketchy prob not helped by the rubbish sport contact 2 tyres,so next year i shal defo invest in some proper tyres for the job. (lesson learnt lol)

Im only comparing this car to our old car (mini one auto) with the mini as soon as you put it in drive the car just went without you really needing to touch the gas pedal. The fabia on the other hand doesent really move that much until you put your foot on the gas even if you are mega gentle it spins really easy.

Yes i agree tyres play a major part but the car has a whole just seems really sketchy prob not helped by the rubbish sport contact 2 tyres,so next year i shal defo invest in some proper tyres for the job. (lesson learnt lol)

Maybe it is down to the fact that there is a whole lot more power on the vRS than in the Mini One so a similar throttle depression will transfer much more power to the wheels? I have been spinning with the vRS in summer with just a little more aggresive push of the pedal so it's no wonder it spins on snow with summers on.

But even then, I wouldn't give more than 10% contribution of the car itself and 90% on the tires for the spinning. I've driven 3 different vehicles with summer tires on on serious snow and they were all dreadfull. On the other hand, today I took a few tight corners at around 40mph with no sign of sliding and the roads have been covered with ice/snow since last week, temperature is -10. I 've even accelerated hard from roundabouts with no more spinning than the usual.

Maybe it is down to the fact that there is a whole lot more power on the vRS than in the Mini One so a similar throttle depression will transfer much more power to the wheels? I have been spinning with the vRS in summer with just a little more aggresive push of the pedal so it's no wonder it spins on snow with summers on.

But even then, I wouldn't give more than 10% contribution of the car itself and 90% on the tires for the spinning. I've driven 3 different vehicles with summer tires on on serious snow and they were all dreadfull. On the other hand, today I took a few tight corners at around 40mph with no sign of sliding and the roads have been covered with ice/snow since last week, temperature is -10. I 've even accelerated hard from roundabouts with no more spinning than the usual.

Either way i now know what i need to do next time round :thumbup:

I don't suppose there's anyone out there with a 1.6 TD 105CR WITHOUT traction control who's got the Nexen Winguard sports or any other winter tyre?

I'm finding that even with the Nexen's on, the torque of the engine is making the wheels skid! I guess I've just got to learn how to compensate for this ;)

Right. I made a huge hoo-haa about getting snow tyres etc after the winter we had in 2010. It was ridic as wel can all agree.

To get into my work there is a steep brae which is about 50m long and has two speed bumps in it.

Last winter in my mk1 fabia I had to take several runs at it before I could get the car up the hill each day and from then on I said "getting winter tyres"

Fast forward to this winter, and well. Nothing. It's been pretty mild and little frost so I took my winter tyres off the second week in January as the temps were hovering about 8°C

Today it snowed, pretty heavy and with my car back on its Dunlop Sport Craptaculars it coped amazingly well.

Traction control was coming on a lot, but thats to be expected in snow. The car never got stuck at junctions and even the steep brae getting into work was done in a single attempt. I was pleasantly surprised/gutted.

To get started, just put the car in D and let it do its own thing, it'll crawl along to get you started then give it a little bit of juice. TC might flash but it keeps the car under control and you're off.

The car was skitish on fresh snow dont get me wrong, but it wasn't un-driveable in any sense