Advice Please: 1.6 Diesel in Octavia?

Hi all

My 06 Octavia 1.9TDi has only done 70k miles but I'm wondering if it's time for a newer car.

Does anyone have experience of the 1.6 CR engine in the Octy? The 1.9 is a bit agricultural but it's reliable and not bad on fuel. Is the 1.6 a sensible engine for the Octavia, or should I go for a 2.0?

I won't be buying new, maybe a year old or so.

Cheers all

We went from a Passat 1.9TDI to a 4x4 1.6TDI.

Difference was more pronounced due to 4x4 than anything, but we're quite happy with it. We load ours up with a roof box and towball-mounted bike rack, plus kidsx2/adultsx2 and it pulls away just fine.

Overtaking is a noticeably prolonged process, but again could be down to the added weight/behaviour that comes with the 4x4 drive train.

Average MPG is mid 50's but a 2WD would get better. Lower purchase cost (from new), lower VED, lower insurance and better MPG swung us in favour of 1.6CR over the 2.0L.

Only gripe I have is that you're no sooner into 1st than you're having to change up, but you adjust your driving style to suit. People say it drives more like a petrol than a diesel, but aparrt from being less 'agricultural' than the 1.9 it isn't a world apart from it.

So long as you're beyond the 'boy-racer' stage in life and you're not planning on hanging a caravan off the back-end then I'm sure you'd be perfectly happy with the 1.6.

erm

Should I comment, but with the DSG ( when its working) the 1.6 TDI is more than adequate, I have been saying that perhaps not in the Yorkshire Dales but seeing as we travelled through some quite Alpine terrain whilst on Hols loaded with 2 up plus hol clag, OK all round, really, plus more than good at Motorway speeds, 5 up

cheers

Marcus

Few of the boys up here have the 1.6's as taxi's & absolutely hate them. When your 5 up & try putting the foot down it just don't move. The 1.9 IMO is the best engine out there ( not including the Vrs engines)

We have a couple of 1.6's which replaced some of our old 1.9's, and i would say there more like a petrol, you have to work them pretty hard i think, i paid a little more and got the 2.0, more than enough power for me, and im still getting around 50mpg mixed driving with two sets of ladders on the roof and a boot full of spares and tools. vrs tdi with dsg next for me.

Thanks all for your replies, a mixed bunch to say the least!

Sadly, I'm past the boy racer days, but I do like a bit of ooomph. Only trouble is that as I'm self employed, and business is up and down. I do a fair number of motorway miles, usually with just me on board and so the 1.9 is, I suppose, grudgingly, fast enough (I'd love a vRS!!) but I have to think about the boring stuff, like mpg and VED and all that gonads. In fact I'm quite disappointed in myself for even looking at the 1.6, but sadly, not sure if I have a choice.

My 1.9 is fine, needs tyres and so on, so do I spend the money on this or trade up.

Seriously don't know...and really appreciating your advice, all of you. Keep it coming!

:yes:

and thanks again :thumbup:

Edited by Bazzman

I have the 1.6tdi, has 37000km and it will be 2 years old in July.

It is a 5 speed box, it´s good if you donnot live in the city.

If I could I would have bought the 2.0tdi, here costs almost 5000€ more.

I had two 1.9 pd's before I changed to the 1.6cr.

Pros: the 1.6 is smoother through the range and nicer to drive and the mpg(I'm averaging 58 as opposed to 52 in the 1.9) is better. £30 road fund is also a bonus.

Cons: you don,t have the low end power like the 1.9 and you use 4th gear more.

On the motorways there's no real difference.

Next time I'll have ......another 1.6cr

I wish Skoda would bring back the 1.9 as a CR with a min 130 bhp

I would order one tomorrow

I can see them loosing loads of taxi sales both in Octy and superb, due to the 1.6 being to under powered

Just been on drive the deals web site and there is now a 2lt 110 cr tdi have they dropped the 140???

http://listers.co.uk/New/Cars/Skoda/Octavia/2.0_TDI_CR_%5B110%5D_SE_Plus_5dr/51678

Looks good but I wonder if it will have the same turbo and dpf problems

Edited by skippy41

I wish Skoda would bring back the 1.9 as a CR with a min 130 bhp

I would order one tomorrow

I can see them loosing loads of taxi sales both in Octy and superb, due to the 1.6 being to under powered

Just been on drive the deals web site and there is now a 2lt 110 cr tdi have they dropped the 140???

They have already lost loads of sales. My mate used to buy 20 brand new taxi's per year, all Octavia's MK1's when they where getting them for about £9000, new mk2 octavia's are coming in at £15000 now & people refuse to pay that for a basic motor. My last 60 plate didn't even have remote locking, was shocked!

G

A bit off topic BUT relates to last couple of replies...my local taxi firm has been wall to wall octavia's for the last decade but due to heftier prices they'r giving the hyundai i30 a go...

They have already lost loads of sales. My mate used to buy 20 brand new taxi's per year, all Octavia's MK1's when they where getting them for about £9000, new mk2 octavia's are coming in at £15000 now & people refuse to pay that for a basic motor. My last 60 plate didn't even have remote locking, was shocked!

G

You can still get the mark 1s brand new, from the taxi centre only the SDIs have been dropped from the range :thumbup:

You can still get the mark 1s brand new, from the taxi centre only the SDIs have been dropped from the range :thumbup:

Which taxi centre? Certainly not the one up in paisley.

Mk1 's as a taxi are absolutely amazing, hold high mileage well, return amazing mpg & parts are very cheap. Interior is the only let down for me. I wish they would reproduce a mk1 with a few interior changes, few cubby holes, better seats & a cup holder. I'd buy one in a flash.

Brilliant motor, but the comfort of the MK2 wins hands down

G

Just noticing that your current car is an Elegance the 2.0 110 is only available in the SE Plus.

If you are looking to at Elegance spec again it is either the 1.6 or 2.0 140.

From personal experience with both engines I do like the extra pull from the 140 but the 105 is definately a capable engine (me, the wife, x2 kids, Lake District, fully loaded with some extra bits and pieces on the roof and the 105 was as good as gold).

Lee

On the subject of taxis, local taxi company here has a load of them parked up with DPF gremlins and they hate them.

I test drove the 1.6 diesel but was really disappointed with the power and rev range. I have not drove the 2.0 140bhp but once I drove the vRS I fell in love :giggle:

DPF seems to be something that causes some people problems regardless of make. Who know's what's next with EU6? I think that's due in 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your advice, and I've decided to stick with the staus quo, and keep the car for at least another year.

Cheers guys! ;)

Good move!!!

My '54 1.9PD has 100k on the clock and still runs like new.

The old 1.9 lump may be a bit agricultural but it will go on for ever ... it'll last for years!! No DPF worries etc. Just get it remapped if you want a bit more performance or economy. Mine has been "mapped" for economy and I get an indicated (yes, I know it's not that accurate!) 70mpg in summer and 65mpg in winter (plenty of long dual carriageway/motorway journeys). That'll do for me!

Reckon I'll keep mine for another 10 years and reassess the situation - if it's still running OK then I'll keep it.

Dave

I agree with that. The 1.9 is excellent. I did drive the 1.6 and was glad to get out of it. Slug.

I love that PD punch where the CR you have to rev the trolleys out of it for very little gain.

To the OP keep yours will be more happier and it's only done 70K :).

Mine is loving the warmer temps (still on 8 degrees but hey, better than minus anything!). My 44 mile commute:

b56dd665.jpg

Showed this on maxidot (I know my maxidot is ambitous by 1.5-2 mpg):

b6bb563f.jpg

And my combined range & miles driven hit 1010 miles this morning (180 driven, 830 range). Cannot fault the Greenline.

interseting posts guys, my present taxi is the 2.0 bss 140hp in a superb mind it goes well with power but does cost a forune to rapair, have been really considering the greenline 1.6 octavia. After skoda issued a patch update for the DPF filter ive had no problems with it.

interseting posts guys, my present taxi is the 2.0 bss 140hp in a superb mind it goes well with power but does cost a forune to rapair, have been really considering the greenline 1.6 octavia. After skoda issued a patch update for the DPF filter ive had no problems with it.

No big diference in costs between the 2.0 and 1.6 TDI.

My mate's 04 mk2 1.9 taxi got to 383k before it died. There is a mk1 1.9 on the rank with 550k on original engine. 70k does not seem a lot for this engine and I would stick with it. The taxi lads around here don't like replacing the 1.9's with the 1.6 at all.