YETI - BAD SMELL

Ben1812

Driving a 1.8 litre petrol Yeti. 3 months old and 3.5k on clock. Getting bad smell in cabin - rotting cabbage or other similar organic like smell. First happened after 3 back-to-back practice runs using auto reverse parallel park steering feature. Noticed engine running at 103 degrees temperture - bit hotter than usual 97 degrees. Am now noticing it every now and then. Hard to pinpoint a pattern, but seems to be when engine running a bit hotter than average - say when in very slow traffic. Seems some other threads suggesting it could be clutch? I mentioned it to dealership and they suggested that it was normal for cars with cataytic converters to be smelly sometimes. I'm not sure about this? Any ideas?

thanks

Edited by Ben1812

Yes, I do have a sun roof. Some connection?

Open it after eating baked beans???

Sorry. of no help as usual

However - I had something similar a couple of years ago. There was ahalf a dead pigeon under the bonnet courtesy of a pine martin.

Worth having a look in the boot, under the seats etc. to see if you've had an unwelcome visitor.

"Noticed engine running at 103 degrees temperture - bit hotter than usual 97 degrees."

I am not a technician so I'm probably way off the ball here but this is my third diesel Skoda and all of them have reached a max constant temp of 90 degrees. I never seen them stray beyond the 90 degree mark even in heavy traffic. Maybe it might be worth checking to see what temp other Yeti owners petrol engines normaly run at just to see if your's is running a bit hot. Again I'm probably way off the mark but worth a try.

Edited by Photoemt

I note no-one else has said it, but could it be your cat converter. They used to give a rotten eggs type smell.

The OP mentioned that his dealer had said it could be the cat. I've experienced sulphurous smells from a car's exhaust in the past as well (although IIRC neither of my last two petrol-engined cars did it). Might be a combination of a new cat and a particular brand of fuel?

all of them have reached a max constant temp of 90 degrees.

I'd take 90 as being normal. In aviation temps., pressures, volts, etc. are always normal when the needle is vertically upright. Much easier to see a deviation in a quick scan.

This seems to have also become the norm in the car industry

Ah! But yours isn't! So sulphurous smells are part of our lives. What is a TDCi, by the way?

Turbo Diesel Commonrail injection, thought you may have known that,being so knowledgeable.