octavia scout or volvo xc70

We have upto £12k,including trade in,to get a newer car.We need a car that will go down farm tracks,paddocks etc so dont need a full on 4x4.The car must have plenty of room in the boot area for the lintran dog box or our camping gear.The car must be reliable and bullet proof and as cheap as possible to maintain.What should it be? Skoda octavia scout tdi or Volvo xc70?.What would you choose

We have upto £12k,including trade in,to get a newer car.We need a car that will go down farm tracks,paddocks etc so dont need a full on 4x4.The car must have plenty of room in the boot area for the lintran dog box or our camping gear.The car must be reliable and bullet proof and as cheap as possible to maintain.What should it be? Skoda octavia scout tdi or Volvo xc70?.What would you choose

Take both for a test drive and see the lie of the land, though from personal experience, getting an Octavia Scout for a test drive is like finding rocking horse guanno.

Have never regretted getting the Scout. Maybe not the best drivers car I have ever had, but definately the best car I have had. MPG of 42 - 51. Try and get one with Maxidot if possible, it is the only option box I regret not ticking. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Fin

Don't the std 4x4 octavias have real bad soft suspension and bounce about like an american car. there was a topic on here a while back with a 4x4 with weight on/in the back and the nose was in the air.

Don't the std 4x4 octavias have real bad soft suspension and bounce about like an american car. there was a topic on here a while back with a 4x4 with weight on/in the back and the nose was in the air.

Nope, had one for 130k and the suspension was fine, rode and handled better than my Mk2 Suabru Outback but had slightly more compliant suspension than the Scout I am running now but not by much - and that perception could be down to tyres.

4x4 would be fine for track work (mine was driven on forest roads a lot) is probably cheaper than Scout to buy, Scout probably has better resale, both probably cheaper to run than the Volvo. If it was my money I would start looking for a 4x4 and if a suitable Scout turned up would take that if the price was right. I might consider the Volvo if I was not doing high mileages and if I was bothered about the badge on the car. In that price range though you are more likely to find a bigger choice of XC70 than 4x4 or Scout.

I've driven my father in laws XC70 and it's drove like a barge compared to my 4x4. Hideous roll, but good motorway comfort. It was a 53plate so things may have improved, but I'll stick with the Skoda.

I've driven my father in laws XC70 and it's drove like a barge compared to my 4x4. Hideous roll, but good motorway comfort. It was a 53plate so things may have improved, but I'll stick with the Skoda.

Didn't the xc70 only come out a few years ago, certainly not on a 53 plate?

Killer for all cars off road is often ground clearance which often runs out before traction. The Scout has slightly more clearance than the Octy 4x4 if thats an issue. I love our Scout, very civilised road car, reliable, good on fuel (diesel) & never lets you down when you get on snow of wander off the black stuff

Re the suspension its fine IMO, you need a lot of travel to go offroad. as for bouncy it can be if you go down bumpy roads slowly, a little more speed often smooths out the ride & I dont mean attack it like a rally driver, just a little quicker. Handling is good as well if you drive in a spirited manner, it developes a noticable lean when hurled through roundabouts but its controlled & once leaning carries on to the limit if the tyres.

Overall the Scouts a cracking car, cant comment on the Volvo & would only ever consider one if it was really cheap.

If ground clearance may be an issue also think of other vehicles, some of the "pucker" 4x4's are going for a song & with an LPG conversion can be quite cheap to run

No they dont. Test drove a Scout before buying a 4x4. The 4x4 has slightly more controled suspension with less roll than the scout but of course less travel. Use the 4x4 to tow a caravan so spends a lot of time with the boot full and and the nose weight of the caravan at the back and its never been anything but perfectly controled. Much better in that respect than the 2wd Octy I had before.

Lee

Not in my experience... I have seen the post and it was a 1.9TDI 4x4 that was well and truly loaded with a roofbox and bikes on a rear rack. I beleive the poster of that subsequently fitted MAD helper springs to resolve his problem.

I have a 4x4 2.0 TDI and have gone on holiday with it many a time with the boot fully loaded and 4 bikes on a tow bar carrier and had no nose-in-the-air issues. The suspension is also firm and not sloppy - much firmer than my Fabia Estate and more like my MX5 that has adjustable Koni's fitted (I know that sounds daft but you get the picture...). Roll is well controlled and it hangs on in there well and I've had no grip problems in the bad weather of the last couple of years - in fact the only day I didn't use it we had 18 inches of fresh snow...

The 4x4 is 17mm lower than the scout from memory but it's never caused me a problem before and otherwise is identical underneath.

If you do go for one I'd suggest sticking with the TDI as it comes with a proper Alloy sumpguard (or at least mine did!). The petrols apparently have a plastic one due to heat retention issues???

We have XC70's in work and I have to say when you look at the cost of the volvo compared to the skoda I would go for the skoda each time. I find the volvo does not have as much room as you think, and the boot is not that big either. It is quiet and very powerfull but the handling is not great. I also get a bad back when driving the volvo but that is just my own experience. Dont get me wrong it is a nice car and well put together but I would have thought that the servicing and parts for the volvo would be much more expensive than the skoda.

Im sure if you asked the same question on the volvo forum you would get a different answer!

Didn't the xc70 only come out a few years ago, certainly not on a 53 plate?

I'm not sure when it was introduced as the XC70, it might be the Cross Country before they rebranded it, either way it's the same car and it still doesn't do corners very well

XC70 isn't comparable with a Scout - check out the list prices!

I drive a Scout but I used to own a V70 AWD D5 (185) and it was a really good car to drive apart from the ridiculously large turning circle - try a 3 point turn before you buy a V70!!. Admiteddly the XC70 is quite a lot higher than the V70 AWD and there is a lot of body roll but apparently you get used to that, The big downside to the Volvo is cost. It was VERY expensive to fuel (overall average 34mpg), service, and repair and was surprisingly unreliable.

The things that I really miss about the Volvo are:

1. The really wide, low opening of the boot. Scout is more like a big hatchback.

2. The amazingly comfortable seats. The Skoda seats feel very narrow and, well, small by comparison.

3. The stereo. Whilst the Bolero touchscreen looks fancy the sound is poor compared to the set up in a V70.

4. Being a 185 D5 it felt pretty fast for a big car. The Scout feels decidedly sluggish by comparison.

5. Towing a caravan - the extra kerbweight and higher noseweight limit made it a better towcar.

6. The wide long roof rails with 100kg roof limit. Easy to put 4 bikes on the roof.

Things I don't miss in the Volvo:

1. Turning circle.

2. The rubbish handbrake.

3. Constant niggly faults.

4. Fuel consumption.

Overall, I'd take the Scout unless you need to tow a heavy trailer or regularly carry large loads.

Firstly,thankyou very much for your replies.I will not be towing so that is not an issue.I will be buying a used scout from a dealer,due to p/x, so what do i look out for with the scout?.What extras are a must have?,and what extras can i do without?.What are the do`s and dont`s when looking for a scout?.Thanks in advance

:giggle: You could look at the Audi allroad but you would need to rob a bank as I think they are around 30k :doh: my Scouts been brill especially when towing my caravan and it was brill the last 2 years in the snow, try for the 2ltr TDi with maxidot display and factory fitted towbar. cheers - Stuart

What extras are a must have?

None.

1. Even basic Scouts are extremely well specc'd.
  2. Maxidot and multi-function steering wheel are nice to have but the standard display is perfectly adequate and you'll only miss the MFSW if you are already used to having it.
  3. Some people say that the metallic paints are more durable due to the extra (thicker?) lacquer coat so might be best to avoid a solid paint car?

What are the do`s and dont`s when looking for a scout?

1. Good service history is essential. Oil change intervals are stupidly long so you should avoid any car that has not had its servicing done on time.
  2. Look carefully under the car for signs of off-roading. Many Scouts (like mine) will never go offroad but some people need the AWD and extra ground clearance regularly for their work. Regularly off roading is going to take its toll on the suspension.
  3. Look at the alloys for delamination problems.
  4. Look at the tyres for excessive uneven wear. Actually, check out the cost of tyres, my Scout has 225/50/17 which is quite an expensive tyre due to it not being a very popular size.
  5. Don't be fooled by anecdotes about "these run forever", or high motorway miles isn't a problem. Get the lowest mileage, newest car you can afford.
  6. Check that the AWD actually works if possible. Easy in the icy weather but not so easy when its dry. Park up somewhere a bit slippery, turn off the traction control and set off quickly. You should be able to tell if the AWD isn't working as it will feel like a front wheel drive car.

4. Being a 185 D5 it felt pretty fast for a big car. The Scout feels decidedly sluggish by comparison.

Removing the dpf & getting it remapped will cure that. Its expensive to do on the Scout as the transfer box has to come off to get the DPF pipe off to empty it of its filters but IMO worth it

With the dpf the car is mapped so that even when you put the accelerator down quickly the fuel increase to the engine is slightly more gradual to save soot in the dpf. This gives the sluggish feel & the slight impression of lag when changing gear when you are pushing hard. The Scout also runs I believe slightly smaller injectors that the std PD140, again to benefit the dpf.

As for options, I would not buy a car without Xenons. Thats my no:1 in the list.

Parking sensors are great, Maxidot board computer, heated seats.

You can live without any more options.

Re extras the std of the basic car is the most important thing.

Xenons are nice to have, maxidot is good, fullsize spare good as you get a jack as well, no jack in the basic model, just a can of squirt. Alcantara trim or leather on the newer models is nice to have, both should come with heated seats but check. rear parking sensors are a godsend but may be std, not sure

Edited by Stuart_J

Hi,

I have a V70 at the moment.

The Pro's are

Really comfortable seats

Great stereo system

Great diesel engine that is capable of well over 300000miles.

Diesel pulls very well

Can achieve 50mpg on a good run

You can fit a lot in the boot and is Ideal for dogs

If you hit anything in it, they will definately come off worse

It's as safe as houses!

Ride comfort is exceptional, quiet and smooth.

Con's

Insurance is high

Turning circle is the worst I've ever experienced.

Volvo wanted £410 for a full service (it will be higher on the XC70)

My rear shoe's delaminated and ripped a block off the rear hub carrier, it cost me over £1000 to fix

Around town MPG is woeful

It weighs a lot

My private plate doesn't suit it (I look like an old man trying to be young, I'm only 29)

It's up to you, I personnally like it, it's a safe car for my family and looks ok, but it's a big car to polish, and I like polishing my car a bit.

You won't go wrong with either, but the skoda will be cheaper to run!!!

HTH

Neil

Always surprises me that people say they couldn't live without xenon headlights. The standard Octavia headlights are actually very good and the Scout has headlamp washers as standard (uses a lot of screenwash!)

Similarly I never used the heated seats on my Volvo and certainly wouldn't want them on any future car. If you have all leather seats they can feel very cold at first but it takes so long for the heaters to warm them up that its a waste of time in my opinion.

Thanks again for the replies. It looks like i will have to put the miles in to go and view some scouts because it does not look like there are many about in my budget.What service plan would you guys choose for the car if we do 15k per year town and A road driving mostly?.Thanks once again