fl climatronic retrofit

As mine is in a pre FL Octavia, I have a couple of faults, one which I have since got rid of by fitting an air quality sensor.  The other has had no impact.

Didn't realise you'd done the retrofit :)

How difficult is the fitting of the AQS?

Wardy

Yes its one of my favourite retrofits as I really prefer the newer unit's look. Fitting the AQS is relatively easy, the hardest part is running the wires through the firewall. Eddie sold me mine, and they can be located on mk5 Golfs and fl Octavias as well as at dealers.

I can't quite recall the pins it connects into but if you Google "G238 J255 climatronic" you will find a wiring diagram.

Adam

Edit: I recall there being three wires, ground and live which spliced into the existing ground and live for the control module, and a third signal wire which I have just read goes to pin 4 of the control module (see http://volkswagen.workshop-manuals.com/golf-mk5/index.php?id=6580)

• 1 month later...

I understood that this mod is not going to work for older models of prefacelift MKII like I have (at least that's what I was told)

I've been wanting to add heated seats and I have to replace the climate control panel with one that has the buttons for heated seats.

It would be great if someone could tell me if I should go ahead and buy & install the facelift climate controls without loosing any functionality of the AC.

Thanks!

Edited by andreialex

andreialex

Not sure about your question about what will work in your prefacelift but I do have a brand new facelift climatronic panel (with seat heating) and a brand new Kufatec wiring loom to connect the climatronic panel to the heated seats.  Bought it all to convert mine but finding I'm not really missing having heated seats and can't be bothered with the faff!

Let me know if interested.

Mine is a 2007 car and i tried the retrofit mod for the climate.. after much buggering around it turns out you can sort of get it to work and can have climate control working.. but you will lose the ability for air recirc.. RobQuads looked into this quite a lot and it turns out some cars have 2 heating control flaps, some have one.. if you have one you can do the mod, if you have 2 i wouldnt bother as its not perfect..

RobQuads looked into this quite a lot and it turns out some cars have 2 heating control flaps, some have one.. if you have one you can do the mod, if you have 2 i wouldnt bother as its not perfect..

Yup if you have 2 motors then IMO I wouldn't bother. I ended up removing mine and going back to factor. It would be possible if you did some electronics but not simple by a long way.

With a single motor people have done it without too much problem

thanks for the insight. Would anybody know whether an early 2005 model like mine has ONE or TWO air control flaps?

I will do the mod if it has just one. But Rob is right - I wouldn't trade functionality over looks

If you lower the glovebox (basically remove the torx screws holding it in place) you will see the motors behind there.. should be easy to tell if you have 2 (im sure mine had blue connectors on them opposing each other)

Part no. 3T0907044CG doesn't work properly on -08 make vRS Octavia. It gives codes:

13701424 - Function Restricted due to Missing Message(s) 
             U1111 00 [009] -  -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 0
                    Reset counter: 0
                    Mileage: 239 km
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 13:48:43

13701456 - Function Restricted due to Missing Message(s) 
             U1111 00 [009] -  - 
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 43
                    Mileage: 105199 km

And the dealer can't even connect VAS to the panel via CAN. I can access it with VCDS though. But this as a warning for those who are planning to do this retrofit. I'll have to try source an older version of the panel in order to get it function properly. The current unit won't let me do the compressor setting by pressing AC + heating rear window buttons.

Are you sure those are not messages because of the missing air quality sensor. You will always get error messages after the upgrade due to this unless you buy and install a air quality sensor (sits just be the air inlet).

Part no. 3T0907044CG doesn't work properly on -08 make vRS Octavia. It gives codes:

13701424 - Function Restricted due to Missing Message(s) 
             U1111 00 [009] -  -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 0
                    Reset counter: 0
                    Mileage: 239 km

13701456 - Function Restricted due to Missing Message(s) 
             U1111 00 [009] -  - 
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 6

And the dealer can't even connect VAS to the panel via CAN. I can access it with VCDS though. But this as a warning for those who are planning to do this retrofit. I'll have to try source an older version of the panel in order to get it function properly. The current unit won't let me do the compressor setting by pressing AC + heating rear window buttons.

There is nothing wrong with the panel, these faults are because the climate panel can't see the newer modules in the car like the cluster and BCM

Are you sure those are not messages because of the missing air quality sensor. You will always get error messages after the upgrade due to this unless you buy and install a air quality sensor (sits just be the air inlet).

That gives this error code:

9479189 - Signal Line for Air Quality Sensor 
             B10A4 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 3

There is nothing wrong with the panel, these faults are because the climate panel can't see the newer modules in the car like the cluster and BCM

So you are suggesting that cluster and BCM are newer in my car than the new panel that i got? How is that possible as they are original? Or is there something i don't understand here... :wonder:

Edited by JaVa^

I think what Eddie means is that the newer panel is actually expecting a newer BCM and cluster than your car has.  I have had one of those fault codes remain persistent since I changed my unit in my 2008 car and it has had no effect on the operation of climate control.  

Adam

• 1 month later...

Cut wire that goes into pin 16 and cut wire pin 20 allowing enough to join the wire from 16

join cut wire from 16 to the wire that is still left in pin 20 

Appreciate that.. but my problem is identifying pin 16 and pin 20