Thinking of a change. But do I want a Mark2 vRS?

grr666

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should I change my Mark 1 for Mark 2?

• Keep the older car and spend a few quid on it
    • Get shot and buy a nearly new mark 2

In a few months I may be looking to change cars.

I really wasn't keen on the Mark2 vRS when it was launched but

there's something about it that keeps me thinking Hmmm.

I just want an even smaller car with about the same power

Looks wise I'd probably be keen on replicating my mark 1 but in mark2 guise.

ie Black on black with Monte grille and the darkened headlights.

Like this one...

mark2vrs.jpg

OR

I could spend a few thousand on the Mark 1 getting it to as new standard

inc Leather retrim and full colour change respray in a non standard colour.

Plus maybe a FMIC? Don't get me wrong, I'm not bored with it but if I'm going

to be keeping it there are issues (mainly cosmetic) that need addressing if it's to last

another 3-5 years.

Any input welcome. Particularly keen on hearing from those that have done it.

Thanks.

My point of view is to got a newer mark 2 if you like them. If you spend money on the mark 1 then when you do come to sell it in whenever- it will be harder to sell, more miles and also won't be worth any more really. At least with a mark 2 it'll still keep its value to some degree.

At the end of the day it's your decision to make but I'd be tempted to switch to a mark 2 if you've got the money :)

Option 2 is definitely more of a financial loss. But that shouldn't be the primary decision factor. People often get too hung up on this.

If I only had those two options, I'd go with option 2. A lot of it is down to me not liking the new vRS.

That's a tough one. Both have their pros and cons.

I think it really comes down to where your heart is. If you really want to keep your current car then go that route... but that black vRS you posted really does look nice... I would be very tempted if I were you.

I personally think the MK2 vRS is a very nice little car and very surprising for a little engine!

Phil

You really need to have a decent test drive.

Being designed much later the mkII is better in many ways. And faster.

But crucially I didn't find it as much fun, which was why I bought the newest mkI VRS I could find.

It's not that there is anything wrong with it as such, but's not as involving to drive IMO.

The mkI may be slower but you have to work it and I like that. It's more of a raw experience, rather than press and go.

• Like 1

I am lucky enough to have the chance to drive my mates MK2. Id agree with bossfox, it's superior in everyday, but just doesn't feel as raw to drive. I'd have one as a daily like a shot smooth, comfortable, easy to drive, but I'd keep my one as a "toy". When I get back into mine it feels like I'm driving a go kart in comparison, heavy steering, noisy etc. although that's not to say a few choice mods wouldn't change the feel of the MK2 totally.

If the MK2 vRS were manual all you lot would buy one :)

Mr Grrr... if you were still local i'd take you out for a decent spin. Having had an almost identical car to yours, I can say the move is well worth it. There are some deals to be had on 1 year old MK2's now, around £11 - 12k depending on mileage etc.

I do miss being 'in control' as such with the lack of manual/clutch etc but it doesn't make it any less fun!

If the MKII was DIESEL I'd buy it, the fact it wasn't and instead is a supered up smaller engine is an instant turn off for me as I can't imagine anything but the feeling of the mkI

Sadly they dropped a fantastic combination there

I'm sure the MKII is fantastic though and looks great, and similar enough to the mkI to not be too much of an alien proposition and priced well.

I'd have both (missus was bought the 1.2htp 70hp) but she isn't fond of the idea sadly.

Hard to say really, I'm in a very similar outlook to you, except I'm still quite drawn to my car as I know she's a cracker and done me proud and may just want to keep her going until it gets impractical. As you said, just so much fun to get in.

Tears may be shed when she has to go

If the MK2 vRS were manual all you lot would buy one :)

I do miss being 'in control' as such with the lack of manual/clutch etc but it doesn't make it any less fun!

I agree. I'd have been tempted if it was manual. Like you I'd have gone for the estate as I think that's the pick of the range.

Disagree on the fun though. A good blat round with heel and toe, working the car, feeling all the inputs coming together as you dance over the pedals etc.. is very satisfying. It's not the same with paddles and I do have a car with them. Faster, yes, but not convinced on the fun.

Less civillised and more raw is more fun IMO. As said above, it's like a go cart. :)

Guest BigJase88

Diesel cars no are completely tosh!!

These euro testing regs have killed the diesel!! Soo many stupid emission rubbish on them now.... Dpf's / egr's just make it pointless

The 1.4 tsi is an awesome engine!! If you fancy a manual and the option of a 3dr, better handling have a look for a golf gt mk5

The 1.4 can fairly shift, sounds lush with the supercharger and on a run you can get high 40's mpg...

Diesels are dying im afraid

Like this one...

mark2vrs.jpg

OR

to be keeping it there are issues (mainly cosmetic) that need addressing if it's to last

another 3-5 years.

Thanks.

ooo sounds like you have a tough choice to make!

Holding my hands up, I have never driven the mk2, so perhaps i'm a little biased and have nothing to base my opinions on (but if you get one mate, reckon you need to show me what they're all about :giggle: ) but i do prefer the mk1 to look at and love the way my car drives, handles and is awesome on a good run.

Perhaps a little controversial, but i actually think the mk2 is kinda ugly when looked at from certain angles and looks worse in green..not seen a black one in the flesh to be fair, so could change my mind.

Personally there is too much i don't like about the mk2; gearbox, looks, it's petrol.... i would sooner spend £3/4/5k on my mk1 than £11k or whatever on a car that i am not 100% happy with, and not forgetting you still have to buy the car, then spend more to make it as B) as your mk1 Garry!

I made the switch and no regrets - I really just wanted a more up to date car - MP3 compatibility, cruise control, climate control, bluetooth.

I would say that, although slower, I found the MKI more fun to drive. It felt faster than it actually was due to the slug of torque arriving all at once. Also miss the 6-speed box - the gearbox in the MKI is a gem.

I've driven a mk2 and its in a different league there's no real comparison, the only thing going for the mk1 is its a diesel, quick'ish and relatively low insurance.

The mk2 looks better, handles better, is faster and more upto date.

If you have the dosh its a no brainer.

Personally I would go for the mods. I know it's not the wisest financial decision but the mk1s engine is bomb proof. It's easy enough to do little mods to update the mk1 in terms of mp3 compatibility etc, which I'm sure many people have.

Youlook like you enjoy customising a car to how you really like it. As mentioned already a mk2 will still have aspects you want changing, so it's still probably cheaper to mod away

Keep the vrs mate! Cheap to run, cheap to insure, pretty reliable. Modding wise I would keep an eye out for a second hand fmic , will save you a few quid. Turbo wise, maybe just go for the pd150 unit, safe 190-200bhp without too much costs involved/reliability issues. Isn't skoda proposing a new fabia for 2014? Could be worth hanging onto ur mk1 fab untill then.

The 1.4 can fairly shift, sounds lush with the supercharger and on a run you can get high 40's mpg...

Diesels are dying im afraid

High 40's isn't high 60's though.. With the price of fuel today, there is no way I'd personally buy anything other than a diesel.

Plus mine sounds crazy good, who needs a supercharger when you have turbo flutter on lift off :)

High 40's isn't high 60's though.. With the price of fuel today, there is no way I'd personally buy anything other than a diesel.

My mate (who made the swap from MK1 to MK2 spends the same amount on fuel with the new one, as the gap between petrol and diesel prices mean you need to do quite high mileage before the diesel becomes cheaper. It's not all about "mpg". Figures.

I was talking to him last night, after driving my MK1 again he admitted he missed his a little, but is glad he swapped.

To own a mk2, it needs to still be in warranty IMHO. After speaking to my VAG mechanic, he said he see's far too many issues with the 1.4TSI engine and wouldn't touch one with a barge pole come out of warranty time. You can read the same thing over on Pistonheads, with Polo GTI and Furby owners alike, and also the Seat forum.

It's a shame as I was considering a Polo GTI in a couple of years, but think I'll look elsewhere, unless I'm 100% convinced VW have solved the issues with these engines.

Like this one...

mark2vrs.jpg

OR

another 3-5 years.

Thanks.

I'm going to be REALLY controversial here and say I don't like them, don't get me wrong I WANT to like them but that roof..... I don't know what it is about it but it's just not grabbing me! Granted if I drove one I would probably forget about that but the shape of the car just don't seem right.

Got to admit, the one pictured is the first one I've seen that makes me think "Hmmm Nice..."

The black grille and lights are what does it for me.

I'm not after a 2 tone one as I think thats a bit of a current fashion and will soon go out of

style and will possibly even affect the resale value of these cars in the future.

I also know what you mean about the roof but again the 2 tone ones highlight this if

anything and would only want a black + black one.