What made you decide on a VRS

lol.... that could be a potential "clutch" problem there jon ;)

mine was mostly financial..... I had 2 choices, keep the fiat until it died, or try to get some money back.... it was an 07 at 110,000 miles, in three years at 170,000 miles it would have been worth nothing (I had finished paying for it), and the ford garage that had the vRS I bought, offered me £3,000 in part ex... if I'd kept the fiat I would have lost that £3k... then add that to the no VAT low cost, and it was a bargin! a new car that you dont loose money on as soon as you drive it away is almost unheard of.... mine would sell now for as much as I paid for it!

to not get that money back on the fiat, and to have missed out on the 20% off.... I would have been stupid.

I'm sure there are better hot hatches out there, but at this money, the vRS tops them all for value! (which is what skoda sould/or used to be about....) I bought the mark I because of its fantastic value for money, the mark II was always too expensive... then this deal came up! winner!

you are drivivng a car with the performance of other £18k hot hatches, and you only paid £15k .... (me: £12k with my part ex) :thumbup:

I thought you wanted to know why i bought a vRS not have a knobbly knees contest,,,

In all seriousness i was thinking of another car for the weekend to maybe have some fun in. Then i considered how much time i may have to fettle it, where i would keep it, all the additional runnning costs such as tax and insurance i decided not such a good idea. So i looked for something that may be a little interesting whilst still being sensible as a daily driver. The cost (especially considering the zero VAT) made it a no brainer really.

Wife is really happy though, torn her achilles so now gets the vRS due to the DSG box,

• Like 1

My Mk1 vRS was getting a big long in tooth. Fed up of diesel, the heaviness and bushes wearing out. It had a few other niggles too and I didn't like it as much anymore. Went down my local dealer to see what was there used and I noticed the VAT offer was still on. A week later after a test drive, them brining an estate home to see if it fitted in my drive I ordered. Bargain of a car. Sure it's not as hardcore as the Clio which is a great car but it's nicer to drive 90% of the time and it's only when driving at ten tenths you notice the differences which tbh you shouldn't be doing on public roads.

Well, I needed a car that would meet all the criteria below:

1. I wanted a physically smaller car than my previous one (a Renault Laguna)

2. It had to be a quicker car than my previous one

3. I wanted a DSG driven car

4. It had to be petrol driven

5. Paddle-shifts on the steering wheel

6. It needed to be family-friendly and have a decent sized boot for taking luggage on holiday

I looked at two models, the VW Scirocco and the Fabia vRS estate - the Scirocco fell at the 6th and was way too expensive.

The Fabia vRS estate ticked every box, it has no real competition - it was an easy decision. :)

Yeah, in all seriousness guys, I had to get an automatic and the VRS fitted the bill nicely.

I did check out some of the threads on the forum and the shots of members cars, then went for a few test drives in Skoda, Ford (new Focus Powershift)

VW Golf GT TDi 170.

It's tough getting an automatic, as most of the time it's got to be a factory built car, especially if there's a certain spec you've got your eye on.

Trying to find a 'nearly new' auto is nigh on impossible. Ford Direct only had 2 - C-Max Powershifts used in the UK !

I am surprised to see that most people mention the VAT deal. That maybe explains why this car is so much popular in the UK, here in France they almost don't know which model is that sport-looking Skoda... On the other hand, If a good price is not matched by the performance and driving pleasure that suits your needs, I think it is very wrong to just go and pick the cheapest 180bhp car that you can get your hands on.

I would have gone for the Polo initially, until I started looking at the Fabia. I rejected the Ibiza as it couldn't help hiddin' that chav look plus I would appreciate 5doors this time, and I finally rejected the Polo because as much as I appreciated the VW reliability and quality, I just couldn't wake up every day and see a car that looks so much like the Golf's little brother, not to mention the fact that with all those thousands of Polos out there, I would really have a problem distinguishing mine. Maybe I am the only one that likes the vRS's look as much as its performance but every time I see the black wheels and the front mask, I am so sure I made the right choice... Also, last but not least, the vRS seems to hide its power way more than its cousins and that has provided several amusing moments so far, as described by others: "wolf in sheep's clothes". Quite an attractive characteristic to me.

I am surprised to see that most people mention the VAT deal. That maybe explains why this car is so much popular in the UK, here in France they almost don't know which model is that sport-looking Skoda... On the other hand, If a good price is not matched by the performance and driving pleasure that suits your needs, I think it is very wrong to just go and pick the cheapest 180bhp car that you can get your hands on.

I would have gone for the Polo initially, until I started looking at the Fabia. I rejected the Ibiza as it couldn't help hiddin' that chav look plus I would appreciate 5doors this time, and I finally rejected the Polo because as much as I appreciated the VW reliability and quality, I just couldn't wake up every day and see a car that looks so much like the Golf's little brother, not to mention the fact that with all those thousands of Polos out there, I would really have a problem distinguishing mine. Maybe I am the only one that likes the vRS's look as much as its performance but every time I see the black wheels and the front mask, I am so sure I made the right choice... Also, last but not least, the vRS seems to hide its power way more than its cousins and that has provided several amusing moments so far, as described by others: "wolf in sheep's clothes". Quite an attractive characteristic to me.

thats good though, you chose it for the car it is :):thumbup:

Initally i wanted a white bocanegra as my car before was a mk5 ibiza and i loved it but just couldnt get one. also Insurance was a big thing for me. Clio cups, civic type R's were all in the region of 2k for insurance but this at just over 700 is great.

I find the chairs massively comfortable aswell only let down is the chairs don't go far enough back for me and the 5 doors is rarther nice.

It was time to trade my wifes car in, she was going to keep the family Mazda 5, and I would get something new, I wanted something quick but must have rear doors for tje kids. Was going to get a focus st, but the road tax and consumption put me off. Then looked at the polo gti. I know they must remove some quality on the skoda, but that was well outweighed by the price. Also been fancying an auto. The vrs ticked all the boxes for me.

i wanted a car that had a kick in its step which was not to expensive. and also i got offered more money than i thought on the punto so was a no brainer lol.

I didn't need a new car, wanted a new one - the vRS came up at 0% VAT and then plumped for the Estate as pre-wedding present to myself which is this August :D

Actually was looking at octavia vrs as a second hand option and when my old octavia was in for mot went for test drive and fell in love with the speed and the dsg. Oh and of course the price.

Also my sister is selfish and has a mx5 so one of us had to have a sensible car to ferry the elderly parents around!

H

Got boored of my Octavia vRS.

Started looking at AWD cars that were around the 300hp region. Decided it was pointless wasting money on a car that wasn't going to get driven much overvthe next two years so was going to buy a clio 182 cup.

Drove past skoda dealership, so one tested it, slated it to the dealer who looked gobsmacked, but even more surprused when I ordered one.

Seemed like a good short term project and with25% off list price a bargain.

I was only pplanning to keep it until december this year, but think i might hold on.llonger

Had a mk1 oily and decided a sensible replacement was in order.

Went to test a Fab 1.2 tsi dsg but there was a blue/white roof/white wheel VRS coming back in to the showroom after its first ever test drive.

I told them not to bother closing the door, it was going out again.

10 miles into the test drive SWMBO(ex-biker chick) and I looked at each other and grinned. We knew.

The salesman in the back gave yet another small whimper, but this time it was of relief.

My previous car was a Hyundai Elantra, had it from new, and it would be 10 years old this year. There was slight misting on the shocks when it went for its service, and I knew it was a matter of time when they would need to be replaced, and I wasn't prepared to pay good money after bad. So, I looked at the i30, Kia Ceed on-line, and then saw the Octavia vRs, which I immediately fell in love with. I have to like the shape of a car before anything else, and this car just oozes class. I know they say don't buy the first car you see, but test drive several, but I was blown away with the vRs and I love it.

Got boored of my Octavia vRS.

was going to buy a clio 182 cup.

They do look smart I must say. Like the Megane as well.

Trouble is, I couldn't care less what Renault bring out in the future as they've had it with me due to the despicable dealers / customer service. Shame. :wonder: