Lowering Options - MK2 Fabia vRS

But yours will be weighted better won't they sy? As in springs/shocks not just springs?

I looked at Weitec 30mm springs for my estate, only £143.20! :)

Hmm...

But yours will be weighted better won't they sy? As in springs/shocks not just springs?

I looked at Weitec 30mm springs for my estate, only £143.20! :)

Hmm...

What do you mean by weighted? Mine are coilovers so adjustable in height to what ever i want within reason. Also adjustable dampers as well so ill have a wet and dry setting. Alot more than £143 though :@

Ah - you said before they were weighing the car to get it set up right - like race suspension?

They're just fancy coilovers :)

Did you not want Eibach or KW 3's off the shelf?

Ah - you said before they were weighing the car to get it set up right - like race suspension?

They're just fancy coilovers :)

Did you not want Eibach or KW 3's off the shelf?

KWs are really harsh IMO after driving many many cars with them, eibachs IMO are not worth the money. These ASTs will be an of the shelf kit once they sort the damping and springs on mine.

AST develop race suspension and are at the top of the suspension ladder with the likes of ohlins, Bilstein etc so its a top product. They are now starting to branch into the modified industry. It wont be a race setup as race setups need constant servicing and maintenance. But the springs rates etc will be specified for my car and will of course be carried out by measuring axle weights etc. Theres also the option of progressive and constant spring weights etc. Before that i was considering the Bilsstein B16 coilovers. The only issue and just like the Bilsteins, is that they are not cheap.

Ill b going for progressive springs as its better for normal road use. Fixed springs are better for track work but make the ride horrendous on Uk roads IMO.

FWIW VWRacing used to only work with KW on all their race cars and road cars. Now they no longer work with KW and use AST as its a better product in their opinion of course. The APR Golf R had the ASTs on it and no word of a lie it was running pretty low and it was still comfier and les crashy than my vRS is with complete stock suspension. Im hoping for improved ride quality as well as handling.

lol :)

You know your stuff now you've delved into it quite deep!

I just fancy mine a bit lower but know that springs only can ruin the shocks after a while... not sure if I should save for spring/shock kit.

I didnt realise AST were in the modifying scene till recently tbh, but i had heard of them as a race product. As said i was either going for Bilstein B16 coilovers, if i couldnt get that i would have just gone with Bilstein B8 dampers and eibach springs. everything else i have tried is crashy IMO.

Why not go for springs now and then upgrade the dampers in a few months when you have saved up some dollar?

Having my coilovers fitted Monday. Will be lowered so that all all wishbones etc run dead level for best handling. About 35mm from initial measure up and also wet and dry settings as they will have height and rebound adjustment plus the adjustment on the top mounts when finished.

Pics up Monday night :)

Having my coilovers fitted Monday. Will be lowered so that all all wishbones etc run dead level for best handling. About 35mm from initial measure up and also wet and dry settings as they will have height and rebound adjustment plus the adjustment on the top mounts when finished.

Pics up Monday night :)

Good choice. So many people dont realise that too low ruins the handling. Once the roll centre is out you actually make handling worse. Good rule of thump is the two fingers between the wheel and arch.

How accessible are the tops of the struts? I know on the Mk5 Golf/Mk2 Octavia platform any coilovers with adjustment at the top of the strut required the whole strut to be lowered for any adjustment because you couldnt access it. Issue with that is your geometry and it being a massive pain in the a$$.Mine have the adjustment at the bottom of the dampers for ease of access. Are you having adjustable top mounts? Ive asked them to design some on mine so i can adjust the camber as its fixed on the front at the moment.

Its being done in stages. Getting the actual coilovers on first and making sure they fit good then making the top mounts so theyll probably be ready 3-4 weeks after the suspension is fitted. This is so they can be used with other make coilovers.

I'm not sure about the adjustment location to be honest but they are generally on the bottom looking at other kits they produce. Will see on monday.

I'm not sure about the adjustment location to be honest but they are generally on the bottom looking at other kits they produce. Will see on monday.

Happy days. Most companies do them on the bottom for ease tbh, just the likes of KW who choose to put them somewhere out of reach without using a tool kit

I knew many wouldn't like the flaps but they do the job.

Its a Gaz gha kit. Height and rebound adjustable like kW v2s. Front rebound are adjustable from under bonet and rears are on bottom of shock so both very accessible. Kit will probably retail between 549 and 599 plus vat but if enough were interested they will do a group buy. Let me know and I'll sort a price when i get a rough number.

Performance wise they still need to settle in abit but they feel alot better. Alot better at putting the power down, cornering is far far sharper and lighter now, ride is alot firmer but not back jarring, better at speed than poodling aswell.

Not sure what else to say. Any questions ask away.