Lowering Options - MK2 Fabia vRS

Im not trying to hassle you guys about what mods you do on skodas but im a fan of bog standared not messed about with cars and i know this adds to selling price due to insurance costs with uprated cars but i do not like you slagging off about the factory set up there is no need for that.

Look I think we are coming to an understanding, and if you bought one of these cars I would be the first to welcome you to the fold and offer advice as best I can.

The fact is that there is nothing that says you have to modify a car, at all.  I understand that this is not for everyone.  I loved my car when I bought it (completely standard, no dealer fit Eibachs even) I think that a lot of the people in this subforum would say the same, whether they went on to adapt their car or not.

The face Skoda offer official (not snide :) ) Eibach spring upgrades does suggest though that this is seen as an upgrade (at additional cost).  No I cannot prove that the factory fit springs are chinese, but I can say that I have held them side by side with good (H&R) aftermarket springs and the H&R were better quality with a nice progressive design and more coils in a shorter spring.

The car is not an awful handler in the grand scheme of all cars, but it can be made much better, I say this with a great deal of love for my little Fabia, which I am celebrating our first anniversary together this month.

But this is a car which can be owned and enjoyed greatly from stock setup.

I openly apologise if my previous posting was unfriendly or harsh.

• Like 2

If you look at a SEAT Ibiza Cupra from 2013, you can pay for the Brake Upgrade Option.

when i ordered one i made that option, (never got the car due to SEATs Black hole ordering scheme.)

& there is that you can buy 2 low mileage Twinchargers for the price of one specced up new SEAT.

Reason for going with the brake upgrade was because the vRS brakes are adequate for how i use them on a vRS, 

but there can be no beating about the bush, they are Not Fit For Purpose really if someone likes to drive a  car sportingly,

say away from the UK Public Roads and the NSL.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/289084/2013_seat_ibiza_cupra_14-tsi_review.html

Skoda Updated the vRS in 2012 and could have offered the Brake Option and it would have sold to some i believe.

They could even make the Dealer Option Fit like Springs a bit more obvious and leave the doubt people have when buying.

They could make it clear that the cars recommended Fuel is 98 ron.

They could do lots, they just never bother really.

george

• Like 1

Im not trying to hassle you guys about what mods you do on skodas but im a fan of bog standared not messed about with cars and i know this adds to selling price due to insurance costs with uprated cars but i do not like you slagging off about the factory set up there is no need for that.

Right, thanks for clearing this but we don't care if you prefer standard cars in fear of losing their re-sale value or increasing their insurance costs or because you are just about to buy (or have bought) one and have to convince yourself and everybody else that it's perfect in every aspect, this is ridiculous. It is a great car and If I personally turned back time I would have bought it again. That's one thing but saying it's sublime in everything is another. If for you, anything better than a 205 is (apparently) the definition of "handling reference" I can assure you it isn't for the rest of us. We rather prefer to see the facts. There has been thorough discussion over this during 3+ years and almost everyone agrees that it's not really "exciting" when it comes to taking bends fast. Even owners that have kept the stock setup agree on this, but for their own reasons (perfectly understandable) they don't want to upgrade. They do agree on it though. They don't try to make all the rest look crazy or boy-racer or any other silly name just because "a magazine wrote it's fine!". Don't get me started with what I have read in car magazines over the years. To be honest I don't know why I am bothering really since everyone agrees on this. It's all written in various threads here. You are probably suffering from "my-new-car-is-the-best-in-the-whole-world" syndrome. Usually it goes away after 2-3 months and then we'll be fine.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

Ahem, back on topic... Can anyone suggest some (reasonably) cost effective suspension modifications? Having taken a 270 degree freeway off-ramp (recommended speed 40kph) at 67kph last week, I was surprised and a bit disappointed to see someone in a locally made Holden Commodore hanging onto my tail. I'm probably a crap driver and only going at 8/10, but I would have thought that would be too much for a big sedan weighing 50% more.

Anyway, I was thinking a rear sway-bar, and maybe some springs/shocks might do the trick. I'm not particularly bothered about lowering for aesthetic purposes, but wouldn't rule it out. I'm also not likely to be hitting race tracks anytime soon. I find the standard ride OK if a little crashy at times.

In your case I think the rear arb would give the most benefit. Maybe it's because I first went with rear arb and then added the springs but I think the improvement of the bar was more significant than the springs' (looks aside) on this car. Now that the thicker H&R one is out (I have the Whiteline) I guess the change would be even more pronounced.

• Like 1

Ahem, back on topic... Can anyone suggest some (reasonably) cost effective suspension modifications? Having taken a 270 degree freeway off-ramp (recommended speed 40kph) at 67kph last week, I was surprised and a bit disappointed to see someone in a locally made Holden Commodore hanging onto my tail. I'm probably a crap driver and only going at 8/10, but I would have thought that would be too much for a big sedan weighing 50% more.

Anyway, I was thinking a rear sway-bar, and maybe some springs/shocks might do the trick. I'm not particularly bothered about lowering for aesthetic purposes, but wouldn't rule it out. I'm also not likely to be hitting race tracks anytime soon. I find the standard ride OK if a little crashy at times.

If you have got the cash to do a "proper job" then I would fit Bilstein shocks at the same time as uprated springs.In the UK the shocks cost close to £500, but you will save a lot of labour if you do both at the same time rather than individually.

I do think the car is underdamped with the std shocks and uprated springs and the Bilsteins should also reduce roll as well as making the car generally feel more planted on the road.

Fitting a roll (sway) bar is what you can then do as a separate exercise.I have the Whiteline one on the maximum setting but tbh the allegedly stronger H&R one may be better.

• Like 1

Look I think we are coming to an understanding, and if you bought one of these cars I would be the first to welcome you to the fold and offer advice as best I can.

The fact is that there is nothing that says you have to modify a car, at all.  I understand that this is not for everyone.  I loved my car when I bought it (completely standard, no dealer fit Eibachs even) I think that a lot of the people in this subforum would say the same, whether they went on to adapt their car or not.

The face Skoda offer official (not snide :) ) Eibach spring upgrades does suggest though that this is seen as an upgrade (at additional cost).  No I cannot prove that the factory fit springs are chinese, but I can say that I have held them side by side with good (H&R) aftermarket springs and the H&R were better quality with a nice progressive design and more coils in a shorter spring.

The car is not an awful handler in the grand scheme of all cars, but it can be made much better, I say this with a great deal of love for my little Fabia, which I am celebrating our first anniversary together this month.

But this is a car which can be owned and enjoyed greatly from stock setup.

I openly apologise if my previous posting was unfriendly or harsh.

hi sparkly  i do agree with you i might be tempted after having the car a while to get new upgrade do you know the price of the skoda upgrade fitted? i was getting a white vrs estate but now im ordering a racing green as dealer told me thats what says its a vrs.

I thought racing green was available on all fabias so learnt something new as to upgrades i suppose extra window tinting comes into it as well.

Your Dealer sounds like a right laugh.

So was White or Red a no cost paint choice and the Racing Green is an extra £430, to you.?

(or is it £525 now?)

Best ask them how much they want to fit the Dealer Fit Lowering Springs.

If fitted by the dealer at the PDI you have a 3 year Warranty on them. (the price of the Racing Green Paint would pay for them.)

Ask for the Springs they remove to take away, because you paid for them when you bought the car.

The tinted rear windows are standard on a vRS.

Your Dealer sounds like a right laugh.

So was White or Red a no cost paint choice and the Racing Green is an extra £430, to you.?

(or is it £525 now?)

Best ask them how much they want to fit the Dealer Fit Lowering Springs.

If fitted by the dealer at the PDI you have a 3 year Warranty on them. (the price of the Racing Green Paint would pay for them.)

Ask for the Springs they remove to take away, because you paid for them when you bought the car.

The tinted rear windows are standard on a vRSI

I have changed my order to steel grey met as i saw one in that colour and it looked great.

• Like 1

I had a set of Eibach’s fitted today at Awesome GTI.  Springs £170 + fitting £143 + 4 wheel alignment £41 Cost £354.

Took the car for a long drive this afternoon (In the wet) and very impressed with it.  I have got the car now how I prefer it and for me definitely worth the pounds paid.

• Like 3

I had a set of Eibach’s fitted today at Awesome GTI.  Springs £170 + fitting £143 + 4 wheel alignment £41 Cost £354.

Took the car for a long drive this afternoon (In the wet) and very impressed with it.  I have got the car now how I prefer it and for me definitely worth the pounds paid.

Wait till you try the rarb...  :giggle:

• Like 3

Everyone is not going for that option, only the ones that are.

One reason is that people can have them fitted as a Dealer Option at the PDI and have a 3 year Warranty, 

and Skoda seem happy that they are fitted with the cars Standard Dampers.

& enough have used them over the past 3 1/2 years and not needed to replace their Dampers.

Are you putting AP Coilovers on your MK2, ?

Why is everybody just going for the springs option??

I did this to my mk1 fabia vrs and it was the worst thing I did. Plus it'll **** up your shocks too so in the end you'll have to buy new shocks. I went for the ap coilovers instead

Ant

you are right, it did **** up the mark I , and they always bounced stupidly, and knackered the shocks.... BUT this isn't a mark I..... and the eibachs are skoda approved fitment, the shocks are designed to work with them, I have a full 3 year warrenty on the set  up, bought new.... its a different thing i think ;) (its a different car)

• Like 1

Everyone is not going for that option, only the ones that are.

One reason is that people can have them fitted as a Dealer Option at the PDI and have a 3 year Warranty, 

and Skoda seem happy that they are fitted with the cars Standard Dampers.

& enough have used them over the past 3 1/2 years and not needed to replace their Dampers.

Are you putting AP Coilovers on your MK2, ?

i am not sure what I am going to do as for the suspension. It'll be coilovers tho. I haven't really seen a modded vrs one yet.

Enquired about getting the eibach springs fitted by the dealership - 500quid to supply and fit. Think I will leave that thanks. 90pph labour! Theiving gits!

That's a bit steep my dealer is supplying and fitting mine for £354 inc VAT!

• Like 1

Is that on a new car at the PDI before delivery,

or you going in with your car as a Customer.?

To be fair this is on a new car at the PDI stage as I wanted to be covered by the warranty rather than fitting them post delivery 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, new to the MKII vRS (previous MKI owner). Just ordered a new MKII and waiting on a delivery date etc. reading through the spring option (for now0. IS the dealer option using Eibach 30mm or is there a 40mm option?