Ok I have a choice to make, Derv or Petrol Vrs

Hi Guys

After my Vrs PD went up in flames, I now have to replace it!!!

Do I go for a Petrol or Diesel? I don't do a lot of mileage (about 6000 miles per year) but have had Diesel road cars for the last 6 years and like the fact that if we wantt to go away for a few days it won't break the bank on fuel, but with fuel price differance between Derv and Petrol

The Petrol means I can get a newer car, but how high a milage is a petrol engine good for compared to a diesel?

Any advise greatly appreciated, as now going round in circles!!!

HELP!!!

Simon

Defo petrol on that mileage, running cost will be very little difference but you'll save on initial outlay. Petrol engines should be good for at least 100k these days if not more.

At 6k a year mileage, petrol would be the natural choice.

Reckon it would take you about 4yrs to break even at that mileage, recouping the retail list price of the petrol against the diesel.

I only do about 7,000 miles a year, but I have a diesel, purely because the opportunity was there to get this car at an absolute bargain, I really don't have issues with the fact I do low mileage.

Yes, if you take price out of the equation then it's perhaps a more difficult choice. But like-for-like, brand new you obviously have the higher purchase price of the diesel to offset.

Had the same sort of choice as you , but for different reasons. Like has been said before diesel is really good for people who do high milages , the offsets of prices and such does not make ecconomic sense for doing such low milages. Also the torque spread of the high pressure petrol engines makes them very easy to drive in higher gears and low speeds. Go petrol , it makes sense. I get around 250 - 300 miles out of a tank around town .... and i have a heavy foot. :nerd:

250-300 is not great as the vrs tdi can do 550 easy , also the diesel will do twice as many miles than the petrol,also diesel is easier to sell and holds its value better, I only do about 12k a year and I'd never go back to petrol and iv had a few high hp turbo petrol cars.

Take a look at the 1.8 Tsi ...

160bhp.. and has low down pull similar to a derv... loves to rev and is a little more economical too

No timing belt to worry about either.!

Petrol all the way for me. Much simpler overall - in my experience (admittedly not with VAG engines) there is a lot of complexity in diesel engines to make the more refined and less polluting. This can lead to expensive repair bills if you're unlucky (e.g. DPF).

Either way, I reckon you'll love the VRS - awesome car.

I switched from the PD to the TSI and the difference is night and day. With such low annual mileage, I don't see as there is any other option than petrol. I do about 11-12k a year and the MPG difference between the two isn't as much as you think. I can easily do 40mpg+ on a run (70-75mph), which isn't much worse than i was getting from the PD.

• Like 1

Petrol on that mileage, everytime.

I'm looking forward to my opportunity to change. My long term average on my display is 45.1, yet most journeys I am lucky to barely scrape into the 40's!

I do around 8K per year, and 2.5K is work commute, some pootling around town, and the rest going back and forth to my Dad's once a fortnight.

Can't wait to get a petrol again.

250-300 is not great as the vrs tdi can do 550 easy , also the diesel will do twice as many miles than the petrol,also diesel is easier to sell and holds its value better, I only do about 12k a year and I'd never go back to petrol and iv had a few high hp turbo petrol cars.

But you won't get 550 miles out of the diesel around town which is the 250 - 300 that Im gouki quoted. I would go for the petrol.

Petrol. Diesel not worth it on that mileage.

New TSI engine looks to be pretty good on petrol and only needs 95RON not the super that TFSI likes.

Arguably less problems with the petrol engines too.

Remember petrol ignites easier than diesel.

Sorry :giggle:

Actually the fire investigation person says there are far more Diesel cars burning out now than Petrol ones now!!! Due to the high pressure fuel systems.

Simon

• Like 1

Looks like petrol wins :thumbup: Going to go and have a look at one tomorrow!!!

Simon

I've previously posted this on the forum so apologies to others who might have seen this before!

I've had my petrol vRS 2011 FL DSG model for over 7 months now and only use Shell petrol in it.

I've conducted detailed mpg tests on V-Power for many tanks and have now gone back to fuelling with their regular 95 RON and am getting EXACTLY the same mpg figures as above( 36/37 average doing a mix of urban & extra urban roads and up to 43 on a country road long run)

I went into the experiment with a totally open mind after hearing garage proprietors and some other people, either friends or forum users, swear that I'd get 'more mpg' from the high RON stuff..... all I can now say is 'no way' in my case.

I also became quite a 'saddo' and worked out that a diesel version of the car costs at least £1500 more than my petrol version and that as a full tank on a diesel should get on average 120 to 130 miles more than a full tank of petrol and that given the extra outlay cost for a diesel this would take me at least 66.66 tank fill-ups or 27,000 to 30,000 miles before I broke even. Then there is the cost of a full tank of diesel nowadays to take into account!!! Shocking.

I say, unless you're doing over 27,000 mls a year then get the petrol, it's very economical for such a powerful and wonderful car to drive. I can't fault it ...yet.

I've owned a mixture of diesels and petrol cars over the years but somehow have always preferred the petrol engine and its power delivery/quietness. This car's petrol engine has superb torque from very low revs right up to the end! Fantastic... and far from shameful fuel consumption too.

If this helps you to seal the deal

• Like 1

I've previously posted this on the forum so apologies to others who might have seen this before!

I've had my petrol vRS 2011 FL DSG model for over 7 months now and only use Shell petrol in it.

I've conducted detailed mpg tests on V-Power for many tanks and have now gone back to fuelling with their regular 95 RON and am getting EXACTLY the same mpg figures as above( 36/37 average doing a mix of urban & extra urban roads and up to 43 on a country road long run)

I went into the experiment with a totally open mind after hearing garage proprietors and some other people, either friends or forum users, swear that I'd get 'more mpg' from the high RON stuff..... all I can now say is 'no way' in my case.

I also became quite a 'saddo' and worked out that a diesel version of the car costs at least £1500 more than my petrol version and that as a full tank on a diesel should get on average 120 to 130 miles more than a full tank of petrol and that given the extra outlay cost for a diesel this would take me at least 66.66 tank fill-ups or 27,000 to 30,000 miles before I broke even. Then there is the cost of a full tank of diesel nowadays to take into account!!! Shocking.

I say, unless you're doing over 27,000 mls a year then get the petrol, it's very economical for such a powerful and wonderful car to drive. I can't fault it ...yet.

I've owned a mixture of diesels and petrol cars over the years but somehow have always preferred the petrol engine and its power delivery/quietness. This car's petrol engine has superb torque from very low revs right up to the end! Fantastic... and far from shameful fuel consumption too.

If this helps you to seal the deal

Petrol it is then!

• Like 1